Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany

Talking Help choosing first Kayak

Hello
    Hope you are doing well

Neither of us has a kayak before, Recently we shifted our house beside a lake and would love to get out there and paddle.
    I’m not out to win any races, I just don’t want to tip over! I am 5’8” and weighs 160 lbs. My wife is 4’9” and weighs 100 lbs.
    I searched online and got this article
    https://theblackurbantimes.com/kayak-weight-limit/
    I am seeking the attention of experts or any personalized suggestion of yours would be highly appreciated.

Thanks -
    Alex

Most recreational kayaks will be fine for lake paddling. It’s really about how you are using the craft as to which one to get. Touch base with any local paddlers for their input.
    watch out for snakes

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    I will keep that in mind.
    Noted with thanks.

How do you decide what length and size of kayak paddle to use?

How do you decide what length and size of kayak paddle to use?

Paddle size-

Most common for touring boats at your size is 220. A wide recreational boat might work better with a 230.

BTW- Take anything from that article with a grain of salt- There is a picture of a whitewater kayak, and a reference to keeping water out of the scuppers. I don't even know what a scupper is, so I don't worry about getting water in it. And for the record, you don row a kayak. Technically you could, but you would need oars and oar locks. With a paddle, you just paddle.

Welcome to the world of boating. It's fun.

Kayaks are like skis: There is a lot of great stuff out there.
    Are you looking for a tandem? Inflatable? I am guessing that you would rather paddle with your arms than your feet?

Recently, I just bout a tandem "hard" kayak. Initially, I was looking at inflatables, but I decided against that.
    After a lot of research, I went with BKC tandem 12.6 angler that has 8 holes for poles , plenty of storage space and a whopping 750lbs weight capacity. I will use this a lot at Lake Powell for overnight slot excursions.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix