Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Time Using A Stan’s Dart Tire Plug...

And it was amazingly flawless and easy. pulled it out, plugged it, pumped it. Heh.
    that was it. It didn’t hurt that it was a perfectly round small puncture. But I am impressed.
    that is all.
    Just wanted to share a positive cycling experience.
    Last edited by rideit; 08-17-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I bought one, and stuck it in my saddle bag, so... cool that it works.
    Last edited by plugboots; 08-17-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Victory for man! Im packin but ive yet yo.use mine

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Not stans brand but I've used bacon strips a few times with good results. Recently it saved a brand new tire after taking a nail through the tread. Seems to be leaking air slowly but that could be side wall leakage as well. The previous tire had a plug for a solid year.

Pre-trim shot

None of these really work on sidewall holes, correct?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I carry gorilla tape for those.

You should try a dynaplug. Co2 inflator is built into the plug tool. Jam the plug in, crack the co2 open, inflate the tire, remove. If you're quick about it, you can plug a hole and be back on your way in about 45 seconds.

Overkill for most situations, but great if you're racing.

What times we live in now, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    None of these really work on sidewall holes, correct?
    I’ve had success with Dynaplugs and sidewall punctures.

Dynaplugs are annoyingly expensive... but it’s a small us made company and they work great. They seem better in a handful of ways than most other setups. I’ve even had good success using them with road tubeless.

Big fan of the Racer setup.... slowly adding one for each of my bikes. They have saved a handful of rides to the point that I have not used my spare tubes in years.

And it was amazingly flawless and easy. pulled it out, plugged it, pumped it. Heh.
    that was it. It didn’t hurt that it was a perfectly round small puncture. But I am impressed. !
    that is all.
    Just wanted to share a positive cycling experience.
    thanks, that’s a rarity these days to someone share something positive
    Last edited by jane477; 08-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.

That Dart system looks pretty interesting, however $20 for five refills vs $9 for twenty refills for standard plugs
    Last edited by Roxtar; 07-29-2020 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I used to plug car tires in like the 70"s this is not new its just a little different on a bike tire,

if plugging a sidewall works good on ya but if it doesnt work it means you are outside of the product parameters
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I stabbed a Sahmurai Sword plug into a pinch flat sidewall on an Italian bike park day. Saved the day. Kept riding that thing until it was properly ready to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I carry gorilla tape for those.
    Gorilla tape is proof to mtbers and cyclists that god exists, or at least the dogma of science is worth having faith in!
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

So, follow up. Plug lasted untouched until the Big Sky DH runs (which are rocky as fuck and steep) ripped it out. The plug has a lot of extra material, I would cut the excess off right away if you have scissors or something.
    So, the lesson is: use the plug until you can get home and properly fix the tire from the inside out.
    Using it the second time was just as easy as the first.
    Still impressed.

I've always cut the extra material off right away. The only issue I've had with these is a slow leak in the tire. Not a huge deal as long as I check pressure before I ride.

I used an automotive sized plug (slime brand) on a truck tire last week that got a screw through the tread. Worked just as well there.

Did this on Saturday, plugged midride and held the rest of the day. Didn’t lose pressure overnight and rode it all morning on trails Sunday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB9928C0-439E-4D18-9015-A7642BAC8B33.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	337399

+1 on the Stans plug experience over here. Bought one on a whim, used it immediately on a buddy's bike that double flatted, saved our day. Then I didn't buy any replacement plugs 'cause I'm cheap, and struggled on with bacon strips for a few months. Then had a really bad Lithium day (5 bacon strips in one lap) and bought more Stans darts.

I've used a lot of bacon strips (like 20 in the last two years?) and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what they can and can't do. I've definitely saved some sidewall/bead punctures with bacon, but I've also had a bunch of problems with them pulling out right after, being hard to install properly, and pulling out with the tool. In my experience the Stans tool is just a little more foolproof, and less likely to have issues later in the same ride. So I'll keep ponying up for more of these expensive ass refiles.

I keep almost trying that Dynaplug but I don't really race, don't love CO2 and always have a nice pump with me, so I haven't justified it yet.

if you plug a side wall and it works, good on ya

but its my understanding you are not suposed to plug a sidewall
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You should try a dynaplug. Co2 inflator is built into the plug tool. Jam the plug in, crack the co2 open, inflate the tire, remove. If you're quick about it, you can plug a hole and be back on your way in about 45 seconds.

Overkill for most situations, but great if you're racing.
    Toast, you ever try one of those? Rumormill on the interwebz is that CO2 causes Stan's to solidify. You can mitigate somewhat by rotating the plug toward the top before inflating to reduce the temp gradient between the cold CO2 and the sealant (which apparently is what causes the majority of the issue). I'm curious about real-world experience, though. Is this really an issue or not so much?

When depressurized, my mountain bike tires staying seated on my rim so I'm not too concerned about reinflating those with a regular pump after patching. My gravel tires, however, do not.

If I were to lose pressure on a gravel ride, I'm pretty certain I couldn't reseat those with a pump. I haven't tried CO2 yet, but think there's a decent chance I could get the volume needed. Maybe this is a situation where carrying a couple of tubes is a better idea than carrying CO2 that may or may not actually work. . .

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Toast, you ever try one of those? Rumormill on the interwebz is that CO2 causes Stan's to solidify. You can mitigate somewhat by rotating the plug toward the top before inflating to reduce the temp gradient between the cold CO2 and the sealant (which apparently is what causes the majority of the issue). I'm curious about real-world experience, though. Is this really an issue or not so much?

When depressurized, my mountain bike tires staying seated on my rim so I'm not too concerned about reinflating those with a regular pump after patching. My gravel tires, however, do not.

If I were to lose pressure on a gravel ride, I'm pretty certain I couldn't reseat those with a pump. I haven't tried CO2 yet, but think there's a decent chance I could get the volume needed. Maybe this is a situation where carrying a couple of tubes is a better idea than carrying CO2 that may or may not actually work. . .
    Yeah, I've used dynaplugs a bunch. I've had good luck. I don't see why the co2 in the dynaplug would be any different than using co2 through the valve. I don't use stan's, but if it solidifies from that, seems like it's time for a different sealant.

Only issue with dynaplugs is that if everything fails and you have to put a tube in, you have to pull the plugs out or the metal tips will pop the tube.

I don't think Stans recommends using a CO2 cartridge to inflate, but I've done it dozens of times with no ill effect. I haven't looked up why no to do it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I used stans darts for double sidewall puncture/gash. it held immediately and I rode on it for 2 more weeks after with no problem
    "Last one to the bottom is a Coward"

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if you plug a side wall and it works, good on ya

but its my understanding you are not suposed to plug a sidewall
    I’m gonna guess that rule is carried over from car tires. You can imagine the worry of a car plug shooting out the side and murdering someone walking on the sidewalk. Don’t imagine that being an issue for bikes.

However many are in a shit ton.