Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: HURRICANE 2020

Did Marco already get swallowed by Laura?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Back to the storm for a minute, the forecast is pretty crazy. Dies down some, crosses the mid-south as a depression, goes into the Atlantic, re-forms as a tropical storm, and charges up the coast all the way past newfoundland. Just about anything could happen with this thing.

The mid-south, I say.
    Can we please all agree that this particular cone of uncertainty is the most ambitious, overcompensating cone of uncertainty ever?
    I still call it The Jake.

Categorize under didn't expect it.

Is that your cone of uncertainty or are you just happy to see me?

After the Alabama incident a few years ago the NWS is really covering their bases on potential impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Back to the storm for a minute, the forecast is pretty crazy. Dies down some, crosses the mid-south as a depression, goes into the Atlantic, re-forms as a tropical storm, and charges up the coast all the way past newfoundland. Just about anything could happen with this thing.

The mid-south, I say.
    Great. CT. was out of power for a week from that stupid little tropical storm a few weeks ago, and they're still cleaning up after it all.

Central VT looking at a soaking from a combo of Laura and a front heading SE from Ontario. 4.25" from the last one, but no wind, we'll see how this stacks up.

Friday NightRain likely, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

SaturdayRain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 65. Southeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Saturday NightRain likely before 8pm, then showers likely, mainly between 8pm and 2am. The rain could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Waiting since 1856 for Laura to arrive. Good luck to residents.

nbcnews.com/live-blog/hurricane-laura-makes-landfall-category-4-
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I’ll posit the mid west runs from Denver to the western edge of the Mississippi, where afterwards, depending on latitude, you find yourself in either the Great Lakes region, Mid-south or the Southeast.

The Great Lakes continue through and include Upstate New York, wherever the fuck that is; the Mid-south extends east until the Mid-Atlantic, and the Southeast continues to the sea.

Except for Florida. That’s it’s own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    3 of the nation's largest refineries in a direct path. Have you driven the Jersey turnpike and tolerated that giant refinery? Each one of these is at least twice as big. Major pipeline all along the initial path, too.

All on the day Trump invites a thousand to the White House to hear him blather through his acceptance speech. Thank you, God.
    At my old job, I had to travel to the Orange/Beaumont, Texas area more than a few times. They're sorta halfway btwn Houston and NOLA (a bit closer to Houston. Basically, you landed at IAH, drove south about an half-hour into Houston, took a left and drove due east.

About five miles outside of Houston, off to the left, you could see your first plant, I think was Chevron...but then it was like refinery...rubber plant...chem plant...refinery...refinery...for the next 100 miles (200 FAIK). Given the E to W winds, while sitting in Orange, you could almost feel yourself getting cancer.

Aside from flood and wind, I can't even imagine the potential environmental disaster a 30' storm surge could cause in that area.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Never turn your back on the ocean. Nana next?
    https://twitter.com/FBCSO/status/129...249742336?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    At my old job, I had to travel to the Orange/Beaumont, Texas area more than a few times. They're sorta halfway btwn Houston and NOLA (a bit closer to Houston. Basically, you landed at IAH, drove south about an half-hour into Houston, took a left and drove due east.

About five miles outside of Houston, off to the left, you could see your first plant, I think was Chevron...but then it was like refinery...rubber plant...chem plant...refinery...refinery...for the next 100 miles (200 FAIK). Given the E to W winds, while sitting in Orange, you could almost feel yourself getting cancer.

Aside from flood and wind, I can't even imagine the potential environmental disaster a 30' storm surge could cause in that area.
    Aunt and Uncle were in Orange for 40 sum years until recent retirement. Katrina and Rita devastated that area.

During Rita they evacuated north to their lake house (now home) on Charles. They (aunt uncle and two cousins) ended up scared in a hot closet for six hours as the house shook and trees crashed outside.

Sally storm surge coming in Gulf Breeze, landfall is suppose to be 1am with another 4’ to 5’ surge predicted plus 30” of rain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8B4DD26-F861-4A8A-85CA-CBE0032601EF.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	474.9 KB 
ID:	340289

Name:	EA35B0EF-826B-49D1-B967-02ACE4E83261.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	340290

That is a shit ton of water coming.

Crikey, how old is the Govenor of Alabama? Is she the state Meemaw?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Seems like another Harvey. Saw some thing about climate change recently that said that one of the effects of CC is a slowing jet stream, so these storms as well as dry weather are moving slower so these things hang around longer.

I saw noted hurricane-chaser Jim Cantore standing in waist deep water on TV this morning, but just behind him and to the right was a TV van that was barely in it up to the rims.

WTF is the point of that, Jim?

^You don't want the waterline over the differential vent tubes.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    You may be interested in this 2018 article: https://wbhm.org/feature/2018/why-pe...gov-iveys-age/

Name:  6B81BEB0-41FD-418E-95AA-79417F3CA8E5.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  107.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^You don't want the waterline over the differential vent tubes.
    Side benefit of flipping the car too I guess?

Name:	DCAFFD99-4E46-4F8F-A5B1-AC6356A13CD2.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	340407

They just finished this side of the new bridge, a 5 to 30 mile trip to Pensacola just became 60 to 30 miles depending on where you live on the peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    younger than Biden....

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post

Name:	DCAFFD99-4E46-4F8F-A5B1-AC6356A13CD2.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	340407

They just finished this side of the new bridge, a 5 to 30 mile trip to Pensacola just became 60 to 30 miles depending on where you live on the peninsula.
    I say put up a couple ramps and let Darwin take care of the Dodge drivers.

Or just change the name to the 2 long piers and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    younger than Biden....
    Yeah she's 37. Living in Alabama ages you fast.