Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: HURRICANE 2020

It's Covidcane, Dewey. And you don't want no part of that shit!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    8am Monday:

The 2 AM Wednesday mark is basically on top of my house. Could get interesting.

I am so stoked to begin my road trip to S. FL. tomorrow morning. I will travel P.C.-Aspen-Salida-Dallas-Pensecola-Orlando. Then, either Jupiter-Coral Gables, or Naples-Coral Gables. My plan is to pull into C.G. on Thursday. Hopefully, I will make a few night casts in the pan handle surf, then either in Jupiter of off Marco Island, before pulling into C.G. Because of COVID, much of my nights will be surf fishing Key Biscayne. Next Tuesday, I have a few days scheduled in Islamorada. I think that snook, Pompano and tarpon fishing will be outstanding.

Another interesting issue during the storm is the splashdown of astronauts. It's going to be a fun ride for me, but a wild one for them
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I’m in Jupiter, right across from the pier. We just had a lot of sand move for the better. Snook fishing has been great for me (non human hours).

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The 2 AM Wednesday mark is basically on top of my house. Could get interesting.
    I once spent the most intense 24 hours of what a tropical storm could be in a house on the Jersey shore, right on the beach, and it was tense at times. 65 mph winds for about 8 hours, which doesn't sound like much, but, don't go outside and pray for the roof, which is making ugly sounds. Boat owners have to be freaking out, and there's a lot of them in the path. Can you insure a boat for something like this? I watched a really nice 28 fort Hunter sailboat, pretty new, nice deep green hull with teak everywhere, just get disintegrated during a northeaster off City Island. Tie those fuckers down.

spahetti model is pretty consistent at this point:

Looks like they tossed in a few for Trump.

Waiting on a Bmills check in. Is all the patio furniture still upright?

The way this is going we're not even gonna get any rain out of it and we really need rain here. I'm giving up on the grass if we don't get at least an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Waiting on a Bmills check in. Is all the patio furniture still upright?
    It was crankin earlier, definitely seen way worse but it was nice to watch the waves and the surge knowing it’s not trying to rip the roof off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CD787B8-7680-4D3C-AF2B-F73997B3EF8C.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	336263

Then the rain stopped but the swell kept coming. Crazy waves, no consistency and they were really heavy, even if not 10 feet tall.

Name:	84DB7EF8-2D7F-4B53-82B9-92C67A25567A.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	459.6 KB 
ID:	336264
    I still call it The Jake.

I would enjoy that. Love feeling a touch of mama’s force. Just as long as she isn’t really pissed. Happy for your patio furniture too.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I would enjoy that. Love feeling a touch of mama’s force. Just as long as she isn’t really pissed. Happy for your patio furniture too.
    Thanks man, I totally agree. Sometimes it’s just fun to toss on the rain shell and stand out there watching it all go off - knowing you’re gonna be ok.

I think we lost more deck furniture in the derecho a few years back. Never forget.

That 2012 derecho that went through DC fucked shit some up. We didn't have power for a week. That thing was like 10 minutes from start to finish and shit was wrecked.

That 2012 derecho that went through DC fucked shit some up. We didn't have power for a week. That thing was like 10 minutes from start to finish and shit was wrecked.
    Right? Weird fucking things. Years ago we were at the beach and when we got home the remnants of Ivan came through as a derecho and shit was destroyed.

The one that came across low country (I think the same as the one you’re talking about) basically took anything not healthy vegetation-wise and laid it down in the same direction to equal effect.

On the bright side for the next few years and even to an extent now, when it's really windy or an ice storm pretty much nothing comes down.

On the bright side for the next few years and even to an extent now, when it's really windy or an ice storm pretty much nothing comes down.
    That is, until you decide to take 5,000 of Detroit iron for a spin into the nearest telephone pole though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I once spent the most intense 24 hours of what a tropical storm could be in a house on the Jersey shore, right on the beach, and it was tense at times. 65 mph winds for about 8 hours, which doesn't sound like much, but, don't go outside and pray for the roof, which is making ugly sounds. Boat owners have to be freaking out, and there's a lot of them in the path. Can you insure a boat for something like this? I watched a really nice 28 fort Hunter sailboat, pretty new, nice deep green hull with teak everywhere, just get disintegrated during a northeaster off City Island. Tie those fuckers down.
    Just think, a 130 mph wind will exert about 3 times the force of that little blow. Dorians winds exerted 7-8 times the force.

Yes boat insurance exists for hurricanes. Typically in an agreed value policy. I knew plenty of people who hoped for their boat to sink when a storm came in.

Speaking of Dorian, here’s a few shots from when I was on the east side of Grand Bahama last year. That was a humbling storm. The people of Abaco and GB will be impacted by that storm for decades to come.

Name:	IMG_1699.JPG 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	336273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	335.1 KB 
ID:	336274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1699.JPG 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	336273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	336275

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I also spend a lot of time on the SE Atlantic coast and it ain’t nothing like that. .
    I would respectfully disagree. I haven't spent a lot of time at say Pawleys or Surfside the past few years, but 15 years ago there was literraly no beach at high tide, with the water coming under some houses butilt out on stilts. My cousin who is beachfront Pawleys put some pictures up yesterday; I can't figure out how to post them but it sure looks the same.

HHI is way, way the exception with so much buffer.
    "Can't you see..."

That derecho keep me crazy busy for 6 months.
    Lot of wind and rain here this morning, good for the garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I would respectfully disagree. I haven't spent a lot of time at say Pawleys or Surfside the past few years, but 15 years ago there was literraly no beach at high tide, with the water coming under some houses butilt out on stilts. My cousin who is beachfront Pawleys put some pictures up yesterday; I can't figure out how to post them but it sure looks the same.

HHI is way, way the exception with so much buffer.
    No I hear you. HHI is the standard I think. But generally, I think SC and GA do a good job of not looking like the Jersey Shore or the Outer Banks in terms of stacking houses on top of each other with no buffer or tree cover to speak of.

Yeah but do you have Snooki and the Situation?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Regrettably, no.

But we do have the cast of Southern Charm, which is much more attractive and (relatively) refined, even if underneath it all they’re not that different from Snooki and the Sitch.

You’re still gonna need a VD test.

Southern NC beaches (Sunset, Ocean Isle) did a good job of building back and maintaining dunes and vegetation, but they had the space to work with. Parts of the OBX and places like Emerald Isle, you stand on the beach side dunes and clearly see the sound. Those places are probably doomed.

It’s not all build, build, build after houses are lost. Plenty of places that were hit and either never rebuilt (North Topsail comes to mind) or were rebuilt with a significant buffer. It’s interesting to look at the parcel maps for some of those islands and see that the beachfront house is actually the third parcel back.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

It is VERY rainy here...like BONKERS rain...since 3:30a.m. Most rain I've seen in forever.

EDIT to add: Tornadoes in the immediate area. "Take shelter" warnings!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.