Sad news from Argentina

https://snowbrains.com/chief-of-patr...igation-today/

The Chief of Patrol at Cerro Catedral, Argentina died today after being caught in an avalanche while conducting avalanche mitigation work.

Mario Ruiz and his team were carrying out pre-opening tasks this morning when the avalanche occurred in the northern sector of Catedral in an area named “Avalancha”. The ski area has seen large accumulations of snow in the last few days. An avalanche at La Hoya, Argentina over the weekend destroyed a quad chairlift.

https://snowbrains.com/avalanche-des...oya-argentina/

gnarly. best wishes.

Mario was part of a Patrol exchange at Aspen Highlands last winter. He was a gentleman and a hard worker. We looked forward to see him at Catedral this August.
    How quickly things can change.
    He will be missed by many.

jummo

RIP, thank you Mario.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

hard work, glorious, low pay, explosives, no pay, skiing, etc.

kudos to patrol.

Shit. Toured with him one day at Catedral some years back during a day when the resort was on storm hold. Nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Vibes. I wonder if I came across his path while skiing there?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Long time lurker, but I felt compelled to say a few words about Mario. I met him in August of 2006 while skiing at Cerro Catedral. On a particularly bad weather day with hardly any visibility, I was out looking up at the mountain and deciding whether I wanted to ski it. I guess a guy standing near me could sense my thought process and said this: "You know when you're at home in the dead of night and you have to go to the kitchen, and you go all the way there without turning on any lights and you don't bump into anything?" I said, "Sure." Then he said: "My name is Mario, and this is my home. Ski with me today." I put my trust in him that day, and we had a blast. Thanks for a beautiful day my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by boredtoo View Post
    Long time lurker, but I felt compelled to say a few words about Mario. I met him in August of 2006 while skiing at Cerro Catedral. On a particularly bad weather day with hardly any visibility, I was out looking up at the mountain and deciding whether I wanted to ski it. I guess a guy standing near me could sense my thought process and said this: "You know when you're at home in the dead of night and you have to go to the kitchen, and you go all the way there without turning on any lights and you don't bump into anything?" I said, "Sure." Then he said: "My name is Mario, and this is my home. Ski with me today." I put my trust in him that day, and we had a blast. Thanks for a beautiful day my friend.
    Dang.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That put a lump in my throat.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yeah man. I didn't know him but that short story could be a profound part of a eulogy.

Dang. Always a tough time when a patroller/avalanche forecaster goes down. Never met you Mario, but as a fellow skier we all share a common sense.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

x2
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Thanks for sharing. Ugh, that sucks.

Nice.

Thank for sharing - what a memory!

vibes
    watch out for snakes

Oh man.. well said. Sounds like a damn fine man taken too early. Thanks for posting
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"