1968 Grenoble Killy Pwns It All

Love this footie. Narrated in French. Total time capsule. Great skiing. Major yardsales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsgL...ture=emb_title

not many things have been done better. picked up the new setup from the shop the other day.

your link is broken fyi

Shows on my screen. I'll look on my phone.

Shows on my phone.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using TGR Forums mobile app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200802_023600.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	336067

Thank you for this, splat --

Killy was a little before my time, but I read Greenberg's biography, 'Comeback' - that told the story of his joining Beattie's ProTour in '72 ( and winning) - and I was aware of his time on the Pro Tour in the seventies ( they would not let him back on the WorldCup circuit ( and there is certainly the claim that the ProTour exposure was better for his marketing ))

( also, pretty hard to argue with a perfect score on the inaugural World Cup ( 1967 : 225/225. )
    he did not win every race - in '67 they counted the top three placings in three disciplines, and Killy had (at least) three wins in each. )

his story of the Olympic downhill on skis he had 'ruined' is legend(-ary ) --

anyway.

oh. and what he has done since is to be Respected
    ( business empire, 1992Olympics, Olympic movement- )

anyway.
    Thanks for the memories - skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Thank you for this, splat --

Killy was a little before my time, but I read Greenberg's biography, 'Comeback' - that told the story of his joining Beattie's ProTour in '72 ( and winning) - and I was aware of his time on the Pro Tour in the seventies ( they would not let him back on the WorldCup circuit ( and there is certainly the claim that the ProTour exposure was better for his marketing ))

( also, pretty hard to argue with a perfect score on the inaugural World Cup ( 1967 : 225/225. )
    he did not win every race - in '67 they counted the top three placings in three disciplines, and Killy had (at least) three wins in each. )

his story of the Olympic downhill on skis he had 'ruined' is legend(-ary ) --

anyway.

oh. and what he has done since is to be Respected
    ( business empire, 1992Olympics, Olympic movement- )

anyway.
    Thanks for the memories - skiJ
    Great memories indeed - the reason I took French instead of Spanish in high school ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Link isn't broken you just have to watch it on Youtube, there is a link right on the video taking you to it.

The opening shot of that video is impressive. I'm guessing it was a camera guy hanging out the heli door and the pilot had to follow and pivot around the skier the entire run for the cameraman to frame the skier and get the shot. And the two pretty much nailed it.

good stuff. the pain train )

yeah i know.

Killy was my early childhood hero. I still have his book, "SKIING.... the Killy Way" on my book shelf. The guy was beyond his time.

Mine too.
    When I have security questions on websites of who my childhood hero was, JK Killy is always the answer.

Dood is a legend. Didn’t he ski VR17s? Bet that he could shred pow like Coombs, too

okay - but just because for a long time I was a huge fan...

it is my understanding Killy was on VR17s in the '60s - for his WorldCup and Olympic triumphs --
    there was a section in 'Comeback' that told of this, as he was choosing equipment for the ProTour --
    Killy and his serviceman, Michel Arpin considered Dynamic, but did not believe they could get the inventory from Dynamic that Rossignol and TeamRossignol provided ( I believe there were other considerations as well
    ( by the early 70s, Rossi was a Very major manufacturer )
    in 'Comeback', Killy expressed great appreciation for Michel Arpin --
    those of you who know Racing more and better than I can probably cite a handful of Servicemen who were/are vital to a racer's success...

some of the later photos I saw of Killy from the ProTour had him on K2s --
    notably, Spider Sabich had had success on K2s, and it is my impression the ProTour raised K2's profile before a pair of twins from Washington raced them successfully in the late 70s and 80s...

glory days... skiJ

Thanks for the memories... ! !!

postscript -
    in '67 , Killy won twelve of seventeen races -