Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on CDLs

I need work. I got this fancy law degree and fancy MBA but haven’t been able to do anything but start my own biz mostly because I hate answering to a douchie suit, applying to like 1000 damn jobs that 1000 other people are applying for and add to that, my grades kinda sucked when I graduated some 12 odd years ago.

My whole working life, basically from 01 to now, CDL seems to have been in huge demand.

Thinking that having a CDL would be sweet because I could basically have a job any time I wanted one and I did always wanna drive an 18 wheeler. Just hate being inside. The fucking boredom just overcomes me and I can’t get shit done. I find it hard to hold myself accountable to myself but anytime I had a boss I excelled at whatever job and the boss liked me. Also I’ve managed less than 50k/yr once I told myself I would stop taking shitty cases from the underpaying overdemanding 80 percent Headache people.

I got no kids, no student loans, guess I’d love to stay in CO but could follow the work. I do have a hefty IRS bill that may or may get knocked down.

What say the collective on plus-minus of having this? Any comments appreciated. Looks like school costs 5k which I can borrow.

I just want a goddamn job I don’t have to take so much work home with me and my time is my time. Like I haven’t had a fucking vacation in 10 years. At least one client calls me every fucking day of so called vacation with a fire that needs to be put out right then (also a result of me not getting shit done in advance like I should.) now I have no clients but, of course, no money.

Thanks in advance!!

Edit to add: I’m 42 so I don’t care if self driving trucks are going to replace the job. Somebody would have to supervise the robot, at least in my lifetime. I think.

Edit to add: yes I know I’d have to stop the ganja and excessive boozing but that won’t kill me. The booze might.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 07-15-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

We’re hiring here at the canal..... easier than trucking, but ya gotta move to upstate.

http://www.canals.ny.gov/about/jobs/index.html

Paging yetiman/IAS.

I don't know shit but I'm pretty sure you don't want to get into truck driving if you want free time and lots of vacation.

Im in CDL school right now. If you can back up a trailer and have decent spacial awareness, it's easy. Dont waste your time if you can't pass a drug test. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my experiences so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I need work. I got this fancy law degree and fancy MBA but haven’t been able to do anything but start my own biz mostly because I hate answering to a douchie suit, applying to like 1000 damn jobs that 1000 other people are applying for and add to that, my grades kinda sucked when I graduated some 12 odd years ago.

My whole working life, basically from 01 to now, CDL seems to have been in huge demand.

Thinking that having a CDL would be sweet because I could basically have a job any time I wanted one and I did always wanna drive an 18 wheeler. Just hate being inside. The fucking boredom just overcomes me and I can’t get shit done. I find it hard to hold myself accountable to myself but anytime I had a boss I excelled at whatever job and the boss liked me. Also I’ve managed less than 50k/yr once I told myself I would stop taking shitty cases from the underpaying overdemanding 80 percent Headache people.

I got no kids, no student loans, guess I’d love to stay in CO but could follow the work. I do have a hefty IRS bill that may or may get knocked down.

What say the collective on plus-minus of having this? Looks like school costs 5k which I can borrow.

I just want a goddamn job I don’t have to take so much work home with me and my time is my time. Like I haven’t had a fucking vacation in 10 years. At least one client calls me every fucking day of so called vacation with a fire that needs to be put out right then (also a result of me not getting shit done in advance like I should.) now I have no clients but, of course, no money.

Thanks in advance!!

You're fucking insane. You'll have to hire a lawyer once you run over somebody after you fall asleep from working 13.75 hours a few days in a row. You''ll be working with a bunch of people who for the most part aren't interesting so you'll have zero friends from work, and you won't be awake enough when other people are to make or keep friends outside of work.

Go to a therapist and get your ADD under control so you can keep your current gig. Once you get a CDL you won't be able to, because, well, you'd lose your CDL with most drugs a doc would prescribe. You'll also have a hard time expanding your skills, because you'll be sleeping so you can go to work where you will learn no marketable skills.

That being said, I've made it work. 4 days a week and I get 204 hours of vacation a year and I have managed to build up a little bit of retirement after 27 years of putting myself out there for the man, until I get fired or laid off, which is a 12 second clip of the rear facing in cab camera away while making a mistake like being out of my lane, a corporate decision to close our facility away, one slip or injury which causes me to miss more than 3 months of work, catching the covids from a maskless customer, or another pandemic forced closure of restaurants.

