Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Nice work nc, congrats

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

One more... Couple days left to fill my Cow B tag and then it's a wait until some rifle hunts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bull down.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.94 MB 
ID:	341760

Name:	62291815022__7338C2F6-FA6B-4750-A521-B3929784E8DA.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	341761

Nice work Covert - your crew is stacking 'em high

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Wow again well done Hatch!!!

Buddy was on two bulls last night, but couldn't get closer than 60yds. Hopefully they will still be there tomorrow morning.

Thermals. Study them.
    You seem to be doing so much right, but you never talk about thermals. A knowledge and mindfulness of thermals as terrain and habitat might be one of those little tricks that take you into the Bigs and save you tons of effort in the process.
    We're all well aware that ungulates all have highly developed whiskers near their noses for detecting very slight air currents, and fixing the direction of scents. It's a major sensing apparatus they use as often as sight or hearing. A fish is bright enough to place himself in eddies and currents that give him food or security, and so are elk.

Downside of blatting this shit on the internet is if people paid more attention to thermals, seasons would be shorter because hunters would be more efficient per unit of hunter effort.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Thermals. Study them.
    You seem to be doing so much right, but you never talk about thermals. A knowledge and mindfulness of thermals as terrain and habitat might be one of those little tricks that take you into the Bigs and save you tons of effort in the process.
    We're all well aware that ungulates all have highly developed whiskers near their noses for detecting very slight air currents, and fixing the direction of scents. It's a major sensing apparatus they use as often as sight or hearing. A fish is bright enough to place himself in eddies and currents that give him food or security, and so are elk.
    Yeah, I've got my wind smoke out like every 3 minutes. Have figured out how generally to move uphill at dawn while the cold air is still spilling down into the bottoms and move the opposite way as the wind turns once the sun warms the valleys.

We saw some fresh sign this am with good wind right as three ATVs ripped up the main road spooking everything within a couple miles.

Shit, if I have an animal down near a motorized FS road ill probably go get the atv for helping shuttle loads out, but I can't wrap my head around the idea that blasting up a valley in 2nd or 3rd gear at dawn. Wtf?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    We saw some fresh sign this am with good wind right as three ATVs ripped up the main road spooking everything within a couple miles.

Shit, if I have an animal down near a motorized FS road ill probably go get the atv for helping shuttle loads out, but I can't wrap my head around the idea that blasting up a valley in 2nd or 3rd gear at dawn. Wtf?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Those ATV guys are the dudes at the bar bitching that wolves ate all the elk.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Things ATV hunters say:
    “I haven’t seen a buck this year, the state is doing a terrible job managing our deer herd”
    This is an all too prominent mentality in UT, someone posted they had not seen any bucks in the area I’ve been hunting, I have seen bucks almost every day, not far from the road. He directly called out the division instead of blaming his inability to get off his ass

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Things ATV hunters say:
    “I haven’t seen a buck this year, the state is doing a terrible job managing our deer herd”
    This is an all too prominent mentality in UT, someone posted they had not seen any bucks in the area I’ve been hunting, I have seen bucks almost every day, not far from the road. He directly called out the division instead of blaming his inability to get off his ass

You should follow the UDWR on Instagram. The comments are....enlightening.

One of these days, I'll see some ATVs or UTVs drive by with red game bags, but I've been waiting a while.

Fall 20/21 Days Afield Thread

The dudes who work a bugle like a jazz trumpeter agitate me far more me than ATV / UTV crowd. Say it with me...less is more!

Dropping my rack off for a Euro mount tomorrow, and the rest of meat should be ready next week, stoked ! Home measurements were 322” Gross - 312” Net

Loving all the stoke on this thread, and Whiteroom if I'm working in on an animal my windchecker never leaves my hand, wind will change and swirl with every small change in the landscape.

Wyoming was a grind this year, we were in them every day but just couldn't make it happen. Got driven out of areas we've hunted before from all the people. Looked like a Colorado otc unit in the Arapahoe NF.

