summer hiking: tshirt-backpack-hat

so what are you recommendation for hot summer hiking gear?
    have you found a right combination of backpack and tshirt that minimize sweating?
    what tshirt do you use? would you recommend simple running tshirt? or do you go wool?
    hat: sure, they protect my always-more-exposed-head from direct sun, but i obviously feel i sweat way more with a hat/trucker than without. Any recommendation here?

thanks in advance

No T-shirt, OR Echo hoodie or equivalent. Visor instead of hat, BD or Headsweats.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

not too much you can do to reduce sweat where the backpack sits against your back. even the best wicking shirt kinda fails when there’s a pack sitting against the surface where the wicked moisture is meant to escape. might be some newer packs designed to have some mesh against your back and the rest somehow slightly suspended off your back.

if your pack is light enough, an old trick is to occasionally alternate wearing it on only one shoulder at a time, pulls bulk of pack off your back and allows for more air against your back and maybe some direct sun if you play the angles right. Ray Jardine wrote about this back before the PCT thru hike scene became a moving herd of sheep.

on shorter hikes I’ve moved back towards a techy fanny pack - UD or some trail running companies, water and food pockets and a little carrying capacity, just to address this kind of comfort. conversely, some of the newer trail running vests can position the contact patch higher, more above that major sweat zone.

I’m a Merino wool t-shirt evangelist - Smartwool or Icebreaker. The combo of moisture management, comfort when stopped, and lack o’ stink works best for me. Also, I’m in the southwest and there’s a chance of rain this time of summer, wool handles it

Hat: either a gimme ball cap or a straw Panama type<- try one of those. Nothing tricky there.

For packs the "trampoline" style suspension like on the Osprey Exos and some other packs are pretty nice. Like, you'll still get sweaty but when there's a breeze you can actually feel it. I just did a bunch of backpacking trips in Arizona and using that pack after carrying a frameless was night and day as far as back breathability.

There are probably better shirt and hat options, but I have been wearing OR echo shirts and an OR swift hat, which is nice because it is light but soaks up a little water if you dunk it in a stream. Also definitely a fan of carrying a buff or similar to wet whenever you have the chance and let the water drip down your neck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Regarding hats - I like a full brim hat with a mesh upper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Pretty much all my summer hiking is done in a sun hoody. If there's stream around I'll dunk the hoody in the water which keeps me slightly cooler for maybe an hour.

bring a buff or bandana. dunk in steam and put it around your neck.

Not sure dunking in steam is going to help keep him cool :-)

I was given a Platypus hydration pack - and the way they designed the mesh/foam part on your back is brilliant. Super comfortable and light as well. I haven't seen any other pack like it and it works amazing for keeping your back cool and the the water inside from heating up. take a look, though the 12L largest size might be too small for you depending on your hike
    https://www.platy.com/hydration-pack.../tokul-xc.html

I am a big headsets hat fan. They are much cooler than a traditional ball cap.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I was given a Platypus hydration pack - and the way they designed the mesh/foam part on your back is brilliant. Super comfortable and light as well. I haven't seen any other pack like it and it works amazing for keeping your back cool and the the water inside from heating up. take a look, though the 12L largest size might be too small for you depending on your hike
    https://www.platy.com/hydration-pack.../tokul-xc.html
    I love mine for MTB and spring tour.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Fanny pack for short hikes for me too, same reason.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I can't bring myself to do it, but PCT thru hikes swear by umbrellas attached to their pack. Great in tain as well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Touareg

Moroccan turban.

Best thing for hot sun for pasty white folks
    . . .

Tilley hats are on a super sale on STP. I am in the pasty gangster camp and try to cover up as much as possible. RailRiders makes some nice shirts with side venting, plus they have some shorts and pants with venting.

A other vote for the OR Echo hoody or shirt. Extremely lightweight and fast drying. The only disadvantage is that they're see through. I own 4 Echo tops in 4 different colors, and even when they are dry, they're pretty transparent, a condition that is worsened when they're wet. They're exclusively hiking/bc skiing tops for me, they definitely can't cross over for casual use because of their transparent nature.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    A other vote for the OR Echo hoody or shirt. Extremely lightweight and fast drying. The only disadvantage is that they're see through. I own 4 Echo tops in 4 different colors, and even when they are dry, they're pretty transparent, a condition that is worsened when they're wet. They're exclusively hiking/bc skiing tops for me, they definitely can't cross over for casual use because of their transparent nature.
    Shows off your man boobs?

I do not go with a hat many times unless looking for rain protection, then a wide full brim with mesh sides. In hotter weather I do a do rag to keep the sun off the top of the head and the sweat from running into the eyes.

For shirts mostly the drifit types of synthetic, though some of them end up stinking much more than wool ever does.

I picked up a couple of the Pataguchi Tropic Comfort hoodies on steep winter discount. Hood up goes over a baseball cap, down and buttoned as a neck gator. I live in them on summer trips. Full retail is ridiculous of course. I have a Dueter Trail Act pack that has two vertical supports and gets some air going back there, but still is hot.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

bump

Update since I’ve been doing a lot of day hikes lately. I’m dressing full Euro, or like the Mediocre Amateur guys. Light hiking shoes, compression socks, stretchy Adidas minimal shorts, (mag recommends, BTW, https://www.adidas.com/us/terrex-lit...ceid=543457011), Mammut poly shirt w/ chest pocket for phone, Osprey Stratus 24 pack, Tilly hat, hiking poles.
    Last edited by plugboots; 08-11-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I used to swear by the OR Echo until I picked up a Rab Pulse shirt. Same material with a more refined cut, longer in the body and sleeves and more flattering for me (very skinny)