In my next life I'll get into therapy early and avoid making this horrible life choice.

Also, the no weed thing means you will drink more, which will make you even crazier and less healthy. Ask me how I know.

This is all a bad idea.

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Paging yetiman/IAS.

I don't know shit but I'm pretty sure you don't want to get into truck driving if you want free time and lots of vacation.
    Yeah, it’s a phone call. I can’t peck out enough on the phone.
    I’m going to pm my number.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    You're fucking insane. You'll have to hire a lawyer once you run over somebody after you fall asleep from working 13.75 hours a few days in a row. You''ll be working with a bunch of people who for the most part aren't interesting so you'll have zero friends from work, and you won't be awake enough when other people are to make or keep friends outside of work.

Go to a therapist and get your ADD under control so you can keep your current gig. Once you get a CDL you won't be able to, because, well, you'd lose your CDL with most drugs a doc would prescribe. You'll also have a hard time expanding your skills, because you'll be sleeping so you can go to work where you will learn no marketable skills.

That being said, I've made it work. 4 days a week and I get 204 hours of vacation a year and I have managed to build up a little bit of retirement after 27 years of putting myself out there for the man, until I get fired or laid off, which is a 12 second clip of the rear facing in cab camera away while making a mistake like being out of my lane, a corporate decision to close our facility away, one slip or injury which causes me to miss more than 3 months of work, catching the covids from a maskless customer, or another pandemic forced closure of restaurants.

In my next life I'll get into therapy early and avoid making this horrible life choice.

Also, the no weed thing means you will drink more, which will make you even crazier and less healthy. Ask me how I know.

This is all a bad idea.

You are welcome.
    Yes. Seriously.

The people I know in the trucking industry who make good money and love their jobs are brokers. As an attorney it should be easy for you (scheduling, attn to detail, etc).

Lots of CDL jobs out there you can work local regular hours. Whether there is lots of openings I don’t know.

If your just bridging the gap between covid and getting back into the law, then there are plenty of good cdl jobs that are fairly low impact.

Not OTR stuff but more like driving a bus, big construction or even shuttling clients to and from activities in a tourist town.

I had an active CDL for about 20 years, worked well for me in JH. Still rated Class C and M on the license.

Also, mine did not require any proper schooling. Get the training booklet at DMV. Study. Take 3 major league written tests, road test in a vehicle rated appropriately. Pass/Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    If your just bridging the gap between covid and getting back into the law, then there are plenty of good cdl jobs that are fairly low impact.

Not OTR stuff but more like driving a bus, big construction or even shuttling clients to and from activities in a tourist town.

I had an active CDL for about 20 years, worked well for me in JH. Still rated Class C and M on the license.

Also, mine did not require any proper schooling. Get the training booklet at DMV. Study. Take 3 major league written tests, road test in a vehicle rated appropriately. Pass/Fail.
    Yep. In my industry you can easily get a job in the warehouse picking food and if you have a cdl permit they will help get you on the road and give you the truck to drive and pass the drivers exam. No need to pay 5 large. And the guys busting ass in the warehouse make decent money and get benefits as well.

Also in the age if Covid it is pretty safe. Huge spaces. Might as well be outside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pretty weird times to downgrade to truck driver. Man, with your bona fides and a little bit of salesmanship, you could be a manager of something at a tech firm in Cali for $200K. And with everyone working remotely, it could be kushy.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Pretty weird times to downgrade to truck driver. Man, with your bona fides and a little bit of salesmanship, you could be a manager of something at a tech firm in Cali for $200K. And with everyone working remotely, it could be kushy.
    Definitely this. A law degree and MBA should do you well getting into one of the bigger tech companies. You can get into BD, Sales or deal management. A lot better than driving a truck.

I don’t know much about driving but this sounds logical to me.
    If someone needs to get paid to get outdoors and hit the reset button, drive a truck for xcel energy or a solar company, or CBD, or a small manufacturer or a landscape supply etc etc. small biz maybe he could do a little legal work for them too.
    :the universe needs to find me a job in solar:

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Lots of CDL jobs out there you can work local regular hours. Whether there is lots of openings I don’t know.
    Usually those aren’t driving jobs. They want a laborer with a cdl.

If you’re talking about local, LTL, get ready to work 70 hours a week....and the process of busting your ass doing labor then sitting in a drivers seat, then busting your ass, then sitting...it will fuck up your back if you’re not very careful.

The thing you need to process when you’re thinking about trucking jobs is that the fixed costs of the machinery and the permitting demand the machine be working as much as possible, so the kinds of jobs where you have a life outside of work are relatively rare. Generally the openings in trucking are for jobs where most of your life is spent in the machine.

Also, if you think you’re just going to take some written tests, get in an 18 wheeler, dick around for a bit, and go pass a test you’re drastically underestimating the skills you need to safely operate, and the amount of regulatory information you need to know to be compliant.

Bussing is ok, but depends a huge amount on the quality of the machinery and the nature of the passengers you’re transporting and the quality of the employer. . Good machines, chill people...great job. Shitty machines, scuzzy people...nightmare.

^^^^^
    Christ a'mighty, now my back hurts.

Def not big rigging it. That takes someone who's into that scene. I bet plenty do the schools only to get crushed by the life. I had an Uncle who was a hauler for 35 years outside of Toledo. maybe the funniest, crassest Uncle I had. Dropped the F-bomb when I was about 6 yrs. old.
    RIP Uncle Jim.

Get a job at a resort town as a bus driver. Decent pay, regular schedule, great bennies, and a chill, social job.

^^^^^
    Christ a'mighty, now my back hurts.

Def not big rigging it. That takes someone who's into that scene. I bet plenty do the schools only to get crushed by the life. I had an Uncle who was a hauler for 35 years outside of Toledo. maybe the funniest, crassest Uncle I had. Dropped the F-bomb when I was about 6 yrs. old.
    RIP Uncle Jim.
    Heh, I have an Uncle that's been a career truck driver then brokered for a bit. Sounds like they would have gotten along. I love calling him when I'm travelin' cause he always has a funny story about wherever I'm at.

I’m currently in the process of getting my cdl despite the advice given in this thread...

I was a service industry person who doesn’t do that anymore because of corona. Just so happens my FIL is getting a new truck delivered in a few weeks and wants me to drive it. Local and seasonal. Winters off. The only other employee is my BIL. Soooooo..... it’s a pretty ideal situation if you’re driving a truck.... I gotta believe....

Currently have my permit and am driving it when it makes sense for me to be driving..

I’m going to give it a go..

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Also, if you think you’re just going to take some written tests, get in an 18 wheeler, dick around for a bit, and go pass a test you’re drastically underestimating the skills you need to safely operate, and the amount of regulatory information you need to know to be compliant.
    The OTR truckers I deal with on a weekly basis rank pretty low on the intelligence scale. Constantly lost, cluelessly parked, don’t know what their load is or who it’s for, often hitting shit and causing major property damage. By the characters I deal with I would have thought it was easier than getting a job at Home Depot...

But hey- the OP has a JD and MBA and thinks he should be a truck driver - so maybe he will fit in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I so appreciate all the good advice in this thread!!

Had I acted when I started it, I wouldn’t be just scraping by as I am. I would be so stoked to have a good job right now. Booze has a pretty good hold of me right now and I can kind of muddle through with a trickle of income that’s not going to last. Things like old invoices and, well, at 43, money from my parents.

Damn. I don’t know what I’ll do. I’ll be OK in the end no worries. 3 little birds ya know.

Don’t want any sympathyjust want to give a very late super thanks to the peeps that gave me awesome advice here.

Especially Yeti, who seriously took the time to speak with me on the phone for hours about the idea. but also everybody!!

Fuck. Anyway. Thanks again. Still got no ducking clue. Darn sure couldn’t buy a fucking IKON this year. It was kind of a low point in my life when they went off sale 12/10 and I was like “well, even if I could buy the pass, I can’t really buy gas.”

Well, we’ll get this shit figured out, we’ll deliver the bomb!! I love you all!! Thanks!!

No sympathy needed as I did this shit to myself, as further proof, here’s a pic of the counter right fuck now Monday morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607974329.708260.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	352850

Peace. Love. Irie! Enjoy shredding this season!!!!

^^found my headphones.

Hang in there man. I've been riding the edge lately but keeping my head above water barely. Was able to ski a couple weeks ago and able to keep myself spinning from one project to the next, skiing starts here in earnest next weekend which will help.

Tough time of year with such short days and all the shit sandwiches covid is serving us.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk