Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    This will be my first true hunting season. I've gone out for small game in the past but this year I have a fall turkey tag to fill. October in Northern AZ. Currently getting different shot and chokes patterned and driving the forest roads in the unit to get a feel for the terrain. Very excited!
    It sucks to suck.

Damn, that deer looks young, with a killer rack. I'm not one of the "let em grow" crowd but I wonder what he could look like in 3 years.

First weekend of pronghorn hunting in the books, unsuccessful as of now, nursing some heat exhaustion after 36 hours in the desert, back at it Friday.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Spent the weekend scouting an area for the OTC rifle elk hunt. I've never seen the Uintas so hot, dry and crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Spent the weekend scouting an area for the OTC rifle elk hunt. I've never seen the Uintas so hot, dry and crowded.
    PM me if you want to bounce Uinta ideas back and forth. I know of a few areas that hold elk up there.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    PM me if you want to bounce Uinta ideas back and forth. I know of a few areas that hold elk up there.
    PM sent.

On the board. Doe pronghorn, 340yds, .308, monolithic bullets have amazing retention. Was a slow morning until I found them on private which I had permission on. Blew one stalk, they circled back to some others that I didn’t see earlier. Took my time and got a good shot. First rifle kill and first pronghorn. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9401.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	336672
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61860692513__866D9C75-0E99-44CD-BF2A-2C005E89355A.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	336673

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Look who came walking through the back yard this morning. Never seen this muley before. Mostly whitetails around our place.

Attachment 336098Attachment 336099
    Hard to tell from the pic but he looks pretty old to me... Gray face, a bit skinny for this time of year. If he is indeed old, he may have been bigger in years past. Who knows... Eat him and report back.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

On the board. Doe pronghorn, 340yds, .308, monolithic bullets have amazing retention. Was a slow morning until I found them on private which I had permission on. Blew one stalk, they circled back to some others that I didn’t see earlier. Took my time and got a good shot. First rifle kill and first pronghorn. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9401.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	336672

Name:	61860692513__866D9C75-0E99-44CD-BF2A-2C005E89355A.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	336673

Nice work P!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

On the board. Doe pronghorn, 340yds
    Strong work!

Awesome Phall!! Hopefully you’re doing a euro mount on that gal. Horned doe euro mounts are super cool.

I should have. I was trying to just to a skull cap but quickly realized they have funny shaped heads after one big cut with the saw, ended up snapping one the two horns off trying to seperate the plate, so I have both on little squares of skull, not sure what I’m going to do with that yet

Nice shooting on that pronghorn doe!

Two mornings in a row in the 40's, but more importantly there have been some elk bugles. Saw a nice bull with ~14 cow harem. Due to cover, couldn't count the rack tines, but the bull did have two brow tines on each side. Early elk season starts in a week, for those who drew a tag unlike me.

Don’t want to totally highjack this thread but it’s got a couple of weeks until it comes into all its glory.

For a Christmas present this year My brother and I want to take our dad to a lodge next fall for some upland hunting. We’re into bird hunting but it’s been mostly in the Midwest and he’s never done anything like this before. Has to be in the US, probably within a days drive of the Midwest and he’s 65 but gets around pretty well. Price isn’t a barrier but he wouldn’t want to have to get dressed up in tweed and have someone load his gun for him but I do want a nice place that will have really nice lodging and good food in addition to the hunting. Also, don’t want anything in ND, SD, IA or NE since we’ve hinted there before. Anyone have any recommendations? I’ve been through the Orvis Wing-shooting lodges and have a couple below that are leaders in the clubhouse now. Being able to fish is an added bonus.

Brush Creek Lodge- Saratoga, WY
    Deer Creek Lodge- Sebree, KY
    Flying B Ranch- Kamiah, ID

Any thoughts from the esteemed group?

Not terribly familiar with it, but Falcon's Ledge in Altamont, UT is an Orvis-Endorsed Lodge, providing some amazing fishing opportunities, and pheasant hunting.

https://www.falconsledge.com/pheasant-hunting/

Victory Ranch in Park City area also offers fishing and upland:

https://victoryranchutah.com/amenity...-bird-hunting/

Have thought about GA, they come off as either too stuffy or only offer quail. I like the looks of Falcon’s Ledge.

I grew up 45 mins from Kamiah. Beautiful country. Time it right in the fall and you could get into some good big game hunting too. Fishing is excellent but check on the salmon/steelhead situation. Seasons have been shut down occasionally for recovery.

If you're open to something different, the owners of this place are great people. It's driven hunting and I haven't done it but it's intriguing.

http://www.blixtco.com/

Shoulder MRI scheduled, archery season is over. Ski season is now more complicated than before. Getting old sucks big hairy balls.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Shoulder MRI scheduled, archery season is over. Ski season is now more complicated than before. Getting old sucks big hairy balls.
    May seem like sacrilege, but borrow a crossbow with a doctor note and have a buddy help you with aftermath?

If I can't shoot a shotgun I might have to do that.

I live in a weapons restriction zone which means I can shoot 7 deer (6 does) between sept 15 and jan 15 - archery, shotgun or handgun only.

Crossbow isn't considered archery implement here in Montana, and not legal during archery only seasons, with no medical clearance allowed either. But it will fly if I'm in the restriction zone .

Bummer. That’s a legit zone to hunt for freezer filling it sounds like, hope you can get something worked out. Crossbows are odd, regulation wise. I’m happy to allow those with medical needs to use them during archery season but happy they aren’t generally allowed here in UT.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Don’t want to totally highjack this thread but it’s got a couple of weeks until it comes into all its glory.

For a Christmas present this year My brother and I want to take our dad to a lodge next fall for some upland hunting. We’re into bird hunting but it’s been mostly in the Midwest and he’s never done anything like this before. Has to be in the US, probably within a days drive of the Midwest and he’s 65 but gets around pretty well. Price isn’t a barrier but he wouldn’t want to have to get dressed up in tweed and have someone load his gun for him but I do want a nice place that will have really nice lodging and good food in addition to the hunting. Also, don’t want anything in ND, SD, IA or NE since we’ve hinted there before. Anyone have any recommendations? I’ve been through the Orvis Wing-shooting lodges and have a couple below that are leaders in the clubhouse now. Being able to fish is an added bonus.

Brush Creek Lodge- Saratoga, WY
    Deer Creek Lodge- Sebree, KY
    Flying B Ranch- Kamiah, ID

Any thoughts from the esteemed group?

No idea about the bird op, but I hunted mulies in Saratoga, WY and it's a super nice area.

Well, another weekend another success. No pics but I shot a calf elk with the bow yesterday. I wasn’t going to but with a terminal stepdad back east, a new(ish) puppy, and a deer tag I really need to fill(3 year tag in Utah, good for 2 bucks, only shot one and on my last year) I felt good about it and let her have it. I beat myself up pretty good for the rest of the day, but she was all alone. 53 yards, blew through both shoulders and the heart, sevr 1.5 150gr on a pierce platinum at ~475gr going ~270fps, impressed with these broadheads. Buddy shot a tanker spike today. The honey hole produces again.

Name:	IMG_9418.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	743.7 KB 
ID:	337369

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

1. Best tasting meat on the planet.
    2. Its actually more responsible from a conservation standpoint to kill a calf than a breeding cow, so don't feel guilty.
    3. You dress like a douche. And I thought I knew you.