Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: HURRICANE 2020

You’re welcome, and vibes anyway. Whole thing sucks. All the rat flu bs and now this. People trying to stash away food and then have to throw it out. Economy isn’t booming there anyway I’m sure this doesn’t help. Not sure if the crops are still covered by subsidies and or insurance. I hope so. Hang in there man.

good luck ugly, glad to hear it's not worse at your house

Right on RS. It is 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb sack.

Thankfully my treasured swamp white oak survived completely unscathed and with a lot of babying my deep freezer stayed cold. I'm a deer hunter so to lose my freezer would have really sucked. So sorry your family back here couldn't save there's. It was my ski friends from the tristate area that loaned the gen since they were not effected. More or less 100% of people in Linn county lost power.

Thanks muted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Yeah we talked about them a little earlier in the thread, I had never heard the term until 2012 when one came through the DC area and ripped the shit out of things. 10 minutes start to finish and shit was fucked up. No power for over a week.
    That thing was nuts. My MIL lived 250 miles west and called to warn us after it hit her. I scoffed and went for a run. Heading back to the house a couple hours later, I saw an ominous dark wall engulfing the mountains and moving quickly towards us. One of the most awesomely frightening things I’ve ever seen.

Trees down everywhere. Some of them looked like they’d been grabbed and twisted off halfway up. Lots of neighborhood damage but we came away pretty unscathed, a tree down and some missing siding. Neighbors yards were covered in debris, but mine was eerily completely clean.

No power for over a week. I had filled my freezer two weeks before with a half cow and half pig so we scrambled to find a generator. Big box stores were cleaned out and were already gouging for the next shipments. Found one on Craigslist that was still available. On the way to go get it the guy had three more calls about it, each offering more than what we’d agreed on. He turned them all down and told me “a deal’s a deal”. Super nice old guy. We used it to run the freezer and a window unit because we dove straight into a heatwave the day after the storm.

On the evening the power came back, I carried in a whole meal I’d cooked on the neighbor’s grill. Right as I was saying something like “I’m getting the hang of this”, the power turned back on. Sandy hit a few weeks later and was uneventful because all the weak trees and limbs had been taken out.

Vibes to Iowa, uglymoney. Stay safe over there.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Our power came back Monday evening. The street behind us with overhead lines has no power still and they are far from alone.

NWS is now estimating peak winds in Cedar Rapids were 140 mph. I think my Owen's Corning architectual shingles (top of the line) are rated to 136 mph. Somehow they held and show zero sign of storm damage. We are about 900 ft above sea level. So the air is thick as fuck. 140 mph is cooking.

When the power came back with the help of our lights and shadows I discovered my 2 inch thick R19 Overhead Door has a kink in the front of it and the roller wheel brackets are bent. It was a $1500 door so I filed an insurance claim. Between that and the front window pane being blown out and gutter damage and assorted other stuff it became a no brainer to file. 90% of houses have damage of some kind. Our neighbors skinnier garage door was blown clean in.

Watch this link. This is on a road that is one of the ways I go to work. Only about 3 miles from my house. Derecho going the fuck off.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1342374747

Last edited by uglymoney; 08-19-2020 at 03:30 PM.

NWS summary. I can tell you since I work outside that is was wicked sticky and warm that day. I told my wife how terrible the humidity and heat was on our normal conversation on her way to work. I deliver food out of refrigerated trailers into restaurants so I'm pretty in tune with temps. It was the kind of heat and humidity that used to be rare in August, but has now become common. So no matter what the final determination over climate change and derechos, there is no question in my mind this storm went off because of all the energy available which was more than it should have been in August.

Atkins is directly west of my house and they had a measured wind gust of 126 mph. Between us and Atkins is about a mile of nice undulating terrain with trees mixed use and then just flat corn.

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/summary_...wu0YTu-F7_B-4E

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (24).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	337666
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (23).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	337665  

That clip is bananas

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    That clip is bananas
    Right?

Did the window blow out and then they hit the deck as it was sucking shit out? Looked like their window was in the lee of the storm.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Right?

Did the window blow out and then they hit the deck as it was sucking shit out? Looked like their window was in the lee of the storm.
    I’m guessing the roof got ripped off.

If you go to that guys page he has a couple more clips that show them sheltering with the wind and no roof and then walking around right after. This is all section 8 housing so a lot of the displaced people have nothing to fall back on and nowhere to to go. Not these guys obviously but we have a small Tanzanian refugee population that lives there and they are hurting...though the community has rallied to their aid once people were made aware

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00026861448070

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00026861448070

Gulf of Mexico, west Atlantic, and eastern pacific are looking active....

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    NWS summary. I can tell you since I work outside that is was wicked sticky and warm that day. I told my wife how terrible the humidity and heat was on our normal conversation on her way to work. I deliver food out of refrigerated trailers into restaurants so I'm pretty in tune with temps. It was the kind of heat and humidity that used to be rare in August, but has now become common. So no matter what the final determination over climate change and derechos, there is no question in my mind this storm went off because of all the energy available which was more than it should have been in August.

Atkins is directly west of my house and they had a measured wind gust of 126 mph. Between us and Atkins is about a mile of nice undulating terrain with trees mixed use and then just flat corn.

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/summary_...wu0YTu-F7_B-4E
    That was a ridiculous storm. The footage from some of those links is like what you would see from a cat 3-4 hurricane eyewall. However, in hurricanes you don't get to see much footage since most people get evacuated from the areas expected to get the worst of the storm well in advance of its arrival. That storm in Iowa had very little warning. Did they issue any "tornado" warnings even though there were technically no tornadoes? Seems like a storm with widespread 100+ mph sustain winds would warrant such a warning.
    I'm glad you and the rest of the CR area are starting to recover.
    Thankfully, my family in the Waterloo area fared rather well as they barely got missed by the worst of the storm.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

And back to hurricanes...
    Reminder that this site has a ton of great links

https://spaghettimodels.com/
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    That was a ridiculous storm. The footage from some of those links is like what you would see from a cat 3-4 hurricane eyewall. However, in hurricanes you don't get to see much footage since most people get evacuated from the areas expected to get the worst of the storm well in advance of its arrival. That storm in Iowa had very little warning. Did they issue any "tornado" warnings even though there were technically no tornadoes? Seems like a storm with widespread 100+ mph sustain winds would warrant such a warning.
    I'm glad you and the rest of the CR area are starting to recover.
    Thankfully, my family in the Waterloo area fared rather well as they barely got missed by the worst of the storm.
    Yep Waterloo was all good. I drove up there that same night, past overturned everything. Up in Cedar Falls people were like what storm?

There was our tornado/severe thunderstorm/nuclear disaster siren that went off about 15 minutes before this hit. It ran for about a minute and then it quit. My storm radio went off also. And they were talking about it on TV and my daughter tuned in since all storms freak her out and she tried to warn me it was not looking good, but that is her normal schtick. I was outside working on stuff after work and getting stuff put away and the trash ready for pickup. I was thinking 60-70 mph winds, routine summer severe thunderstorm, meh. I think the NWS is debating this right now. I read they consider that their forecast East of CR adequate but it was too short of notice for CR and points west.

This storm will be studied and talked about for years and years to come around here. The rest of the Merica, not so much, everybody has their own disaster to deal with and with all the stuff going off right now on top of a pandemic and recession people everywhere have had enough of all of it. Disaster fatigue. Some of the loud morons around here are screaming like annoying children that we didn't get enough attention but I think that is because a lot of Iowans pay little attention to the outside world. If they did they'd just count their blessings and saw shit up and move on like we are trying to do. I think I'm heading to a high fire risk zone here soon, not having enough to worry about apparently. Shrug.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...sting-20200816

such a nice day for a hurricane.... lets have two!

Name:  856338EB-2C21-4BBC-BEE5-64ABA98DDEF9.jpeg
Views: 1044
Size:  93.5 KB

It’s, a perfect storm.
    I still call it The Jake.

Yikes. A dualie. I wonder what the the storm surge in NO is gonna look like?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    It’s, a perfect storm.

Singular. storm.

Plural. storms.

The plural form of storm; more than one (kind of) storm.

fact....

Yeah, but they didn’t make a movie about perfect storms. Maybe some documentaries?

Documentaries are made after the fact. This particular incident, has not yet occurred. I am sure the documentaries about this historic meteorological event will be forthcoming post haste. Possibly available on Netflix.

Whatever it/they is/are, it's pretty nutty. Both supposed to make landfall Wednesday.

Looks like The Keys are fucked if that track holds. NO will be underwater as will pretty much everything west to Houston and east to the FL Panhandle. What a mess.

NPR says first time in recorded history. They didn’t say what would happen if the track changes and they overlap. Would it become one stronger storm? Or would they knock each other out?

2 storms enter, 1 storm leaves