Garmin services go down

Hope you weren’t relying on your InReach for commo. Anyone know how this affects messaging?

https://www.engadget.com/garmin-outa...120555092.html

My mapshare page is currently working and I'm seeing some friend's inreaches updating with new tracking points (within the last 10 minutes).

So, I'm thinking inreaches could be unaffected? I'm gonna use mine tomorrow, so I'll know first hand.

Just tested my mini messaging and it works fine. Was able to send pre-set with coordinates and custom. Messages were received.

Tested my mini as well, and no issues with sms services. Nothing received, or at least shared, by the GEOS and our provincial ECC office, that would indicate an issue with the iridium com network.

Garmin is fucked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/co...insiders_here/

Sounds like ransomware on computers/servers. On-site backups are also encrypted by ransomware. They're having to dig through off-site backups to try and restore.

https://connect.garmin.com/status/
    All services down.

Their stock will tank on Monday. C-suite blame game has already started.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    On-site backups are also encrypted by ransomware.
    Gotta admit - I'm curious how *this*, in particular, happened...

This seems like a clear wake up call to businesses that ransomware has not gone away. A huuuge threat to all medium/large businesses.

Businesses have to increase their IT budgets. ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Servers/clients get ransomware. Nightly backup schedule backs up said ransomware. Now you are fucked. Depending on scheduling their off site could be fucked too.

18billion $ company. They'll pay the 10mill. They need to get the FAA shit straight. Flight plans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Checked this morning, and still down. going on 4 days....really, is this company for real.

Also would like to add that a lot of these hacks have already infiltrated the network, sometimes weeks earlier, and they typically target backup systems first, before payload is delivered. Otherwise as long as you had good backups you'd be fine and everyone would say fuck off to ransom.

There is a reason this works for criminals.

An attacker that got a foothold in the core and took their time and moved laterally until "all your base are belong to us."
    Probably took months of waiting till they owned all the backup history, etc.

I think with forward thinking decent sysadmins would/should avoid those kinds of pitfalls, but it's easy to get lazy and unmotivated. "We'll do that next cycle/month/refresh" and then never get to it till it's too late.

But damn, it's game over, for sure. Some sysadmin's are working some really long hours and probably going to lose their jobs in the end. I'm glad it's not my job.
    <As an aside - I admire the "we don't deal with terrorists" approach in not paying the ransom. It would sure be easy to just pay up to make the pain stop, even if it is 10Mil.>

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    An attacker that got a foothold in the core and took their time and moved laterally until "all your base are belong to us."
    Probably took months of waiting till they owned all the backup history, etc.

I think with forward thinking decent sysadmins would/should avoid those kinds of pitfalls, but it's easy to get lazy and unmotivated. "We'll do that next cycle/month/refresh" and then never get to it till it's too late.

But damn, it's game over, for sure. Some sysadmin's are working some really long hours and probably going to lose their jobs in the end. I'm glad it's not my job.
    <As an aside - I admire the "we don't deal with terrorists" approach in not paying the ransom. It would sure be easy to just pay up to make the pain stop, even if it is 10Mil.>
    Again $18 billion dollar company. My guess is over the last 5 days they lost damned close to that $10mil already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Garmin services go down

Quote Originally Posted by aslogar View Post
    Checked this morning, and still down. going on 4 days....really, is this company for real.
    They were up and going Monday morning. All my previous activities and data synced once I opened the Garmin Connect web page Monday morning. The app still says "down for Maintenance" but my morning ride connected to the app and synced to both Garmin Connect and Strava as per normal.
    Apparently the app is the last thing they are working the bugs out of.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 07-28-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Pretty sure something in the foreign corrupt prentices act precludes them from simply "paying the ransom".
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Up now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Pretty sure something in the foreign corrupt prentices act precludes them from simply "paying the ransom".
    pretty sure no.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/4/21...cker-evil-corp

What Garmin devices/services weren't working My InReach never experienced any interruptions in it's ability to communicate during this, and I made a point of testing it once or twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    What Garmin devices/services weren't working My InReach never experienced any interruptions in it's ability to communicate during this, and I made a point of testing it once or twice a day.
    Watches and bike computers. And Airplane GPS modules....

So just minor stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So just minor stuff.
    totally. I mean when you're flying you're way up there...you can see it all. How hard could it be...?