Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Preferred Clipless MTB/Gravel pedals/shoes?

What do you y'all ride on gravel or MTB?

GiroTerradura HV.
    But that’s irrelevant, as the best shoe for you is the one that fits you Properly.

Are you a bot?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The shoe that fits is the best.

I got a good deal on a Giro Ventana that I'm liking quite a lot though. Had to put green superfeet to make the fit better, but I'm like 200 miles in and don't have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    GiroTerradura HV.
    I guess these fit me because they're the best shoe I've owned in a long time. Really happy with them.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

any clipless specialized shoe fits me very well, the fit is that they are wide in the toe & narrow in the heel

but with a fucked knee I didnt want to be attached to the enduro type bike so I resurrected a pair of 661 axo duallys
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anybody running the Shimano PD-ES600 or A600 pedals for gravel? Lighter (and cheaper) than XTR and SPD so I can use my mtb shoes (single sided, though). Not having ridden much gravel yet, I'm leaning toward picking a set of these up as I will need to buy a pair of pedals for that bike anyway.

I spent a season on SPD-SL cleats on my gravel bike. 99% of the time it was fine. But every once in a while I'd be slipping in mud, fiddle fucking with my pedal to get it pointed in the right direction. When it came time to get new shoes I went with the Shimano RX8 so I could just run XT pedals. So much better. I wouldn't go back to a single sided pedal. YMMV.

Anything but Crank (Broken) Bros. for pedals. I have had nothing but excellent service and luck with TIMEs.

Open to criticism here, but I use eggbeaters on my gravel bike and alternate between two sets of shoes. I use specialized with a walkable sole for singletrack and cross races where i have to get off the bike. In contrast I use hard soled road shoes for true gravel rides where I won't have to unclip. I had both sets of shoes already or else I would have gone with one pair for both duties.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Anybody running the Shimano PD-ES600 or A600 pedals for gravel? Lighter (and cheaper) than XTR and SPD so I can use my mtb shoes (single sided, though). Not having ridden much gravel yet, I'm leaning toward picking a set of these up as I will need to buy a pair of pedals for that bike anyway.
    I have the cheaper version of the A600 with the less fancy spindle. I really like it since it is light, can use my xc mountain bike shoes, has a bit of platform, and easy to clip in. I would recommend it. Not sure about the es600.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I have the cheaper version of the A600 with the less fancy spindle. I really like it since it is light, can use my xc mountain bike shoes, has a bit of platform, and easy to clip in. I would recommend it. Not sure about the es600.
    What is the cheaper version of the a600? Or did you mean the cheaper version IS the a600? Either look pretty good to me and I have the same use case - I have a set of road pedals/shoes but I can't see them getting very much use on this bike. My mtb shoes are pretty xc oriented and stiff and would make a good gravel shoe also, I think.

So i don't need > one pair of clipless shoes I just use SPD's on my road bike/ yeti/ touring bike and they seem to last forever so I'm a huge SPD fanboi

but where they really didnt work was in snow right around zero they just became lumps of ice on the end of a crank arm while the guy with egg beaters was fine

if I ever rode those conditions again it would be on flats
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    What is the cheaper version of the a600? Or did you mean the cheaper version IS the a600? Either look pretty good to me and I have the same use case - I have a set of road pedals/shoes but I can't see them getting very much use on this bike. My mtb shoes are pretty xc oriented and stiff and would make a good gravel shoe also, I think.
    I meant the pedal I have is cheaper than the a600. I think it is the a520: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/PD-A520.html only difference seems to be the spindle and a bit heavier than the a600. I think it might be discontinued though. Not sure why since it seems like a pretty ideal gravel pedal IMO.

Makes sense, thanks! I'll keep my eyes out for a pair of those.

