Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fall 20/21 Days Afield Thread

Starting the new thread since we're getting posts in the old one about upcoming seasons.

This is the place for sharing stories of success and failure, adventure, recipes, shit-talking on 6.5 creedmore, shit-talking on Utard hunters and their narcissistic gym selfies (me excluded, no one wants to see me with my shirt off).

My tags this year are 8/1 doe pronghorn down by Fillmore Utah, rifle
    OTC Elk archery (hopefully 3 season, but still over 1500 people in front of me on the Utah DNR site)
    Three season buck tag
    Hopefully a leftover anterless deer tag
    Tagging along on a bookcliffs bison hunt
    Lots of waterfowl.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

All OTC in-state BG for me with access to shoot a B tag cow elk on private ground. And looking forward to Indian Country ditch chickens in October.

Going out to set game cameras next week, and have some new Geovid 8x42's on the way.

No draw on any of the Utah cow or antlerless hunts. No draw on Utah moose. No draw on LE Utah Bull. No draw on two separate WY tags and I missed the boat on ID tags.

So I was a little nervous this morning for OTC UT elk, but I finally got in and bought one. Just talked to a buddy of mine that decided to log on to buy his tag at about 10am. He was over 200,000 in the queue. For 30,000 total tags available. For perspective the OTC tags typically take 2-3 weeks to sell out.

Drew a cow tag by my buddies yurt. He's got a herd on public ground just off his property. That's of course barring any wildfire action which has become more prominent recently. Going to hopefully get some muley hunting in with Rev too.

Drew a cow tag after last year's bull. Same unit in Idaho. Unfortunately, just bought a perfect hunting cabin.... but in a different unit! Luckily mule deer should be abundant near the cabin, so I should be able to log a day or two there after I find a cow.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Where's your cabin?

Pronghorn and Mulie (either sex) in Wyoming and Whitetail in Wisco.
    My son is threatening to move to Alaska, so my territory may expand in future years.

Burned my CO points to be able to hunt archery bulls on some private ground down south. Not sure if the point game is worth it. Same with deer, burned points for a 3rd season buck tag which are later dates and roughly old 4th season dates. List B cow tag for archery in the backyard when I'm not down on the ranch hunt. Couple bear tags and then onto waterfowl and lions hopefully!

Good luck all!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Will be in the woods on 9/7 for Montana Archery opener.

In other news looks like I may never get my 2018 Mulie from the taxidermist and if I do it will probably be a shit job. Piecing together the story it looks like the kid (who is in his late 40s maybe) inherited his dad's taxidermy business, but the kid has no business doing taxidermy. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Will be in the woods on 9/7 for Montana Archery opener.

In other news looks like I may never get my 2018 Mulie from the taxidermist and if I do it will probably be a shit job. Piecing together the story it looks like the kid (who is in his late 40s maybe) inherited his dad's taxidermy business, but the kid has no business doing taxidermy. Fuck.
    Offer to just grab it and do a european yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Offer to just grab it and do a european yourself.
    It's a freakin shoulder mount. Who knows the status of the cape at this point. Rack was just the top of the skull since I never planned to european. Already paid the dude half when I dropped it off. September 2018.

Already paid the dude half when I dropped it off. September 2018.
    Small claims court or contact the guy who owns that candy store in Newark?

It's a freakin shoulder mount. Who knows the status of the cape at this point. Rack was just the top of the skull since I never planned to european. Already paid the dude half when I dropped it off. September 2018.
    That sucks, sorry man.

Sucks, but a legit taxi will have some extra capes.

I haven't even tried to call the guy in about 6 months. His yelp reviews all say he DOES NOT return calls, but after 3 years he will call you when it's finally done and he wants to get paid. Dude lives on a few million dollar piece of land too. I don't even know why he would bother doing the taxidermy business.

His reviews were all amazing when I dropped mine off and now they are all shit.

If you know where he lives, go have a chat.

Drew local pronghorn rifle for the first time in 20 years..

Archery elk in local unit

General muley local rifle, but taking some SEAL team guys which should just about kill me.

Western Washington late season elk with bro in law

Western Montana whitetail

Couse deer in Sonora for a work trip

Lots of ducks and upland.

Should be a good season!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Drew local pronghorn rifle for the first time in 20 years..

Archery elk in local unit

General muley local rifle, but taking some SEAL team guys which should just about kill me.

Western Washington late season elk with bro in law

Western Montana whitetail

Couse deer in Sonora for a work trip

Lots of ducks and upland.

Should be a good season!
    sounds great man.

I haven't even tried to call the guy in about 6 months. His yelp reviews all say he DOES NOT return calls, but after 3 years he will call you when it's finally done and he wants to get paid. Dude lives on a few million dollar piece of land too. I don't even know why he would bother doing the taxidermy business.

His reviews were all amazing when I dropped mine off and now they are all shit.
    Try to reach out the the old man......?

the kid (who is in his late 40s maybe) inherited his dad's taxidermy business, but the kid has no business doing taxidermy. Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Try to reach out the the old man......?

Prob not.

May be best for WG to file a lien and fuggetaboutit, or just accept that fkn buck got the better of him after all.

50 :-)
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't

Nice on the pronghorn tag! I think I'm now 0 for 6. I'm going to give archery pronghorn a shot next season.

Archery Elk
    Back yard whitetail
    Setter pup will be 18 months old and is eagerly awaiting Upland season.
    only 6 more weeks!

OTC bear
    Grouse
    Mtn goat
    OTC mule deer
    Upland hunting with my buddy's new dog

Pretty jazzed for the goat chance. I gotta get my foot problems taken care of.

Look who came walking through the back yard this morning. Never seen this muley before. Mostly whitetails around our place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200802_105748.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	336098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200802_105753.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	336099