Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Must-Do Rides in Durango Area?

Lots of good info turning up in this thread.
    Elbert and Goulding are steep climbs up from 550. Goulding is basically unrideable for the first mile or two from the road, Elbert is doable but still hurtful)Pinkerton basically runs along the ridgeline. Jones is the best way to climb up there, but there is a fair bit of hike a bike along Pinkerton.
    That whole mid country zone is now getting cows up in there…so it’s high country migration time.
    Molas to EMT is probably the best option.
    I tend to agree with Smmokan about Kennebec down. It’a good trail, but has a pretty ruthless climb in the middle. And then the trail from High Point down is accessible from the Dry Fork loop I mentioned earlier as an out/back addition.
    Honestly, trying to describe the ride options around here on this medium is completely overwhelming. Kinda infinite options, just depends on your transportation options and how big and adventurous you want to go. Molas/EMT is straight forward, easy to find and absolutely spectacular trail, experience and views.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Molas to Engineer without anything else is 20 miles with 2700' of climbing (about 4500' descending) according to Strava. You could make it a bit longer and keep going on the CT, then take a left onto White Creek and loop back to Engineer that way. I'm guessing it would add 4-5 miles and 1000' of climbing that way.

These options and season-specific recommendations are perfect! I only have time for a couple of rides, so this is great to have.

So weird seeing what people like and don't like. I thought Kennebec was one of the coolest things I've ever done. And yes, you can hit the lower part as part of a much shorter ride -- I've ridden up from Junction Creek and I've done the whole Dry Fork loop -- but that didn't make the overall ride experience lesser, if anything it made it cooler, hitting those sections coming all the way down. And the experience of being dropped off at 11,600', above tree line, and riding all the way to town at 6500', well, I thought it was super amazeballs.

But I'm a hack compared to these guys, so if you're a hack, maybe go with my advice, and if you're not a hack, listen to them
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Oh I see so Molas to Engineer is a good longer route rather than Pass Creek. Do you have any specifics recs by Purgatory? Elbert Cr to Dutch Cr shuttle? Goulding?
    As Joe said, it’s pretty endless here, but I’ll chime in.

-Elbert-Goulding is a sweet ride. Park at bottom of Goulding. Ride up 550 ~5 miles to Needles. Up Elbert. south on Pinkerton. DH Dutch. Excellent.

-molas-emt is good but, molas-rolling-then dh on Graysill Connect to Cascade is better. It’s not ready yet but will be soon.

-Blackhawk is also awesome and is currently clear. Park at upper hermosa. Grind to celebration lake, then south on the CT. Finish on stagecoach or corral. Bonertown.

-i rode in town (test tracks) this afternoon and it’s definitely a bit dusty but we have some much-needed rain in the forecast that I think is gonna re-buffify the in town dirt.

-soooo much more

^^ what TT said. Some of my favorite rides. Stuff on the Rico side is good to... calico - but pretty far for a day trip from Durango/Hermosa area.

Personally I'm not a fan of Hermosa creek trail. Goes from jeep trail to ATV trail to moto trail with some shitty climbs and stuck down in a canyon without good views. Same with Kennebec once you drop below tree line. Meh descending and the climb out kinda sucks. Last year ending the CT bikepack it was surprisingly overgrown til high point. It sucked since it had just rained so the brush was all wet.

I liked Jones-Pink-Dutch when I rode it years ago, remembered Dutch being a riot to descend. But rode it again last summer and it didn't seem much fun at all. Lots of rocky stream crossings and blown out. A Jones out and back would be an awesome quick ride though.

I rode Molas to Engineer Mtn yesterday as it was going to be the best weather of the week. Molas is stunning of course, and Engineer DH was a face melting endless shredfest with hero dirt that made this PNW mushroom smile. The first half of engineer and the latter part of CT approaching it contained some wet, soft, trenched out sections and creek crossings which demanded significant effort. My sea level body was sending alarm bells up to the command center.

Thanks for the recommendations! It’s an awesome spot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9759.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	419477

Name:	IMG_9757.JPG 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	419478

Name:	IMG_9761.JPG 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	419479

Using this thread for a slightly different ask.

Will be down that way next month with my 11 yo daughter, and looking for some easy mt bike trails. All I could think of was going up Horse Gulch (which she will not like) and then doing the Meadow Loop. But my memory is very dated and faulty, and I know there are many new trails.

Any ideas? She's an easy intermediate rider, isn't put off by a tech-y feature here or there, but doesn't like a lot of climbing.

My one idea will work (based on memory) but if it's a hot day, it might suck. Would dig having higher elevation options too. Maybe Hermosa Creek as an out and back from the top? Can't really recall what that is like, other than it's kinda ATV wide until a bridge.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Will be down that way next month with my 11 yo daughter, and looking for some easy mt bike trails. All I could think of was going up Horse Gulch (which she will not like) and then doing the Meadow Loop. But my memory is very dated and faulty, and I know there are many new trails.

