Drive Train Help, Durango mags loaner parts to diagnose.

I am having a really hard time tuning a drivetrain. I am no pro but have built many bikes and installed several drivetrains without ever having serious issue tuning a drivetrain.

Frame Ibis Mojo HD3

The drivetrain was transferred from a yeti sb5 and was running like a top prior to transfer. Ever since transfer drive train has not quite ran the same and has deteriorated.

So far I have replaced the the cable and housing, installed new chainring about 100 miles ago, new chain about 50 miles ago, new cassette. Originally used internal interrupted housing but found a few people with shifting issues with Ibis interrupted housing so drilled out the inserts and ran full length housing. New derailleur hanger and checked straightness, also pulled off the derailleur knuckle to make sure it was straight.

Drivetrain is 11 speed XTR Shifter and Derailleur 8000 series.
    Crank XX1
    Chainring sram steel ring 28T
    New Cassette XT 11-46
    Chain Sram X1

The drivetrain was tolerable but would occasionally get a click or slow shift when initially transferred. I figured it was chain wear and replacing it would take care of it but it didnt. Next moved on to the cassette.

While replacing the cassette the wind blew the bike and stand over onto the drivetrain side. After the fall I cant get it even close to tuned. If it shifts well up it is slow down and vice versa. I might be able to get high end working ok but the low end then sucks and vice versa.

I am leaning towards the derailleur is not functioning properly. It doesnt look bent to the eye but have run out of things to keep trying.

Any Ideas.

Anyone in Durango have an 11 speed shifter or derailleur preferably shimano I could borrow to check if these might be the problems before buying new.

Thanks for any help.

Have you always been running a SRAM chain w/ Shimano cassette? They don't play nice sometimes in the 11 and 12 speed realm. I have been down that road before a couple of times with customer bikes - even with brand new components.

You are right it could definitely be a slightly bent derailleur.

What rear hub? Did the bike fall over with the wheel in it, or was it getting the cassette replaced at the time?

I have an 11 speed Shimano derailleur you can have, but it isn't in Durango. Very helpful, I know...

Almost sounds like your cable isn't routed correctly at the derailleur, like maybe on the wrong side of the bolt.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I had a sram cassette which was the reason for the sram chain. I replaced the cassette to shimano to get a bit lower range. I do have a new shimano chain that I have not tried yet. I did put the old cassette back on with the same results as the new cassette. The wheels are We are One Agents with I9 Hydra Hubs.

I will double check the cable routing on the derailleur.

Thanks for the offer Donet. I went ahead and picked up a new derailleur and that fixed the problem. Thanks

Did you check the hanger alignment after the wind incident? I usually just replace that as a first order of business when I have tricky drivetrain issues. It's cheap and IME it's usually the cause. Cable routing is another good suggestion. Are all the cable housings properly seated into their ferrules?

As an aside, the Durango Cyclery is now Mag owned, getting a second set of eyes on it might be nice.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

FYI, joetron just bought Durango Cyclery, go give him some bizness if you still need help.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

joetron! That’s awesome, congratulations.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Cool to know joetron no owns Durango Cyclery. Yep checked derailleur hanger. I actually replaced it and double checked and made sure it was straight. Ended up being the der. though. I replaced it and everything is running smoothe.

Nice. Derailleurs are pretty tough these days, bending one isn't common. I would have been pretty resistant to accepting that as the problem.

Yep! Is true. Come see me if you’ve got any other issues. If the store is open, I’m there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is there a possibility the derailleur was just worn out. The derailleur really didnt have that many miles on it so I would be surprised if that was the case. When the bike fell the der. Was actually detached from the frame and hanging from the cable and I was having some minor issues for a few weeks. I was pretty resistant to it as well but it pretty much came down to it was the last option other then the shifter.

I’ve had the little red plastic thing in the sram lever break. Shifts great in the stand but super weird on the trail. Sometimes great up the cassette sometimes great down. I replaced everything trying to figure it out and finally took the cover off the shifter, but a rubber band on the brake lever to simulate some pedaling pressure and saw it slightly spread apart.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’ve had the little red plastic thing in the sram lever break. Shifts great in the stand but super weird on the trail. Sometimes great up the cassette sometimes great down. I replaced everything trying to figure it out and finally took the cover off the shifter, but a rubber band on the brake lever to simulate some pedaling pressure and saw it slightly spread apart.

Wow, I would never think to look at that. Good detective work,good to know and keep in mind for the future.