What would a modern 26” bike look like?

Yeh I know, why would you, but just as an intellectual exercise. Is the whole steep seat tube, slack head angles and long reach, short stays a big wheeled thing, or would it work on a 26. What about twelve speeds, just looking at how low the derailleur hangs down on a 29 I doubt the ground clearance would be sufficient, but then you probably don’t need a dinner plate in the back anyways as you don’t have to have a 50 tooth gear to make up for the bigger wheels. One thing you would have is way lighter wheels and tires, I mean you see the weight on some of today’s 29 tires and they look to be the same as a rim on a 26 weighed.

I know 26 is now the new kid sized wheel, are they using modern geometry on those bikes? Anyone with a kid on one of these try riding it?

I still have a set of 26" wheels I throw on my trailbike for some particularly abusive descents.

You're over thinking it. Find any 27.5 frame with a high-ish BB or a two travel setting and just put 26" wheels on it. It ain't rocket surgery. You'll drop about 0.7". Other than getting stiffer wheels out of it, I'm not sure why you'd want to at your height. Not sure on the 12sp stuff. I use 11sp.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yep. I've put 26" wheels on modern 27.5 bikes before too. Makes the BB lower. That's kinda it.You also don't need a bigger cassette for bigger wheels. Cassette defines how wide the range of gears you have is. Changing wheel size on the same drivetrain does change your effective gearing, but the analogous drivetrain change to counteract that is a different size chainring.

I have a buddy who swears by 26+ wheels/tires on his modern 27.5 frames.

I did for years on multiple frames. It was easier when no one thought bottom bracket heights should be around 13" because 26" wheels put most 27.5 frames at about that. Now lots (most?) frame makers are producing good geometry with lower BBs so switching actually does make them too low. That's why I said it just takes the right frame. I don't think it benefits all of them, some it makes worse beyond the differences in the wheels.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I know 26 is now the new kid sized wheel, are they using modern geometry on those bikes? Anyone with a kid on one of these try riding it?
    A lot of companies aren't even bothering with a 26" in their kids lineups, just a 24" model and then a Junior/XS with 27.5s. See:

https://www.commencalusa.com/clash-jr-c2x30728299
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/you...uth/sight-275/

Honestly, it not unreasonable when you consider that they've made 4" jumps in wheel size their whole lives (12"/16"/20"/24"). I know a few kids who went straight from 24->27.5. They're kids, no fucks were given, adapted immediately. I know a few others who bought similar bikes (mostly pre-SBG carbon Patrols since you could find smalls stupid cheap on closeout for a while) and put 26" wheels and short cranks on them, and most of them didn't use the 26" wheels much.

Where the fuck is Damian Sanders?

See SS, Intense.

What would a modern 26” bike look like?

I bought my 11 year old a Nukeproof Cub Scout 26” earlier this year - modern geo, slack HTA, steep STA, and 2.5 tires on 30mm rims. It’s pretty damn fun to rip around on. Dude loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not looking to do a 26, just wondering, sounds like they would have benefited same as the bigger wheels have.

I still ride my Knolly Chilcotun. 26” frame with 6” of travel that will rival many newer bikes on gnarly downhills.
    It’s got 12s Eagle that shifts better than the 11s it replaced.
    Don’t over think bikes. They’re bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I was riding all over shit on the sides of the trail today that I wouldn't have on a 26

yeah the wheels are bigger so the bike is faster but I think there is other stuff going on with design

its a different bike

IMO if you never ride a 29

you won't need one

edit : modern 26" mtnbike is an oxymoron
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-26-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know