Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    If you want the best pack in the business and want to judo chop your wallet, check out www.exomountaingear.com . Insanely light, bares weight better than most frame packs and is quiet and tight during the hunt. I've seen a lot of "ultralight" packs fail but never an EXO.

And the Seek Outsides are great packs, too.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I'm with Rev on this. Used my backpacking Deuter for awhile which worked. Replaced with an Exo of similar sized. Better pockets for hunting stuff, couple pounds lighter, and rides awesome with weight. Had it about four years now with no issues.

Thirded. I’ve been running EXO for a while now, currently running a K2, just can’t see the need to upgrade to the K3. That’s probably just my wallet speaking though. I’ve done a few 3-5 day hunts out of the 3500 bag, it’s tight but doable when pushing a 5 day trip. They haul meat and weight incredibly well.
    It’s awesome to get to the truck with the first load, strip the pack down to the crib panel and the slurpy stalker to go back in uber light to come out supa heavy.

It’s not. Don’t fret over it. Nobody is making you buy one. Matter of fact, they suck.

Worth, cost, and assets to trade for are only one individual’s concern. Always fun to hear opinions on price point. Capitalism right?

Barney packs are great packs and I own one. Haven’t used it for hunting big game since I went to EXO. I just prefer the way the EXO carries a load and sits on me, even more so with the K2 frame, esp when actively hunting. All the Alpha packs are great at carrying a load.

Probably. I don't have the ability to go far with more than 80-100 lbs. Exo is excellent in that range and under. If I were stronger, I'd probably be looking at frames.

Just got out of 5 days of public land archery elk hunting here, my first season. Called in a 5x5 that my partner shot, that was rad. I had a bull full draw at 60 yards that I held up on, wasn't comfortable for another 10 yards or so. We had elk screaming at us up close every morning. I'm exhausted. Perhaps mine will happen later this month. Going to rally the setter for some ruffs in the morning.

In regard to packs, I was super stoked on how my MR Pop-up 38 acted as a day pack and meat hauler. Super good compromise between the two.

Pics of the 5x5? Congrats to your buddy!
    Man, if they are that hot, I’d be right back in there.

Congrats on your buddies 5 point, that is fucking rad.

I really like my Kifaru, cousins really like their exo's, bro is iffy on his seek (has been in twice for repair but they covered it both times, second time just sent him a new frame) but really likes how it carries.

Make the 22 hour drive to Wyoming after work tomorrow. Pretty fucking stoked to pull that tag again. Hoping for more of this

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Waiting for him to shoot me the pic, my phone died as it was in the 20's up high, I'm thinking that cold front got them fired up, I've never experienced anything like it. So cool.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Waiting for him to shoot me the pic, my phone died as it was in the 20's up high, I'm thinking that cold front got them fired up, I've never experienced anything like it. So cool.
    That’s the shit man! I love calling for others, you can really get the big picture as when you’re the shooter, you’re super focused on getting the shot.
    Traveled quite a bit when buddies have drawn quality tags just to call and haul.
    Good luck man! Hope to see pics of your bull.

Had a cougar surprise me on a water hole at 15 yards tonight. So awesome but so unnerving. There have been a lot more sightings on the front this year. My buddy had 3 walk under his treestand at 30 yards last week

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Had a cougar surprise me on a water hole at 15 yards tonight. So awesome but so unnerving. There have been a lot more sightings on the front this year. My buddy had 3 walk under his treestand at 30 yards last week

No cat tags there?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Not until November.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Sad that this thread has drifted to page 3 during this time of year!

Animals hitting the dirt in Colorado. All archery, except the big bull was opening day of muzzleloader. Bunch of tags left to fill as well!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mbull.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	340415

Name:	deer.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	340416

Name:	bull.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	4.90 MB 
ID:	340417

Name:	cow.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	340418

that's so not socially acceptable.

FKNA - nice work Covert. That first bull is a beaut!

Been pretty quiet with my bow - fingers crossed for cooler weather and more vocal game

nice work! been slow over here, I've seen some nice bucks on the archery hunt here but muzzleloader starts next Wednesday, hoping the big 3 I saw Sunday AM is still around.

That's a very cool buck, @CovertM

Not sure how it is in other places, but stock up on your waterfowl ammo now, really low stock everywhere I checked today

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Been slow in SWMT so far. Only been out two days. Started calling in a mystery bull only to have a mountain biker in a bright blue jersey show up on the fire road above us and blow the whole thing.

Second day in a totally different part of the range buddy and I damn near walked into a nice mature bull on a ridge. Amateur move. We made a couple cow calls as we moved slowly up the ridge. We knew they were in the area, saw a couple tracks, and slight smell....come around a corner quietly and a the bull was running across a meadow 40 yds from us. We fucked that up. He bugled once again from half mile away and then it was quiet rest of the day. This time last year I was hearing a ton of bugling....and this year have only heard two bugles so far.

I'm still pretty much a full on amateur when it come to archery elk. I think my biggest thing is patience right now. Assume you are in a place where you have seen pretty fresh sign or just know that they hang out. No bugling going on. Make a couple cow calls and wait? How long do you wait before you move?

I hear so much conflicting info from people. Some guys I know who have hunted around here for 40+ years act like they are damn near running through the woods until they find animals. Others act like they are super duper quiet and try to call em in without moving much. Some claim the elk in some ranges/drainages around here are almost silent now even during the rut because of the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Been slow in SWMT so far. This time last year I was hearing a ton of bugling....and this year have only heard two bugles so far.
    The amount of bugling this season in SW MT varies a lot by day. Yesterday I was out on a hike here in Gallatin County 7000 feet and heard a two bugles close by. Saw a couple of cows 300 yards away and stalked closer to within 110 yards (I carry my range finder) not wearing any camo but had a favorable breeze. Watched the cows for a few minutes and a 6x6 came up to the cows. A half mile later another I heard couple more bugles, saw 3 cows at 200 yards and being still for a few minutes two bulls came up 6x6 and a 5x6. Of course a multi-tool was the only weapon I was carrying, but neither group was spooked. My take is the first estrus is on locally.

How’s it going everyone? Deer are plentiful but just can’t get within muzzy range on a decent buck. More tomorrow. Scouted for some ducks, next weekend is the opener and I’ll be braving Fallujah, aka Farmington Bay. Lots of birds around, saw some beautiful mallards and pintails in good color already. Found a nice little pocket that had a bunch of birds on it so hopefully we can get the spot, but looking like a 3am arrival for the long pedal out to the spot.

Helped my buddy pack out a raghorn a couple days ago that he arrowed the night before. That inspired my wife and I to do a shoulder season hayfield sit till dark, but the elk never showed up. Saw evidence that somebody pulled one out of there recently though. It all served to start the juices flowing...today we watched a couple episodes of Fresh Tracks.

Name:	20200924_114044.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	341489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200924_181255.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	341490