Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Classy
    As fuck!

Pretty good last week of the season, had a couple good hunts. I scouted out a last hunt of the season and had it all lined up. There was about a thousand birds hitting a flooded pasture. I knew it was going to be an afternoon thing. Hunt day came and so did a cold north wind. The pasture never thawed and the birds knew it. Only a couple groups came, I got 1 out of the first group and a double out of the second and then I stared at empty skies for a couple more hours before I said fuck it and called it for the season.

Name:  image0.jpeg
Views: 941
Size:  158.4 KB

There's nothing imo more graceful than a flock of locked up pinnies.

Name:  IMG_5257.JPG
Views: 935
Size:  163.6 KB
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Fall 20/21 Days Afield Thread

I hunt big game but the waterfowl bug has bit me. Is there a good online resource/forum to learn more? Luckily I’ve got a good buddy who has been showing me the ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I hunt big game but the waterfowl bug has bit me. Is there a good online resource/forum to learn more? Luckily I’ve got a good buddy who has been showing me the ropes.

Online forums are pretty jaded and tight lipped these days. Check out duck hunters refuge, duckboats.net has good info. Main thing is finding spots, know the regs, and species id. Also burn fuel scouting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've got an hour long zoom presentation I did for BHA Utah about public land hunting in UT I'd be willing to share, its fairly specific to our WMA's and pubic access.
    A few key takeaways:
    -don't call, a little feeder here and there but nothing more unless you know you are a good caller, and don't listen to competition callers to figure out what ducks like
    -if you live in an area with a variety of species, don't only have mallard decoys
    -motion (not a mojo, unless you're in a lightly pressured area), jerk rig all day.
    -ducks have insane sight, especially on overcast days
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I've got an hour long zoom presentation I did for BHA Utah about public land hunting in UT I'd be willing to share, its fairly specific to our WMA's and pubic access.
    A few key takeaways:
    -don't call, a little feeder here and there but nothing more unless you know you are a good caller, and don't listen to competition callers to figure out what ducks like
    -if you live in an area with a variety of species, don't only have mallard decoys
    -motion (not a mojo, unless you're in a lightly pressured area), jerk rig all day.
    I'd be interested in seeing that.

Sent!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post

youtube
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing that.
    me too

A few key takeaways:
    I think the rules change as the season progresses too. Early season, big spreads, call backs etc. Late season 3-6 mated pairs and few hens, maybe some coots and a teal or widgeon whistle. Lately Ive seen birds dodge decoys and go land in an empty ponds. My buddy left early with his huge spread and hes a good caller, I broke out the wing setter with a dozen decoys and they started coming in. This is all refuge stuff, private land may be different.

Please send me your presentation, I'd love to see it.

Damn that is a massive buck! I thought it was a bull elk at first glance. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    Been a minute since I've been in here. Looks like lotsa folks had some good days a field. Got a nice buck in a trophy unit as well as a few speed goats in eastern MT.

Name:  vmkgdrmqxxc61.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  171.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Online forums are pretty jaded and tight lipped these days. Check out duck hunters refuge, duckboats.net has good info. Main thing is finding spots, know the regs, and species id. Also burn fuel scouting.

Thanks!

A few key takeaways:
    PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    youtube
    thanks, been spending a lot of time wading through the good and the bad.

Sent!
    Got it, thanks man. Definitely learned some things.

Buddy and I shot nine today. Definitely late season behavior and we scratched what we could.

Young Sam came off the IR after having a toenail removed three weeks ago and had some impressive retrieves on sailors into the corn and wetlands. Really stoked on her marking...she's blossomed this year into an above-average retriever.

One or two more duck hunts then a trip to Nevada to close out chukar.

Some people getting killed over some ducks down south. 3 people killed. 2 people straight up murdered in Tennessee and one accidental shooting in a duck blind in NC. Is NCskier still with us?

I don't feel like copying and pasting it's all on the google.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Don't know if this belongs here or not.....California has proposed legislation to ban bear hunting. This doesn't seem to be based on the healthy population of bears, or best game management practices.
    If you oppose you can sign a petition here: http://chng.it/859ywCgxdC

Or contact the bills sponsor, here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...202120220SB252

Thanks zzz, ballot box biology at its finest.

tanning update:
    3 hides tanned and dried, decided to try 3 different softeners:
    Neatsfoot oil, Skidmore's, and Vaquero - just as a side by side comparison. Had good luck with the latter two on my saddles, so I'm excited to see.
    I've used Neatsfoot on Alum tans in the past, but never quite like this.
    Name:  IMG_9655.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  86.7 KB
    Most fun project I'll never do again. 'Til next fall.
    north bound horse.

Looking good!
    In other news (MT Residents don't kill me) MT wants to allocate 60% of nonresident tags into tags that must be used with a guide/outfitter, so that's a bummer. I wrote the legislators on it.

Looking good!
    In other news (MT Residents don't kill me) MT wants to allocate 60% of nonresident tags into tags that must be used with a guide/outfitter, so that's a bummer. I wrote the legislators on it.
    W. T. F. Thanks for the heads up.

Holy shit. That's a fight worth fighting.

Randy newberg and gohunt have the info on IG

Looking good!
    Thanks. I wrote in as well.
    I'm guessing some guide has a brother that is a state legislator?

Haven’t dug into the details, but I’d really like to hunt MT one day

Looking good!
    Yeah, this a giant pile of B.S.