Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Nice Rev! The pup managed a nice point and reset on a running bird in the strong winds today, I was real stoked on his work. Longest tail on a public land pheasant I've killed in Idaho.

Damn, nice birds. I should be up in West Dakota right now, but the shoulder says no.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	176020_547569255269015_1105226975_o.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	343833

Nice work snapt and floater! Would've served me well to be in Idaho today... Got up to ~7500' where the blue grouse like to hang out these days, popped off two shots that didn't connect, and then promptly saw a bear maybe 2-300 yards uphill from me while the dog and I were traversing a steep slope. It was then that I realized my bear spray wasn't on the hip strap to my bag, so we made our way back down even though it appeared to just be a black bear.

Name:	IMG_7027.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	786.2 KB 
ID:	343834

Name:	IMG_7033.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	507.7 KB 
ID:	343835

After having a few shots blown by four wheelers over the last couple weeks, decided to try again. Then my buddy showed up at his yurt and we stayed up til 3 am playing poker and drinking whiskey. It was hard getting up before sunrise. Worth it though-notched my cow tag yesterday.

Been having a really good fall between elk and waterfowl seasons but this morning was pretty special. Little dude went on his first waterfowl hunt with my dad and I. Pretty stoked on this one!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

That’s super cool LE!! Took my little ones waterfowling at a very young age as well. Memories are etched forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    After having a few shots blown by four wheelers over the last couple weeks, decided to try again.
    Great you took a cow and filled the freezer with great tasting meat. I feel your pain, nothing like a long stalk with a favorable breeze and getting into position when the moto brigade rumbles by to get the herd noses up and heading out. Most of the time I don't think the four wheeler crowd even see an elk.

Horses and mules are your friends if you have wilderness areas nearby.

The worst of the last couple weeks was laying prone with a bipod waiting for the herd to stop moving to pull the trigger. Two quads drove about 10’ under where they were. No idea they were that close-I ended up talking to the quad dudes later in the day. Also had hairs on one at 30 yds broadside but couldn’t see its head in the brush. Waited until after legal shooting light and backed out. Frustrating but fun. Played the ridges and wind on that group and beat them to their funnel.

^that sounds terribly frustrating.

Few birds on sunday. Ton of great dog work. From chasing down cripples to finding dead birds in the tall stuff.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Coworker and I shot 14 green brains in under an hour today. That was fun.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Slow down. Take in the views.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Coworker and I shot 14 green brains in under an hour today. That was fun.
    Those are the fun days. Nice work, but pics or it didn't happen.....

Pup hammered the huns yesterday.

Name:  IMG_5398.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_5393.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  48.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5402.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  135.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2795.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  175.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5446.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  110.5 KB
    Squeaked out a one man limit between the 3 of us on the last day of the early season here in CO. Not a lot flying around our Island out on the western slope.

Hit one of my favorite spots for the first time this season. Last hunt with my dad was here. Always special. I let the teal, pintails, and others slide until 10. Given weather forecast was hoping for 7 greenheads. Came home with 3. Things shut down at 11. The dog made me shoot the spoonie, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Slow down. Take in the views.

Went out Thursday afternoon and took a leisurely white thing census across from Smug Harbor while it was so fair & fine. Suffice to say was pleased. My little plan of taking advantage of the westering sun was propitious, as the gentleman white things were down with the ladies, and they all just glowed.
    Used the drilled lens cap on the heavy 80mm, and counted rings from 1.3-1.5miles away. That kinda day.

Thinkin' if I or anyone I know draws it, I might get me a 20lb .30-378 or some other 2-mile rifle and ice fish for wolves out there this winter...Lamb Lives Matter

No you can't have pics. This never happened. fkna

We live on 9 acres in a Chicago suburb, back half is woods into a mostly dry slough. Kids found a tree stand back there, hunting is illegal as we live in a municipality and the person is trespassing. Tree stand has no ID on it, we notified sheriff, we wrote a note on the tree that they have a week to remove and we also put a few trail cams out. We try manage the land well so we have multiple 8pt bucks rolling around the hood. Are we being unreasonable?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

yer being way to reasonable..... fuck trespassers. they know the rules and they know it ain't their land.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    We live on 9 acres in a Chicago suburb, back half is woods into a mostly dry slough. Kids found a tree stand back there, hunting is illegal as we live in a municipality and the person is trespassing. Tree stand has no ID on it, we notified sheriff, we wrote a note on the tree that they have a week to remove and we also put a few trail cams out. We try manage the land well so we have multiple 8pt bucks rolling around the hood. Are we being unreasonable?

Take the stand down and leave a note saying to call you if they want it back.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Take the stand down and leave a note saying to call you if they want it back.
    I agree with this.

North or southside? Never mind of course its northside...

WWAMD?(what would Andrew McLean do?)

I'd hunt the shit out of Lake Forest. Those deer are fat and stupid. And less deer means less wrecked BMW's and Volvos.

Take it down, person isn't a rocket scientist. Probably a kid. When trespassing and poaching, a climber is the way to go.

Man I thought this nasty weather would be great for hunting today in UT. Tons of birds flying but we were not on the x. Too many real birds landing near us. Guys 300 yards away were slaying them. One GWT hen to show for it. Yesterday however was a limit, was passing on teal early which turned out to be a mistake as a quick limit turned into about 4.5 hours to scratch one out.

Name:	IMG_9622.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	344827

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Fall 20/21 Days Afield Thread

Took advantage of the 80 degree weekend and my son hooked a manta ray. One hour fight for him on 20lb braided line and a broken net. We cut him/her out safely and returned to the marsh of SC Lowcountry

Our net was comically undersized and so was the tackle, but he was victorious
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk