Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are fingerless gloves now stupid?

Glove shopping, seems like the vast majority of warm weather gloves cover everything. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to fashion. Are fingerless gloves out for warm weather biking?

Yes

I was wondering the same thing at the bike store today, there were numerous full gloves and only one style fingerless, but I bought fingerless anyway.

It's not like my fingertips are why I'm so fucking hot.

Also, they were always stupid.

For road biking, yes.
    For Mountain Biking?
    That shit has been gaperific since 1998.
    But you do you...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

At the risk of outing myself as a kook, I’ll admit that I prefer fingerless gloves. It’s not about hot, it’s something to do with the tactile sensation of touching the shift and brake levers with bare skin; I just don’t like full fingered gloves all that much. I’d probably be more self conscious about looking like a beater if I wasn’t an above average rider.

Humblebrag alert!

Modern thin gloves interface with my shifter and brakes better than my skin 95% of the time. The other 5% I take my gloves and put them in my pack.

They’ve saved my skin innumerable times, the silicon or whatever else grips my brakes better...

But yeah... do you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I couldn’t find any gloves I really liked last time I needed some so I quit wearing them.

Free the powder still makes them
    . . .

Don't all the cool kids go gloveless these days?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I think I left my gloves on my tailgate the other day at the trailhead and lost them. So the next couple of rides I went gloveless and I hated it. Slick from sweat and poor brake feel.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    yeah and they all cut the sleeves off their t shirts roadie/farmer tans are out
    full finger gloves are stupid if your missing a couple tops of your fingers, its just a weird, you end up with a floppy gloved finger with nothing in it so I always use fingerless gloves

I don't know how kids ride without them. I sweat like Ted Striker and my hands were sliding all over the place when I forgot my gloves one day.

Fingerless are definitely stoopid, but just like fanny/hip packs, they'll come back around

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I don't know how kids ride without them. :
    I suspect it's due to Gold Bond.

When the hell did Gold Bond become a thing with the under-20 crowd??

Gold Bond should only be used on one part of the body and it aint your hands...

Yes. But if you really need some...Hand Up just put out a few for the LOUD crowd!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

you'd think half finger gloves would be more popular these days with everyone needing to document their activities on instagram and shizz. Those iphone friendly pointer fingers on full finger gloves generally tend to stink

I don't know how kids ride without them. I sweat like Ted Striker and my hands were sliding all over the place when I forgot my gloves one day.
    I agree. last time I forgot my gloves my hand slipped and I took a landing straight to the side of my face
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Yes. But if you really need some...Hand Up just put out a few for the LOUD crowd!
    Hand Up has amazing graphics but are some of the most uncomfortable and poorly made gloves I've ever worn.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    you'd think half finger gloves would be more popular these days with everyone needing to document their activities on instagram and shizz. Those iphone friendly pointer fingers on full finger gloves generally tend to stink
    I got some fox something-or-other with the e-tip, I figured that without needing to be both warm and dextrous and durable like my ski touring gloves, surely the touchscreen thing would work perfectly but yeah it sucks ass... at least they were cheap

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I got some fox something-or-other with the e-tip, I figured that without needing to be both warm and dextrous and durable like my ski touring gloves, surely the touchscreen thing would work perfectly but yeah it sucks ass... at least they were cheap
    I dunno...I only wear "minimalist" type gloves (Fox Ranger, POC essential, etc.); for me, they work about as good as any other non-padded glove.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I sweat like Ted Striker
    Me too

I cut just the fingertip off of a full finger glove. Worked great for Photos/music/Strava management, but still felt a bit weird on the brake lever.

I've used fingerless touring in hot weatehr in yurp but I want protection for mtn biking so i use a hardier version the mechanix gloves with rubber protection strips on the back of the fingers

edit: also wear full elbow pads & knee padz, noticed a big crack in the back of my helmet ( how did that ghet there ?) so I bought a new one with mips

most of this year has been cold but today in the intense heat of summer it might get all the way up to 75 F
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-31-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I ride with an older friend in his 50s. Still rocking fingerless gloves and short ankle socks. He rides his ass off harder than most of the people in their 30s I know. I just bite my tongue on the gaperism.

Same with another buddy I ride bike park with sometimes who wears sunglasses with a full face lol.