Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    ^^^ Them kids go well heeled!

11-87 and some sorta nice OU with screw toobs? A Browning?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    ^^^ Them kids go well heeled!

11-87 and some sorta nice OU with screw toobs? A Browning?
    Ha ha good eye, but it’s a beretta a400 xcel 20 gauge and yes a browning cynergy micro midas 20 gauge.

I also bought the older one a beretta a400 extreme 12 gauge and the younger lefty a beretta M2 left hand 12 gauge for duck season.

Expensive for sure, but they are both straight a students in high school, don’t give me a bit of trouble, take all honors classes and the older also works 15-20 hours a week at Taco Bell. I’m beyond lucky they still spend time with me.

Life’s too short for cheap guns is what I tell the wife. They can take them with them as adults also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats ggl!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Nice!

Is that an X-bolt?
    It's a Sako 300 Win-Mag with Vortex 4-16x44. I need more time with it as it has the power get out to 400 yards, but I'm just not comfortable yet...
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    It's a Sako 300 Win-Mag with Vortex 4-16x44. I need more time with it as it has the power get out to 400 yards, but I'm just not comfortable yet...
    Congratulations on the elk! A 220 yard shot with the animal dropping immediately is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post

Agree with Talisman: Seems like you're doing just fine, brah.

Fantastic Hun hunting of late

Sweet action, all. Glad GGL got a modern rifle--that thing is teats, man.

My duck season continued with a bittersweet morning: I'm now 49/49 and have only shot 2 hens, which is wild in my experience. BUT...my 18 year old Benelli SBE 1 may have died this morning. After shooting my last duck, I noticed it was jammed which is unusual for that gun. I tried to pull the bolt back but it was super jammed, so I took it apart in the blind. Upon pulling the receiver apart, a piece of steel fell out--the bolt guide had partially sheered with at least one of the screws broken off in the receiver. I'm going to take it to a smith but I'm not hopeful. That said, that shotgun must have at least 10K shells through it, has been used as a paddle a few times, been duckin' in seven states and I bet it's jammed maybe 10 times total--and I bought it used at the local gun shop. I have cleaned it no more than twice a year, max. I replaced the internals last year which cost me about $125. Assuming it can't be fixed, I'll be buying another SBE. They're simply impossible to beat.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Fall 20/21 Days Afield Thread

Bummer about the shotty, Reverend. Contact Benelli, they will have parts for it. Love my SBEII, had her since they came out, work horse that puts the smack down on all things feathered. My hunting buddy has an original SBE that he neglects heavily but yet she still keeps running.
    Waterfowl here in the Panhandle has been awesome if a guy puts in the time to scout. Limits of ducks and geese the last four days. Finally gave myself and the dogs some rest today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62793296230__A2D1BC5B-1273-4A52-951E-FBEC6AEF8FBA.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	349753

That’s the first I think I’ve heard of a killed benelli. I finally upgraded to a beretta al391 which was passed down from my step dad last year but the nova is still in the safe, and has seen its abuses.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Fantastic Hun hunting of late

I love everything about this except the part where I have to clean them.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Slow morning in the marsh. Bailed and went looking for elk, late archery spike tag. Found the herd, about 70 head. Spread over public and private though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If you do replace, beware the sbe3 which is the latest generation has a shot pattern that is very off and shoots very high. Google the isssue before committing. I have a sbe2 and wouldn’t change it for a 3. Either that or go beretta a400 extreme.
    Sad they ruined the proud black eagle but it’s true.

https://www.randywakeman.com/TheDesi...lackEagle3.htm

Good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    If you do replace, beware the sbe3 which is the latest generation has a shot pattern that is very off and shoots very high. Google the isssue before committing. I have a sbe2 and wouldn’t change it for a 3. Either that or go beretta a400 extreme.
    Sad they ruined the proud black eagle but it’s true.

https://www.randywakeman.com/TheDesi...lackEagle3.htm

Good explanation.

A few years ago I decided to retire my SBE and bought a 3, which I promptly sold a few days later. So yeah, I'm aware!

Welp, the streak ended when I shot four ducks this evening. Going back out tomorrow AM to try to get it back on the rails.

Good news is that I found a "salesman sample" SBE 2 in Twintucky that looked to be in perfect condition for $1100. It shot well tonight so it looks like my duck gun needs are filled for another 20 years!

Already some shotgun talk, so I'd rather ask here than the guns thread. The only shotgun I have is an old Ithaca 16 gauge pump model 37 featherweight. It's kind of an heirloom to me and I'd rather not beat it up out in the field. What is the choice for an all-around semi auto for less than $1000? Looks like I'm in the Berreta A300/Franchi Affinity 3/Winchester SX4 range? Any strong recommendations?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. I have an al391 Urika Beretta, have a friend who shoots the Franchi, loves it. I'd find a shop that has all three or drive around and find the one that shoulders best for you. I'd personally be looking at Franchi (Benelli family) or Beretta over the SX4, but at that price point and out of those guns, comes down to fit.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Love my 20 ga. Affinity. Light, easy to tear down and clean. Eats everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	affinity.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	342.3 KB 
ID:	350838

Snapt - Is that an Uggie?

I have a nice 16Ga Ugartechia that looks just like that....love it!!! (although yours has niiiiice wood)

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. I have an al391 Urika Beretta, have a friend who shoots the Franchi, loves it. I'd find a shop that has all three or drive around and find the one that shoulders best for you. I'd personally be looking at Franchi (Benelli family) or Beretta over the SX4, but at that price point and out of those guns, comes down to fit.
    Good call on trying them for fit. I'll look for the Franchi and Beretta locally and see what I can find.

Don't discount the newish Weatherby autos. I have a few friends shooting them now and love them--Another good enertia driven option.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Don't discount the newish Weatherby autos. I have a few friends shooting them now and love them--Another good enertia driven option.
    That's what I was initially looking for actually, but they seem to be hard to find right now.

Name:  IMG_9339 (1).jpg
Views: 273
Size:  120.8 KB
    Sorry girl.
    Not like some of the monsters posted up here already, but I'm very grateful.

Struck out in my elk season.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Not like some of the monsters posted up here already, but I'm very grateful.

Struck out in my elk season.
    Solid work on filling your deer tag! A doe is typically great eating. I didn't get a chance to take a deer this season but did manage an elk. Next year may we both tag out.