Finally made it happen on my bull on day 8. Then had a few rough days but on day 12, our last day, shit got real. Got to a high point early and could hear and see a giant herd across the drainage. Took til noon to get there and keep the wind right. Then DF outfitter rode his and his clients fat asses right thru our set up as we worked a bull. He was also a class A prick. Comments were made about burning camps down, luckily common sense prevailed.

Located another bull shortly after just using cow calls. Set up quick and he was coming hard, got to 30 and my brother sent one thru his heart. Started tracking and bulls were still screaming so we set up again. My cousin's buddy, who has never hunted before this trip, hit a 5x5 but was up high in no man's land. Uses a single pin and left it at 40 and the shot was uphill at 20. Bull's are still screaming so we set up again, cousin 1 was out front. A 5x5 and spike were coming in, 5x5 peeled off at 50, spike walked right. Ran 50 yards and tipped over. By now the herd is starting to move away from us. Cousin 2, who is a bit hyper, sees these elk getting bottled up crossing a bunch of scree. Takes off on a dead sprint, running thru the herd of cows. Doesn't catch up to the bulls in time for the first crossing but sees another one up ahead. Eats shit across the scree field and loses his range finder. Catches up to the elk and came in from below them and stuck a 5x5. Had I not seen it I would have never believed that would work. After 12 days of only 1 shot fired we got shots at 4 bulls in 2 hours.

Broke down the 3 elk we had down, tracked the wounded one for 5.5 hours before we lost blood and then gridded the area but couldn't find anything. I have no doubt that elk is alive and just fine. Got back to the truck with load 1 at 6 am. Took a nap til 9 and went back in for trips 2 and 3. Back to the truck by 730 pm with the last load and hit the road back to WI.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

GREAT recap - congratulations to your entire crew for gettin' it done. 12 hard days is dedication!
    The visual of you guys chasing them over scree fields is pretty funny.
    That second bull has some massive G4s!

Awesome! No mans land is a real thing. I hit my calf there with the first shot, found the arrow, didn't even think it hit the elk, luckily she stopped again at 50 and I put one through her heart. When I got to her I found that the first arrow went right into the void and its a very, very real thing and that cow would have lived.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

That is awesome HC. Way to make it happen!

Thats awesome to pull 3 bulls out like that...sounds like a sufferfest. Congrats on the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pushing the brow right there. Be careful. Best meat btw.

I'd take a pass, those are way too close to fall into the brow trap.

3 Guys and 3 Bulls Have To Drive Home In A Rented Car - The Movie

alarm is set for 2 am for the duck opener tomorrow. should be a good old fashioned goat roping out on the WMA.

Man, fast and furious morning. Could have limited on teal in 40 minutes but decided to hold out and try to get some big ducks to work, paid off, one shy of a two man limit, we both missed a drake mallard with our last 3 shells. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30C1444C-CF21-4CB2-9B99-BBD9EEEC3A02.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	342232

Nice!

Three gaddies Sunday night, then got out for a morning, another three gaddies and as usually happens at this spot, a Canada flew over too close and I ended up with another band!

Name:	62355340740__BED8A828-6CC6-46A7-9AFD-EB22B171C002.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	342592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9567.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	342593

Early rifle deer, finally connected on a mature buck, last year of my dedicated tag here in UT, stoked to end it on a high note. Hanging at 10k feet, fell ~200 yards down a steep avy chute breaking his g3, 22ish wide.

Name:	IMG_9575.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	343073

Name:	62406359775__2DE2CCA6-7165-400C-B721-394CD9118D66.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	343074

Name:	IMG_9572.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	343075

Name:	IMG_9571.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	343076

Great buck and beautiful country!

Sweet buck! Nice work.

Did you find the broken tine? Sure someone could put that back together.

People think i'm crazy, but mature mule deer buck meat may be my favorite. Enjoy!