Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    ^cownose ray, lost an unattended rod to one once. We were fishing peelers on the bottom for specks and puppydrum.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    I let the teal, pintails, and others slide until 10......The dog made me shoot the spoonie, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Why let sprigs and teal slide? Sprigs are rad and teal are delicious!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

They fly too fast?

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Took advantage of the 80 degree weekend and my son hooked a manta ray. One hour fight for him on 20lb braided line and a broken net. We cut him/her out safely and returned to the marsh of SC Lowcountry

Our net was comically undersized and so was the tackle, but he was victorious
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How the hell did you get the ray into that net? I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    How the hell did you get the ray into that net? I'm impressed!
    Wings folded up like a burrito. Had to cut it out though. My sons is 14 and like most kids has had a rough 8 months. The only blessing is the extra time we’ve been hanging out together, we were not to be denied. It took him a solid hour to fight on light tackle.

Rifle season in MT began on Saturday to conditions that were almost as cold and snowy last year and every bit as windy. This 5x5 (I am not going to stretch those tiny forks) bull appeared in a burn area at 150 yards and stared at me long enough to get him through the neck with a 180 grain PSP 30-06 round. Typically I use a SP and was surprised how little expansion I got out of the PSP but the elk went down hard.

Name:  2020 Hunt Bull.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  93.7 KB

Nice work.

Way to get it done Talisman, great bull!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sweet Talisman!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Why let sprigs and teal slide? Sprigs are rad and teal are delicious!
    Sprigs are small and you only get one. I don't like painting myself into a corner. Same with hen mallards. Not going to shoot one until I'm at number 5 or closing out a slow day. Teal are tasty, I ate several last night, but they are small and a little goofy in an endearing way. I would rather shoot some fat jumbo greenheads if a limit of 7 might be in the cards. Just my preference and how I roll at this point.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Nicely done Talisman.

Went out on Monday and found beds and tracks everywhere. Big herd was probably only 2 hours in front of us. Was so nice having snow on the ground.

Nice work Talisman.

And lots of good bird stoke in the last couple pages. I need to do more of that.

I got back from the GTNP goat cull on Thursday. We had no luck, didn't even see any. It didn't take too much math to understand that are aren't many left in the park. Weather didn't work out great for us either, dumped up to 2 feet of snow on the night before our hunt and then broke clear and cold at -15f. Glassing up goats in fresh snow seems hard enough, sitting still for very long at sub zero temps adds to the experience. We still had fun hiking in new to me zones in the park and spotted lots of other animals while glassing.

Always down to chase ducks anywhere in UT.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Weather didn't work out great for us either, dumped up to 2 feet of snow on the night before our hunt and then broke clear and cold at -15f.
    Character building October weather! Sounds like you made the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I got back from the GTNP goat cull on Thursday. We had no luck, didn't even see any. It didn't take too much math to understand that are aren't many left in the park. Weather didn't work out great for us either, dumped up to 2 feet of snow on the night before our hunt and then broke clear and cold at -15f. Glassing up goats in fresh snow seems hard enough, sitting still for very long at sub zero temps adds to the experience. We still had fun hiking in new to me zones in the park and spotted lots of other animals while glassing.
    Damn, sounds tough. We put in for the onp cull. Didn't get selected.

No pics but had the privilege of accompanying Snapt and his pup Sage on a really fun upland hunt in Eastern Idaho. Only ended up bagging one bird but it was my younger dog's first Sharptail so pretty damned cool. It's getting mounted for the wall of first birds. Thanks again, Snapt.

In small world news, turns out he just moved into the guest house of a longtime friend of mine. Small world indeed.

Good chasing birds with ya Rev. I think I forgot to mention it was Homemadesalsa here on TGR that let me know about my current living situation in the Tetons thread, just to make the world a little smaller.

I don’t know why I wasn’t adding egg and milk to my jalapeño cheddar bratwurst recipes the past 6 years. What a game changer in the sausage world. 15 pounds of sausage made this weekend, above, chorizo, and breakfast

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Always down to chase ducks anywhere in UT.

I've got zero duck hunting experience but it looks fun.

Anyone here ever hunt Utah fall turkey? Permits are cheap, can take either sex and the season is long. I've always thought of turkey hunting as long, boring sits, is the fall hunt any different? Can use rimfire rifles in the fall too.

Private lands only for the most part from what I saw. Happy to take you out for ducks.

Today jump shooting was very productive at spot 2 after spot 1 was a bust. First woodie drake!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9646.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	345900

Shot a few limits of greenies on Saturday with a buddy. Early season seems to be strong this year.

Took a Navy friend on leave out today for chuks and huns and bagged a few of each. Chuker population seems healthy which is great. Fraggle dogs did great, even in very high winds. Unfortunately Judy (the older dog) stole a chuk out of my vest when we got home and ate everything but the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Shot a few limits of greenies on Saturday with a buddy. Early season seems to be strong this year.

Took a Navy friend on leave out today for chuks and huns and bagged a few of each. Chuker population seems healthy which is great. Fraggle dogs did great, even in very high winds. Unfortunately Judy (the older dog) stole a chuk out of my vest when we got home and ate everything but the feet.
    Nice...had that almost happen once with a bird in a jacket.

Went after chukars today with the flushing crew. Note to self need pointing dog. Lab would get on them and haul ass straight up the mountain. Managed to roll one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Nice...had that almost happen once with a bird in a jacket.

Went after chukars today with the flushing crew. Note to self need pointing dog. Lab would get on them and haul ass straight up the mountain. Managed to roll one.

As a previous lab owner, I feel your pain. I love labs and they do everything well but with chuks, ludes and Sharpies, a solid pointer will change your life. That said, if I didn't do so much upland hunting, I'd still be a lab guy for sure.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."