Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Honestly, you’re probably better off just riding Jones/Pinkerton/Dutch/Hermosa from the lower Hermosa TH.
    Elbert is a grind, and I’ve heard that section of Pinkerton is kinda meh. Decent descent into Dutch, but with running the shuttle, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I agree. Elbert Creek Trail gets a lot of horse traffic and is a bit too much of a grind.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I agree. Elbert Creek Trail gets a lot of horse traffic and is a bit too much of a grind.
    Thanks for the last minute call, Joetron. We ended up riding Pass Creek - Engineer - Engine Creek... goddamn that's a killer descent.

Go old school, Animas Mountain at high noon and then fuck around on the test tracks. Guessing to be authentic, one should be hungover and have a belly full of something containing green chili or "the cure" if that place is still open. Possibly smoke some weed and sniff McChrystals Snuff. Finish the day on a tube purchased from an auto parts store floating the river with no sunscreens.

The cure! A Durango institution.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Thanks for the last minute call, Joetron. We ended up riding Pass Creek - Engineer - Engine Creek... goddamn that's a killer descent.
    This was 100% the correct choice.
    Now please delete this, hahaha.

Honestly, you’re probably better off just riding Jones/Pinkerton/Dutch/Hermosa from the lower Hermosa TH.
    Elbert is a grind, and I’ve heard that section of Pinkerton is kinda meh. Decent descent into Dutch, but with running the shuttle, I’m not sure it’s worth it.
    Didn't see this earlier but have ridden parts of that route. As mentioned Elbert is a grind. When I rode it I climbed from Hwy 550 over the top and dropped Big Lick down to Hermosa. Of Big Lick, Little Elk and Dutch, Elbert is the least awesome descent. I've ridden Pinkerton Flag as far as Little Elk. That section beyond Dutch has some jeep road and double track and isn't as nice as the section between Jones and Dutch. Lots of cattle too. Some pics from a trip years ago: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/trip-re.../#post-9841144

Bumping this old thread hoping for fresh leads. I'm going to be in Durango next week for a social function, and the thought crossed my mind that I've never visited or ridden there - seems worthwhile to maybe bring my bike or rent for a day. We are staying 20 minutes north of the town for the first three days, and in town for the next four. What is in good conditions right now? I won't have loads of free time, but I might be able to do one full day ride and one or two half days. Any tips on bike rental or good loops are much appreciated. I'll likely be riding solo. It sounds like it's been extra dry, and the high country is starting to melt out (?) I'm a delicate PNW fungus so I can climb hills (slowly) and am definitely going to wilt in the sun. What is sun?

Almost everything is dry up high but not everything has been cleared of deadfall yet. Trailforks is the best source for updated conditions in my limited experience so far. It's been hot at lower elevations and lack of rain has turned everything into a dust bowl, especially stuff that is open to motos. Supposed to be some rain and cooler temps starting this weekend so hopefully that will improve.

20min north of town = near Purgatory?

I'll let others chime in on specific loops that are riding well right now as I've only been down here a few weeks and have mostly been riding near Cortez, Mancos, and Dolores and haven't explored around Durango as much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Almost everything is dry up high but not everything has been cleared of deadfall yet. Trailforks is the best source for updated conditions in my limited experience so far. It's been hot at lower elevations and lack of rain has turned everything into a dust bowl, especially stuff that is open to motos. Supposed to be some rain and cooler temps starting this weekend so hopefully that will improve.

20min north of town = near Purgatory?

I'll let others chime in on specific loops that are riding well right now as I've only been down here a few weeks and have mostly been riding near Cortez, Mancos, and Dolores and haven't explored around Durango as much yet.
    Yes, I’ll be staying north of town halfway between Durango and Purgatory for a few days. Thanks for confirming my suspicion about the moon dust situation. I assume that the rides near Purgatory and north of there at high elevation will yield better conditions and cooler weather. If anyone has specific route/segment suggestions in that area for next week, I am all ears.

Apparently Silverton has some new trail work going on. Anyone ride any of those yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Apparently Silverton has some new trail work going on. Anyone ride any of those yet?
    Baker's park? I don't know if they've done much besides flagging routes and fundraising. I know they didn't get the CPW grant funding they applied for, and I haven't seen or heard news of any other funding.

It’s supposed to start raining on Thursday night (hopefully), and pretty steady through the weekend, so next week should be primo action.
    Sounds like you’ll be in Hermosa, so Jones Creek would be a fun out and back and close by.
    The high country is pretty much good to go, a few trees still uncut in a few trails, but everything should be mostly clear after this weekend.
    Pass Creek to Engineer Mtn Trail is a fun ride. Quick shuttle and 900ft climb.
    Near town: Dry Fork to CT to Hoffheins Lolipop is a must do.
    I’m at Durango Cyclery, stop by say hey and we can look at maps and give suggestions. I’ll be out of town from next Thursday through the weekend, but beyond that, if the shop is open, I’ll be here.

It’s supposed to start raining on Thursday night (hopefully), and pretty steady through the weekend, so next week should be primo action.
    Sounds like you’ll be in Hermosa, so Jones Creek would be a fun out and back and close by.
    The high country is pretty much good to go, a few trees still uncut in a few trails, but everything should be mostly clear after this weekend.
    Pass Creek to Engineer Mtn Trail is a fun ride. Quick shuttle and 900ft climb.
    Near town: Dry Fork to CT to Hoffheins Lolipop is a must do.
    I’m at Durango Cyclery, stop by say hey and we can look at maps and give suggestions. I’ll be out of town from next Thursday through the weekend, but beyond that, if the shop is open, I’ll be here.

This was exactly the level of detail I was looking for. Thank you! Anticipation building for "Primo action"

I know nothing about conditions, but 2 of the best rides of my life have been molas pass to engineer Mt and down to cascade creek, it's an easy hitch back up to the car (so shuttling is simple) and Kennebec Pass to town on the Colorado Trail, which is crazy fun but a difficult shuttle, it's easier to pay for that one.

Great riding right in town up Horse Gulch, anything from 1 hour to a half day, but it can get blazing hot so do it in the morning if it's a hot day
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I know nothing about conditions, but 2 of the best rides of my life have been molas pass to engineer Mt and down to cascade creek, it's an easy hitch back up to the car (so shuttling is simple) and Kennebec Pass to town on the Colorado Trail, which is crazy fun but a difficult shuttle, it's easier to pay for that one.

Great riding right in town up Horse Gulch, anything from 1 hour to a half day, but it can get blazing hot so do it in the morning if it's a hot day
    If paying for a shuttle from town for Kennebec Pass, what service/shop do you recommend? Thanks for the suggestions.

It was years ago, so no idea what the options are now; the only game in town back then was Hermosa Tours. I bet joetron or other Durango locals have the details.

Hermosa Tours is the only game in town for shuttles. Kennebec is well worth the dough.
    Dromond, I’d just bring a bike if you can. There are a bunch of great, quick 1-3 hour options riding right from town…flowy to top notch jank.

Thanks again to you both for the tips!

FWIW, the Kennebec to town ride was my least favorite of everything I've done around Durango (which is fairly limited). All of the rides up above Purgatory were much better, both in terms of descents, scenery, and bang-for-buck. Molas to Engineer is incredible as is Pass Creek to any of the other descents in the area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DurangoDay1-2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	419016

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Baker's park? I don't know if they've done much besides flagging routes and fundraising. I know they didn't get the CPW grant funding they applied for, and I haven't seen or heard news of any other funding.
    Personally I hope it doesn't happen. I know that sounds a bit odd and maybe selfish but one allure for silverton I have is that it isn't a bike town and all the trails are rugged. Really is nice when you camp n ride there for a week and don't see anybody since it's all 4x4 tourists. Especially since camping anywhere beyond the easy access camping is wide open most of the time.

Also I have zero confidence in any of the current trail crews to build decent trails without a million grade reversals all in the name of "sustainability" (like for instance the garbage monstrosity that is the new magic meadows in Telluride, feels like you're pedaling downhill for 5 miles). I've talked with Cliff at pedal the peaks as he's a sorta friend of mine and even he's a bit conflicted. I'd rather have one seriously rad trail that erodes and needs maintenance every year than 10 marginal trails built overly sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Personally I hope it doesn't happen. I know that sounds a bit odd and maybe selfish but one allure for silverton I have is that it isn't a bike town and all the trails are rugged. Really is nice when you camp n ride there for a week and don't see anybody since it's all 4x4 tourists. Especially since camping anywhere beyond the easy access camping is wide open most of the time.

Also I have zero confidence in any of the current trail crews to build decent trails without a million grade reversals all in the name of "sustainability" (like for instance the garbage monstrosity that is the new magic meadows in Telluride, feels like you're pedaling downhill for 5 miles). I've talked with Cliff at pedal the peaks as he's a sorta friend of mine and even he's a bit conflicted. I'd rather have one seriously rad trail that erodes and needs maintenance every year than 10 marginal trails built overly sustainable.
    I'm in agreement with most of what you are saying. I'm conflicted as I am constantly advocating for more trails in the region and I personally want more riding within day tripping distance for myself. With that being said, I want more GOOD riding, not more contouring BS full of grade reversals.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post

I got the feeling that it is just the locals who live in Silverton building the trail for themselves. Not trying to become "Bike town USA" or anything. I could be way off but it was just the feel I got from a friend who lives there's FB posts. I really have very little knowledge other than that. But hey, if some folks in that town want to build a bike trail, I think that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW, the Kennebec to town ride was my least favorite of everything I've done around Durango (which is fairly limited). All of the rides up above Purgatory were much better, both in terms of descents, scenery, and bang-for-buck. Molas to Engineer is incredible as is Pass Creek to any of the other descents in the area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DurangoDay1-2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	419016
    Oh I see so Molas to Engineer is a good longer route rather than Pass Creek. Do you have any specifics recs by Purgatory? Elbert Cr to Dutch Cr shuttle? Goulding?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I got the feeling that it is just the locals who live in Silverton building the trail for themselves. Not trying to become "Bike town USA" or anything. I could be way off but it was just the feel I got from a friend who lives there's FB posts. I really have very little knowledge other than that. But hey, if some folks in that town want to build a bike trail, I think that's awesome.
    That's my impression too. I don't really see a tight little network of beginner and intermediate flow trails right next to town as turning Silverton into the next Crested Butte. That said, if the locals there want to diversify their tourist traffic to include people other than Texan rednecks in SXS and GOTOS Jeeps I can't really blame them for that.

I also think trail crews are starting to learn how to build the contouring, grade reversal, erosion resistant trails that land managers want and still make them fun. See Floyd Hill and Maryland Mountain. I don't think we're going to be getting a lot of new steep, fall line, janky trails unless they're on private land or built illegally. Besides, nobody rides half the ones we have - I've been on two (completely legal and mapped) trails in the last week that hadn't seen a bike tire in weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Oh I see so Molas to Engineer is a good longer route rather than Pass Creek. Do you have any specifics recs by Purgatory? Elbert Cr to Dutch Cr shuttle? Goulding?
    The section of the CT heading out from Molas is beautiful. Highly recommend.

Near Purg - I haven't ridden any of it yet, but Hotel Draw and Bolam Pass Roads are commonly used as uphills to access the CT and Stagecoach and Corral Draw as descents. Few different ways to link those together. Hardmen drop over the other side down Salt Creek and pedal back up Scotch Creek Rd. All of these are generally considered good, but not as good as the stuff up higher.

You can also get dropped off at Purgatory and ride down Hermosa Creek Trail as a shuttle.

Jones/Pinkerton/Dutch is recommended a lot but personally I'd avoid it at the moment. They're open to motos and even the moto trails I've been riding near Mancos that get minimal traffic are blown the fuck out right now. The moisture coming should help but I'd stick to the non motorized trails for the best chance of good conditions. Since you only have time for a few rides there's more than enough to keep you busy on the non-moto stuff.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 06-16-2022 at 02:11 PM.