Any ideas? She's an easy intermediate rider, isn't put off by a tech-y feature here or there, but doesn't like a lot of climbing.

My one idea will work (based on memory) but if it's a hot day, it might suck. Would dig having higher elevation options too. Maybe Hermosa Creek as an out and back from the top? Can't really recall what that is like, other than it's kinda ATV wide until a bridge.
    You could try Saul's Creek just east of Bayfield...lots of easy single track all connected by a bunch of oil/gas well service roads.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Your memory of Horse Gulch is correct, Meadow Loop would probably be great but that road climb to get their is pretty off putting for most kids. Overend Park (Aka Test Tracks) is a better bet for beating the heat right out of downtown Durango. Trails 2000 redid Star Wars this year and it's awesome. Just to the south of Durango is a new system of easier trail near Three Springs that would be worth checking out.

For outside of Durango maybe Phils World? Same issue with the heat like Horse Gulch but an early morning out there after some of the monsoons we've been having would be nice. I've heard good things about the trail system near Mancos too, but have never ridden it myself.

I'd skip Hermosa for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    For outside of Durango maybe Phils World? Same issue with the heat like Horse Gulch but an early morning out there after some of the monsoons we've been having would be nice. I've heard good things about the trail system near Mancos too, but have never ridden it myself.
    Phil's is for sure kid friendly if we get a cool day. Near Mancos, check out the Lost Chicken/Blue Jay area - nice trails in ponderosa forest, not a lot of climbing, not a lot of people. There's a new trail system called Aquaduct that I haven't ridden yet, looks good but will be similar climate to Phil's.

Even further afield, Boggy Draw or Sage Hen near Dolores could fit the bill.

Plus, Phil’s just makes people smile.

Phil's is the best desert XC evar!

If you're willing to drive to Phil's, Boggy Draw is not much further and is 1,000ft higher with pretty good tree cover. Fast flowy trails without a ton of climbing.

Depending which way you're driving from a stop in Ridgway at the RAT system might be a good option too.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    If you're willing to drive to Phil's, Boggy Draw is not much further and is 1,000ft higher with pretty good tree cover. Fast flowy trails without a ton of climbing.

Depending which way you're driving from a stop in Ridgway at the RAT system might be a good option too.
    I couldn't remember the name of that area since I only rode it last year once, but fully agree with this. This is a great spot if the weather makes Phil's unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Near Mancos, check out the Lost Chicken/Blue Jay area - nice trails in ponderosa forest, not a lot of climbing, not a lot of people.
    I forgot to add - some ranchers have their herd in this area right now so while you might not see people, you probably will see cows. IDK how your daughter is but I could see kids thinking that's really cool, or really scary.

The spur line trails out in 3 springs are the easiest flow riding in town. I’ve never actually been but my wife likes it.

In the Test Tracks (overend). Park at Leyden cul-de-sac. up Hidden Valley and down Star Wars is a great ride for an intermediate kid. If she wants more, do an out and back on the North Hogsback trail. Or up 8 bells, down Ella Vita. Residential roads back to your car.

I wouldn’t go to Dolores or Phil’s in the summer. Ever.

If she can handle a 2 mile climb (at elevation) riding up the Pass Creek Trail from Coal Bank and down Engineer Mtn Trail is a great loop that requires a shuttle or hitch. (2 up, 6 down with mind blowing, life changing scenery on top).

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

ride turkey springs in Pagosa on the way down. Similiar to Bogey Draw, riding in the pines
    off your knees Louie

Durango bump. Found myself driving towards town and have a day (maybe two) to ride before continuing south.

Based on current conditions (June 3) and my lack of a partner / shuttle, should I…

1. Hermosa TH > Bolam > Blackhawk > Stagecoach > beer

2. Grunt up Engineer > down Coal Creek > up Pass Creek > Engineer down > beer

3. Something else I hadn’t considered with relatively easy logistics and a solid Durango experience

4. Barter for a shuttle in exchange for beer

Some added consideration for easy camping access. I gather hermosa checks that box.

Thanks in advance for any insights or chuckles

You’ll need skis for that stuff! Still anshitload of snow up high. Town trails are in great shape.
    Out and back on Jones Cr is good mid county. Haflin is also running sweet now.

None of the rides you mentioned are ready at this point. There is still snow down to 10k in most spots in the Juan’s. It’s melting, but not quickly. Best guess is Engineer by late June and Bolam/Blackhawk by mid-July?

I’ll admit I’m in the Frange currently and super injured so I’m not riding but the highest any of my friends have been riding is High Point off the CT near town and Haflin Creek.

If you're coming from the north, the lower elevation stuff around Montrose/Ridgway has been riding great and the temps have been pleasant.

HomeSlice Pizza has good meatball subs, get two

Well shoot, guess I should have anticipated that considering I spent last week skiing. Will check out the town trails. And the meatballs.

Phil’s World is the answer.