FWIW - I’m going to slap some flats on this week and go for a 20-25 mile ride in my Tevas. this is mostly going to be on gravel roads, not MTB trails. I just want to see what the hype about riding in sandals is all about (I’m not ready to go full hipster with bedrocks though) and maybe consider it for my next bikepacking trip in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    FWIW - I’m going to slap some flats on this week and go for a 20-25 mile ride in my Tevas. this is mostly going to be on gravel roads, not MTB trails. I just want to see what the hype about riding in sandals is all about (I’m not ready to go full hipster with bedrocks though) and maybe consider it for my next bikepacking trip in 2 weeks.
    Get the SPD sandals, they have a 25th anniversary edition!

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Get the SPD sandals, they have a 25th anniversary edition!

Five Ten Kestrel Lace. Stiff like a normal clipless shoe, but walks 100x better, just like a flat-pedal shoe (ok, it's a little stiffer, but still) - so, so much better than all the "race" style shoes I've had in the past. And the velcro strap really locks your foot in (and allows you to tighten 'em w/o getting off the bike). Best mtb shoe I've ever had, by a longshot (but yes, they mist fit).

Really having a hard time resisting going to flats lately though.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Five Ten Kestrel Lace. Stiff like a normal clipless shoe, but walks 100x better, just like a flat-pedal shoe (ok, it's a little stiffer, but still) - so, so much better than all the "race" style shoes I've had in the past. And the velcro strap really locks your foot in (and allows you to tighten 'em w/o getting off the bike). Best mtb shoe I've ever had, by a longshot (but yes, they mist fit).

Really having a hard time resisting going to flats lately though.
    Have you tried the Kestrel BOA, especially the previous generation? I have been on those for quite awhile, and will probably need to replace them soon. Mine were terrible for walking and difficult to get into until I replaced the BOA cable, now they're awesome. Wondering if the eventual replacement should be with the lace version or not.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Have you tried the Kestrel BOA, especially the previous generation? I have been on those for quite awhile, and will probably need to replace them soon. Mine were terrible for walking and difficult to get into until I replaced the BOA cable, now they're awesome. Wondering if the eventual replacement should be with the lace version or not.
    Lace, all day. Try 'em, at least. FWIW: mine felt a little too narrow at first, but they did stretch just enough - like slippers now. Easy to get into, and walk great (at least compared to my previous Northwaves, with tippity-ass and way-too-stiff soles)

Big fan of Lake shoes, but they only seem to make wide and wider--or maybe now they've added extra wide. Most durable shoes I've ever had and awesome walking grip, though slightly heavier for it (MX161s, FWIW, but a couple years old now).

My wife has super narrow feet and needs more comfortable/better walking grip than the laced Giros she's using now--is there a Lake of narrow shoes?

Well, 20 miles on flats in Tevas didn’t excite me. the play in the sandals was the problem. I don’t want to have to reef down on my skin to get them tight enough so my foot doesn’t slip. I also learned while I probably don’t pull up much when just riding along, I certainly unweight the rising/rear foot. I came off my pedal several times. I also, most certainly, pull up when out of the saddle on a hill, which doesn’t work on flats.

There just aren’t enough pros to the flats/sandal combo to overcome the cons.

^^^ Ding! Sandals w/ a beach cruiser, maybe.

I’m on probably my 10th pair of mtb shoes and it isn’t a boa versus laces or etc., it’s the fit of the actual shoe.
    For me I hate the fit of the shoe changing, (other than maybe a slight loosening 2 miles in), even then, one click with the boa and it’s set.
    That, and Velcro basically sucks if it gets wet.

BTW, anybody try Bont? Pricey, but not bad in that category.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have the Shimano A520 pedals on my touring bike and travel road bike. They're fine. Feel just like a M530 when clipped in, probably because they're basically a one sided version of that pedal.

Not as good power transfer as a Look type road pedal with a stiff road shoe, but for touring / commuting, they're fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^ Ding!
    I’m on probably May 10 a pair of and Bike shoes and it isn’t a bola versus laces or etc. it’s the fit of the actual shoe for me I like boys because they don’t change

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Smoke crack first, then post, right?

And after all, who doesn't like ebola and boys who don't change?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.