Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Don’t want to totally highjack this thread but it’s got a couple of weeks until it comes into all its glory.

For a Christmas present this year My brother and I want to take our dad to a lodge next fall for some upland hunting. We’re into bird hunting but it’s been mostly in the Midwest and he’s never done anything like this before. Has to be in the US, probably within a days drive of the Midwest and he’s 65 but gets around pretty well. Price isn’t a barrier but he wouldn’t want to have to get dressed up in tweed and have someone load his gun for him but I do want a nice place that will have really nice lodging and good food in addition to the hunting. Also, don’t want anything in ND, SD, IA or NE since we’ve hinted there before. Anyone have any recommendations? I’ve been through the Orvis Wing-shooting lodges and have a couple below that are leaders in the clubhouse now. Being able to fish is an added bonus.

Brush Creek Lodge- Saratoga, WY
    Deer Creek Lodge- Sebree, KY
    Flying B Ranch- Kamiah, ID

Any thoughts from the esteemed group?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Joshua creek ranch Boerne Texas is really nice. I’ve been there a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    1. Best tasting meat on the planet.
    2. Its actually more responsible from a conservation standpoint to kill a calf than a breeding cow, so don't feel guilty.
    3. You dress like a douche. And I thought I knew you.
    Hey, that’s my buddy! I was rockin the FL for the most part. Need to place an order and warranty some gaiters here soon. Those zip off long johns seem like a game changer for duck season where it’s 30 at the start and 65 when we’re done.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

3. You dress like a douche. And I thought I knew you.
    Bwah.

Nice work, Phall.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Hey, that’s my buddy! I was rockin the FL for the most part. Need to place an order and warranty some gaiters here soon. Those zip off long johns seem like a game changer for duck season where it’s 30 at the start and 65 when we’re done.

Glad to hear it! You know the drill...
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Don’t want to totally highjack this thread but it’s got a couple of weeks until it comes into all its glory.

For a Christmas present this year My brother and I want to take our dad to a lodge next fall for some upland hunting. We’re into bird hunting but it’s been mostly in the Midwest and he’s never done anything like this before. Has to be in the US, probably within a days drive of the Midwest and he’s 65 but gets around pretty well. Price isn’t a barrier but he wouldn’t want to have to get dressed up in tweed and have someone load his gun for him but I do want a nice place that will have really nice lodging and good food in addition to the hunting. Also, don’t want anything in ND, SD, IA or NE since we’ve hinted there before. Anyone have any recommendations? I’ve been through the Orvis Wing-shooting lodges and have a couple below that are leaders in the clubhouse now. Being able to fish is an added bonus.

Brush Creek Lodge- Saratoga, WY
    Deer Creek Lodge- Sebree, KY
    Flying B Ranch- Kamiah, ID

Any thoughts from the esteemed group?

No idea about Deer Creek but Brush runs big driven hunts and their Upland Hunts are/were for planted birds or leftovers from the driven. An acquaintance guides there and wear's a lot of tweed...

I've heard good things about Flying B, they actually hunt wild birds but also supplement their property with roosters etc. Good place to chase a wide variety of species and would likely be a much more authentic upland hunting experience.

Fall 20/21 Days Afield Thread

Deleted
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opplanet-minox-hg-8x43-br-binocular-62189-main.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	337708

The last hunting binos you'll ever need*, at a good price: https://www.opticsplanet.com/bauslomel12.html

* Solid mid-level sheep-tier glass

Great glass for the money, I've been running some HG 10x43 BR's since they came out over ten years ago. They just took the backseat to some Geovids this year, but I'm still not seeing a lot of difference in glass quality.

Yep, those Minoxs are very hard to beat. Gotta spend $3000 on some ELs or Leicas and carry another pound around your neck to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADF&G
    Spend as much money on a pair of binoculars as you do on your rifle.

Minox, man they made some shitty built cameras. Good ideas though, and decent optics.

Drew local pronghorn rifle for the first time in 20 years..

Archery elk in local unit

General muley local rifle, but taking some SEAL team guys which should just about kill me.

Western Washington late season elk with bro in law

Western Montana whitetail

Couse deer in Sonora for a work trip

Lots of ducks and upland.

Should be a good season!
    Damn, looks fun. Picked up an any weapon cow tag for idaho 19a-1.

Name:  gh3hjxrgx6j51.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  41.0 KB

I couldn't sleep last night. 2 more days!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I couldn't sleep last night. 2 more days!
    Good luck out there!

Good Luck! Weekend off for me, hoping the weather cools down. Grouse opens 9/1, and then gotta focus on this deer tag before the duck hunt starts!

My son and I got chosen to do the GTNP goat hunt. Zone 9, October 24th-29th. He's stoked, and I realize I may be in over my head.

Right on ZZZ. Myself and some buddies got selected for the Olympic NP removal. Fortunately we have trail access to our unit so I'm not feeling over my head but going in 25+ miles to shoot goats is going to be a lot of work.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Stoke is starting to build. Won't really get the bug again until I hear that first bugle. MT opening weekend looks like a hot one.

Nice ZZZ/JohnB. My buddy also got the ONP draw, sounds like he's going in with some legit shooters.

Grouse opens tomorrow, cooler temps and some rain overnight tonight should make tomorrow afternoon really good. Grouse numbers have been looking good around here.

Bunch of my coworkers drew the Teton goat tag. Not sure the details but they seem to be stoked.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Got out on Sunday to chase elk in 80+ weather. My legs hurt. I'm getting old.

So...heading down south this evening to shoot dove at the duck club. Sounds much more relaxing.

REI & Moose has the MR Terraframe 80 at <$350. If you can tolerate od color and don't need a lot of doodads, it's a good deal on a big cf hunting pack:

https://www.rei.com/product/164600/m...e-80-pack-mens

That's a great deal. I love my Sawtooth 45, MR packs carry extremely well. I'm a big fan of the brand.

about the same price you can drop 3 pounds with one of these https://seekoutside.com/revolution-s...on-pack-frame/
    add a dry bag and good to go - highly recommend

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    about the same price you can drop 3 pounds with one of these https://seekoutside.com/revolution-s...on-pack-frame/
    add a dry bag and good to go - highly recommend

If you want to go that route, well...

https://barneyssports.com/product/fr...eighter-frame/
    Last edited by highangle; 09-01-2020 at 05:06 PM.