Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I do get the Stanimals from what appears to be coagulation from CO2, but I just make sure to empty the tire of air when I get home and reinflate with the floor pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’m gonna guess that rule is carried over from car tires. You can imagine the worry of a car plug shooting out the side and murdering someone walking on the sidewalk. Don’t imagine that being an issue for bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I don't think it has anything to do with the plugs shooting out. I'm pretty sure it's because cars have steel belts around the circumference of the tire that substantially stiffen the tire in the area of the tread, and will effectively prevent the hole from tearing and spreading in a catastrophic manner. Those belts don't exist on the sidewall, so the risk of a hole tearing and blowing out is significant, and if that happened at highway speeds, it has the potential to be severely non-optimal.

While there aren't any steel belts on bike tires, there is a whole lot more material in the tread compared to the sidewall, and sidewalls get a lot of lateral force. You can certainly try plugging a sidewall, but the odds of it lasting very long are pretty low. I think the risk of an injury inducing blow out are a lot lower than on a car, so I've definitely still plugged sidewalls to get home (with varying degrees of success). But I generally won't keep riding a tire with a plugged sidewall - it's just a recipe for a headache.

I love TGR help. Stans darts going in the bike kit for sure

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Do they work with orange seal

The Darts supposedly have a chemical reaction with the sealant, making it work better. But I don’t know if that reaction exists with any other sealants.

https://youtu.be/T_DeE05vY7g
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’m gonna guess that rule is carried over from car tires. You can imagine the worry of a car plug shooting out the side and murdering someone walking on the sidewalk. Don’t imagine that being an issue for bikes.

Exactly ^^ its more a safety issue at high speeds with a car tire if there is a hole in the sidewall it may have fucked the tire so the worry is failure at high speed

I don't think yer in danger of being killed by a flying plug, but yer not suposed to plug a sidewall on a car tire and i don't think yer really supposed to plug a mtn bike tire sidewall either

If you do plug a sidewall and it worked/ got you out thats great but if it doesnt work you are probably outside the operational parameters of the product

you could probably patch the tire from the inside when you got it home which I have done
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’m 2 for 2 plugging sidewall holes the last few months. Now I’m expecting that posting about this will result in that luck ending immediately.

Curious if anyone does a patch on the inside of the tire when thy can work on it at home ?

Definitely.
    In this case I learned a lesson, if I had done a proper patch the Dart wouldn’t have ripped out.
    Last edited by rideit; 08-20-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Curious if anyone does a patch on the inside of the tire when thy can work on it at home ?
    I used to if I limped home with a tube. I haven’t bothered with Dynaplugs.

I do. I've had plugs come out before and don't want to risk it. Time spent fixing stuff in the shop with a beer in hand is well worth it to avoid fucking with it on the trail IMO.

I've used patches and they worked well. I've also used aquaseal. I remember the aquaseal getting hard and turning an amber color but I don't remember having any issues with it. The latter seems more up your alley. :-)

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I typically leave the bacon in and just trim it, but on tricky holes (heh) I prefer the Panaracer glue-in plugs to a patch.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

i have patched the inside of tires with a normal patch kit, you just gotta do a really good prep of the tire casing

when i got a flat on my truck they used a patch/plug which seems like the best method

I don't think I would use AQS on a tire becuz it doesnt stretch

In the days of tubes i would have 6 on the go, often the bugs would be so bad folks would not wait long enough to let the glue dry ( its a contact thing ) so I swap the tube and get moving thro all the holy tubes in a box at home, when I got a bunch take the patch kit out of the on-bike tool kit and use it to patch all them tubes in my bug-free shop with a drink, then air them up a bit and leave them for a day to see if there are any leaks

don't forget to buy a new patch kit for the bike

First a Time Using A Stan’s Dart Tire Plug...

I’m doing one right now and I mixed up some fuzzy material I had out in the garage with some aqua seal, and I’ve got some weights on it to squish it.
    Let’s see how it works.
    In the old days I would use a car/truck tire patch and that worked well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I don’t see any reason to patch dynaplugs... even on road tubeless it’s a permanent fix.

Bacon strips or the dart... I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’m doing one right now and I mixed up some fuzzy material I had out in the garage with some aqua seal, and I’ve got some weights on it to squish it.
    Let’s see how it works.
    In the old days I would use a car/truck tire patch and that worked well.

So I definitely don’t recommend the Teravail ‘Light and Supple’ casing, but at least they hold plugs well. 4 plugs in two tires over like 200 miles. They will be more bacon than rubber in no time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3701.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	337914

" permanent repairs in the tread area for clean punctures up to the size of a 16D (penny) nail and driven at speeds up to 90mph for testing purposes. "

must be some kind of chemical bond thing happening with the dynaplug for a permanent repair

I notice they ^^ are saying " for the tread area " and nowhere on the site does it talk about anything but fixing punctures in the tread

SO as I see it where you might have to patch is if the plug ( whichever one ) does not stay in a sidewall cuz nowhere can I read that you should be plugging a sidewall ?

http://www.dynaplug.com/faq.html

^^
    7. Can I repair a side wall cut or puncture?
    There are no companies that recommend repairs of any kind to the side wall of any tire for a road going vehicle. Even with brand new tires with a side wall puncture, all manufacturers state that the tire must be replaced. However, for tubeless bicycle tires, plug away!

It looks to me like if plugging a side wall on a bike tire works/ holds ... great

I've watched some youtubes of pakistani truck repair they do some pretty wild shit while wearing zero safety gear, repairing truck tires with blown out sidewalls, repairing batteries, body work, all kinds of ghetto repair work that would never be done in N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I don't think Stans recommends using a CO2 cartridge to inflate, but I've done it dozens of times with no ill effect. I haven't looked up why no to do it.
    According to this rave review, it's 'cause it can freeze the sealant: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...n-strips-video

Seems like it would thaw in a minute or so, but that's what they're saying.

Thanks to TGR, I'll be carrying these and Gorilla Tape (until now, I've only carried a tube).

Do you all leave a bacon strip pre-loaded in the plug tool? Seems wise, but does it dry out or anything once out of the plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Do you all leave a bacon strip pre-loaded in the plug tool? Seems wise, but does it dry out or anything once out of the plastic?
    Why bother? It takes about 10 seconds to load one in when you need it, then you don't have to worry about it drying out.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Why bother? It takes about 10 seconds to load one in when you need it, then you don't have to worry about it drying out.
    Just curious.

Yes, there is a whole thread on it.
    You suggested Aquaseal in every 3rd post.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    I do, two of them, one in my pocket and one in the OneUp. It's worth it because you can plug the hole(s) before the all the air leaks out. It's easier to install the plug with some support, and with CO2 on hand you can be plugged and ready so that when your buddy catches up, you can be chilling on your bike like nothing happened.

I'm sure the strips can eventually dry out, but I've never seen it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.