Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Shift Meal

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Grits don't even get up here, I've never seen them in a restaurant anywhere near here. The Grits Line is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line but not by that much, it's somewhere in northern Virginia I'd say.
    Hipster restaurants just call it creamy polenta and charge $19 for the side in inner SE pdx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7855.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	337176
    Made it through two bites of the egg sammich before re-thinking and breaking out the Cheerios.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
    You referring to the toilet wine or burritto?
    Toilet wine and churros as an undiscovered delicacy.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Hipster restaurants just call it creamy polenta and charge $19 for the side in inner SE pdx
    Fact. And NYC, Chicago and pretty much everywhere else.

The last 10 years has seen an explosion of southern cuisine and bbq restaurants (remember going out?) everywhere not the South.

Chefs like Sean Brock, Mike Lata, and Kevin Gillespie lead the way by elevating America’s true original cuisine to the point that it became a culinary trend points north.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post

Name:	IMG_7855.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	337176
    Made it through two bites of the egg sammich before re-thinking and breaking out the Cheerios.
    no bullshit, for convicts that shit seems pretty choice. I bet there are tons of people in third world countries just hoping to get in jail here.

Free Shift Meal

It’s a small facility, and not much opportunity or space for recreation, so I think they buff out the menu to keep ‘em fat and happy.

On a side note, if I had kids, and ever had to do time, NFW they’re visiting me and normalizing incarceration.

Tell ‘em I joined the merchant marines and will be at sea for the next ______ years.

Fish Taco Friday! One of my personal faves!

Name:	IMG_7857.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	337203

You edited your post, but fuck "deterrence." All but a handful of people who go to prison get out eventually, usually sooner than later. Treating them like actual human beings is the only way there's the slightest possibility they might not come out worse people than when they went in.

“A Nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but it's lowest ones”

― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

yeah but for-profit prisons are a growing industry/ great money makers, same with privately funded HC

why do you hate America ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Boy this thread has taken some interesting twists and turns. (In true TGR form)

What I want to know is, hows Parvo doing?? He seemed pretty distraught there over the loss of the free hoagie, and he hasn't updated what he's eating for lunch now... Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You edited your post, but fuck "deterrence." All but a handful of people who go to prison get out eventually, usually sooner than later. Treating them like actual human beings is the only way there's the slightest possibility they might not come out worse people than when they went in.

“A Nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but it's lowest ones”

― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
    This could be a whole other thread. IMO, there’s not enough focus on rehabilitation, mental health and teaching job/life skills. We’d still have repeat offenders, but some anyway would benefit more than from a full gym and playstation access.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Boy this thread has taken some interesting twists and turns. (In true TGR form)

What I want to know is, hows Parvo doing?? He seemed pretty distraught there over the loss of the free hoagie, and he hasn't updated what he's eating for lunch now... Inquiring minds want to know!
    Parvo coveteth my churros.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Parvo coveteth my churros.
    I'll never look at a "churro" in Amerikkka the same after going to Spain. Costco serves a glorified crueller and labels it a churro. A real one is a pastry, not a doughnut.

Name:	IMG_20200228_203420.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	337206

Name:	IMG_20200225_192615.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	337207

For comparison here is a doughnut.

Name:	IMG_20200225_100938.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	337208
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Today's lunch. And no, I'm not 12 and the child of a single mother.
    I found this in the break room so technically it's today's free shift meal.

I've also lost about 5 pounds, prolly from the hoagie-less diet I'm on.

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	658.3 KB 
ID:	337212

You gonna finish that?

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Was it in a brown paper bag with someone's name on it?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah but for-profit prisons are a growing industry/ great money makers, same with privately funded HC

why do you hate America ?
    I know you’re probably great guy and we’d get along swimmingly in person, but the Canuckistan version of Waldorf and Statler from the cheap seats of the Narth in every gotdamed thread is old. We got it. Your prisons are daisy fields and the shift meals are all Alberta Beef with a side of healthcare.

Worry about yourself is what an American child would tell you. And maybe winning the Cup for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Today's lunch. And no, I'm not 12 and the child of a single mother.

I've also lost about 5 pounds, prolly from the hoagie-less diet I'm on.

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	658.3 KB 
ID:	337212
    I can count 2, maybe 2.5 groups of the nutrition pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Your prisons are daisy fields and the shift meals are all Alberta Beef with a side of healthcare.
    An interval ago, I served the good old ranchers of the AB Cattleman's Association. To a man, they ordered their prime AB steak well done, with ketchup.
    While our Dominion governance may have a tad longer tradition, our society suffers in disturbingly similar ways to yours. Trade deficit, I think not.
    Dog kill the Queen!

Free Shift Meal

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Grits don't even get up here, I've never seen them in a restaurant anywhere near here. The Grits Line is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line but not by that much, it's somewhere in northern Virginia I'd say.
    The shrimp and grits fad swept through here like everywhere else, and grits are on every breakfast menu, but it’s not something I see a lot of.

I save my goin’ out grit and succotash eating for our visits to ACME on Sullivan’s. Otherwise I stock up on Geechie Boy and make em at home.

With the exception of hominy grits, grits and polenta are the same thing. Alton Brown said so.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

So what are hominy grits? for that matter what is hominy? It always sounded to me like something you'd say if you couldn't think of the word you want. "I'll have some...uh..hominy...grits."

Free Shift Meal

Heh. Hominy is corn that’s been nixtamalized. Dry it and grind it up and it becomes hominy grits.

So hominy was created because southern rednecks couldn’t pronounce nixtamalized?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

I save my goin’ out grit and succotash eating for our visits to ACME on Sullivan’s. Otherwise I stock up on Geechie Boy and make em at home.
    Ahem, acme on Isle of Palms, just shy of the the bridge to Sullivan’s

And fuck yes that place is awesome. Ate brunch there just last Sunday.

Went over to Sullivan’s after I worked it off in the ocean. Fucking hell, the women on Sullivan’s are some of the most beautiful in the world. The whole city in general is blessed in that regard but Sullivan’s, man, the prettiest birds in the whole flock nest there.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Ahem, acme on Isle of Palms, just shy of the the bridge to Sullivan’s

And fuck yes that place is awesome. Ate brunch there just last Sunday.

Went over to Sullivan’s after I worked it off in the ocean. Fucking hell, the women on Sullivan’s are some of the most beautiful in the world. The whole city in general is blessed in that regard but Sullivan’s, man, the prettiest birds in the whole flock nest there.
    Well, that's embarrassing. I can drive us there, which I guess is what matters. Driving back after a Dozer and a few Mimosas is another story.

You're not kidding. College of Charleston helps, but it's not only college-age women that are drawn there. I think they all stop at the Whole Foods in Mount P on their way to the beach. The concentration of hotness there is uncanny.

I’m basically a Northern boy with Southern roots. I never cared for grits growing up, and still wouldn’t think of ordering them.

But I have to say, after my redneck Louisiana cousins introduced me to something called “garlic cheese grits” my resistance crumbled a bit.