Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shark attack

Holy shit, I thought I was the only person here who even knew about the Surf Punks.

Shark attack

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Holy shit, I thought I was the only person here who even knew about the Surf Punks.
    Lol, been a fan since 1984. Several years ago I was in a small beach bar in Belize; there was a guy playing cheesy Casio keyboard music for atmosphere. He ended his set with Shark Attack. I was amazed; what an obscure tune. So I approached him as he took down his gear. Turns out he used to live with the Surf Punk guys back in the day; had some amazing stories. I ended up having a few too many rum punches with him laughing our asses off.

Lulz. Good Times. Dude next door from me freshman dorm in kollege was a SoCal surfer, I was from NorCal, and we had a bit of the rivalry as such. He (allegedly) was friends with Dennis Dragon and when I first heard Locals Only I laffed so hard, 'cuz it was so true. Especially the part about aggro dudes from Diego throwing rocks.

Watersports and No Fat Chicks were staples on mixtapes in my college house. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    No way man, Locals Only was on repeat on many a road trip to VT back in the day. Murphy's Law too.

Classic. I’ve got their whole discography in my MP3 library. Pm if you want a link.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Trip/attack report live from the scene with unsolicited neurotic advice as an added bonus:

"a kayaker came out to rescue her but she was dead by the time they reached shore. It happened a couple of hundred yards from our condo. The lady was swimming out to a buoy and back. They say it may have been a great white shark because it tossed the lady forcibly in the air.
    I will never, never, never go swimming in an ocean again. You and your family shouldn't either.
    They think the sharks are heading further north possibly because of global warming."
    Yeesh.

She got air jaws’d.

Horrifying

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cool thanks, but I have it on vinyl, which is all I need.

Edit to add:

Hadn't thought about their album for years, and forgot about how awesome it is. Really underappreciated, with all the sly inside jokes and referential musicanship. Excellent chops, too.

Had a cousin from the valley, who did the Kanan-Dume run regularly. Attests to the SPs.

Last edited by Tri-Ungulate; 07-29-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    “You take a look at that map and tell me how Arizona isn’t on the ocean”

- Dunph, Outside Providence.
    Ha! That movie was hysterical. I need to see it again.

I was screwing around on my sup last night...basically I use it to get wet because it kinda boring as shit to paddle...anyway hanging off it in 10-12' of water I have to admit this fn shark crossed my mind.

^You're only in danger when you hear the "dun-dun.....dun-dun...dun-dun" cello music.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Shark Attack: Reminded me a bit of The B52's
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I was a kid living on Cape Cod and swimming in the ocean every day all summer when Jaws came out. That shit changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    researches for Arizona State University, said it’s possible the shark mistook the person for food.

Ya think?????

Good Gravey...shouldn’t let the dumb fucks talk.

Thats the thing, if sharks thought people were food they wouldn't hit and split....they'd stay and eat....they don't.

Anyone know of an analysis of amount of worldwide bathers compared to shark attacks? My guess is the numbers are super super low in that respect.

Its fear....the media lives on it. I've seen 100's of images taken in places like Pensacola florida. 30 sharks in the water visible from drone/copter, with bathers not 200ft away...nobody gets attacked usually.

Its like walking through bear country and being surprised if you get attacked by a bear....they live in the fucking ocean man...they are always there.

Back when Wooley was a kid they had the Megalodon. That thing would eat people in one gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thats the thing, if sharks thought people were food they wouldn't hit and split....they'd stay and eat....they don't.

Anyone know of an analysis of amount of worldwide bathers compared to shark attacks? My guess is the numbers are super super low in that respect.

Its fear....the media lives on it. I've seen 100's of images taken in places like Pensacola florida. 30 sharks in the water visible from drone/copter, with bathers not 200ft away...nobody gets attacked usually.

Its like walking through bear country and being surprised if you get attacked by a bear....they live in the fucking ocean man...they are always there.
    What? Yeah, it's always mistaken identity. That is a well known fact. Surfers and swimmers can look like a seal. People standing in the water not so much.

Saying the media lives on fear by reporting the first deadly shark attack in Maine? Should they have just ignored it?

I'm sure I'll burn in hell for this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200729_081405941.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	335680

I’ve seen big sharks diving, but swimming on the surface is not a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    https://seethewild.org/great-white-shark-habitat/

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.
    Why do sharks hate South America and the Middle East?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Did they stop doing Shark Week? I didn’t see the usual hype for it this year.
    Next week is Baby Shark Week on Nick!

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The local weather guy said that water temps off Jersey just broke 80. That's ridiculous.
    Wow! I had no idea the water could get so warm that far north in the Atlantic. Puget Sound doesn't get warmer than around 55.

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Wow! I had no idea the water could get so warm that far north in the Atlantic. Puget Sound doesn't get warmer than around 55.
    Gulf stream gets us toasty in the summer. We haven't hit any records that I'm aware of, but we are at the typical high point now in the low 70's. If we had a wave it would be extra nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    What? Yeah, it's always mistaken identity. That is a well known fact. Surfers and swimmers can look like a seal. People standing in the water not so much.

Saying the media lives on fear by reporting the first deadly shark attack in Maine? Should they have just ignored it?
    Its not just Maine, of course they should report that, but for example, NY beaches have been closed a couple days this week due to a "Shark sighting". Like c'mon man...sharks are ALWAYS there. Humans are not food.

Again, its like a random bear attack.....do we stop going in the woods? People are weird.

I heard they don't attack lawyers...professional courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Gulf stream gets us toasty in the summer. We haven't hit any records that I'm aware of, but we are at the typical high point now in the low 70's. If we had a wave it would be extra nice.
    That makes sense. Hurricanes need warm water to grow and they can often rake the entire U.S. Atlantic Coast.