Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Terrible news. RIP SIJ

A Personal Tragedy

Name:  Steph_2.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  186.8 KB

Genuinely humble and very giving maggot... proud of his brood and bride. Had a chance on hill meeting with his two oldest girls and he was beaming. Spent a few hours apres in his workshop each of the last few days of a visit. He liked what he was doing and it easily showed.

We stayed in touch and he shared pictures of his children skiing to be poster sized... gifts to his girls.

"Great to get out with you again. Stephen McD"

glass is half empty today.

much peace and healthy remembrance to his family and friends.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Condolences to family and friends

Never met in person...but answered some questions I had about Jackson.....good guy. RIP...condolences to his family and friends.

Just awful. No words. RIP Stephen.

What an awful tragedy and a loss of an individual who took a different path and brought so much positivity. Condolences to family and friends.

So awful. Sending condolences.

I had the fortune of skiing with Stephen a couple of times, at JHMR in 2017 and at Big Sky in 2018.

Clearly recall skiing Cheyenne Bowl with a little gang of BBi goers.

Stephen in red, right behind b-bear in blue:

Meeting at the flat at the bottom of the bowl, Stephen swooped up in his narrow-feet-wide-arms style, eyes and smile twinkling. "Follow me, let's take the traverse into the sun." I tailed him across the traverse to Split Rock and then down the Rendesvous Trail groomer to the bottom of Sublette, marveling at his smoothness and grace. He looked like he was moving slowly but was not... his style and line choice made everything calm and easy.

with bob at JHMR:

with a bunch of goons at Big Sky:

RIP, kind skier.

Absolutely horrible news. I only met him a couple of times, but was impressed by his giving attitude, and his love for his family. He was so proud of his wife and kids, not in a brag about how rad they were way, but in a humble, my kids do neat stuff way.

He bailed out my stupid ass when I left my boot shells in Skifishbum's Durango (for those who have seen that Durango you will understand). Just as we were rolling down Teton Pass in the SLC/Jackson shuttle I got a call from SFB that he had my shells. We barely made it to town due to raging storms and I was looking at missing an epic powder day due to a lack of boots. Stephen bailed me out with an pair of nice Lange shells he had in my size he acquired for parts. He baked my liners, give me a set of really nice footbeds and fitted the boots up perfectly, all while casually chatting about how his daughter was digging a snow cave in a mound of snow in their yard. I think she was like six or eight. We talked about kids and family like we had been doing it for years. He didn't charge me a dime. He even showed me his secret drawer in his work bench if I need to tweak anything if he wasn't there. I went back and left him a C note and a nice bottle...best buy in boot fitting I ever had.

I skied those shells until they burned up in our house fire, probably the best fitting boots I ever had. Never had to make another tweak in them ever.

Please advise if a gofundme site is launched. This is a man and his family who deserve our help.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

found a couple more

Good description of his skiing style. Spot on. The first time I met him and his two girls eating waffles up top. Said hey and introduced myself cold and we took a couple laps until my then little stepson flew off the catwalk trying to keep up with his slightly older little girl rippers. Stephen and crew took off after that

Those kids are mostly grown up now and he is gone. Crazy.

Like others I drank whiskey and saw him at the Hostel or exchanged texts every time I was in JH after that, he was always up for trying to hook up for a run. He baked my boots and my wife's. He went out of his way to introduce me to his wife and boy even when I was glassy eyed and headed for bed.

I remember now hearing the news about the biker death on IPR and that he was from JH but I wasn't listening close enough to catch the name. I think this stings a little harder since he was taken out here in Iowa down in redneck country where respect for bikers is minimal.

Just tragic. How cool was it to know him. Dude was his own person and danced to his own drums and gave much respect to others who chose a different path to his little corner of JH...and I say that because of the respect he always gave me. Inspiration. His spirit will live on and long with his kids I'm sure...RIP mang.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-04-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Very sad to hear, condolences.

My local boot fitter lost his daughter in a similar way, I am sure he knew SIJ. Maybe time to look on pugski to see if anything has been posted there.

Tragic. Peace to friends and fam.

Oh this is horrible!

I communitcated with him and we were set to make some turns this past winter before Covid shut us down. I feel terrible for his family and friends.

RIP

RIP Skiing-in-Jackson.

Feeling a little empty. Never met IRL but always enjoyed his posts.

Such a bummer. Another cyclist mowed down.

Skied Jackson for the firt time last March and stayed at the Hostel.
    Steven hooked me up with an iron and those cool wooden tunning blocks in his shop.
    Saw him skiing in jeans and his full Jackson Cowboy set up on one of the Bluebird days that week, had to do a double take when i saw the outfit and almost stopped to take a photo...wish i did.

Condolenses to the family, his friends and the Jackson ski community.

REST IN PEACE!!!

Terrible news! RIP Skiing in jackson.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Never met him but always appreciated his dedication to the westy and thoughtful posts. Keep on truckin’ SIJ

Awful news. Rest in Peace.

Just heard the news. Such an incredible guy! We had a lot of great chats over the years.
    So sad. But will always have awesome memories!

just fuck!!! +++++vibes to the jackson fam

This is terrible. I never met the man but I appreciate the wisdom he contributed here. My sincere condolences to all who knew and loved him.

terrible, RIP maggot

Some wonderful tributes here. I wish I had met him.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Stephen skiing down behind my stepson after he made his first lap ever down the bowl in 2010. Here is the 100 day thread as well. That is how I knew who SIJ was when I saw them in Corbet's Cabin. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...n-Resort/page3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060397.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	812.9 KB 
ID:	336326

Dude is stoke to the core.