Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I may not have my pulse on the Native American mindset, but I do know that the origin of the word tribe actually applied to different groups in ancient Rome (there were three primary groups, hence the TRI in tribe). So... I think the word is just fine.

Is my finger on the pulse? No.
    But how did it get to be THEIR word? Tribalism is also a social psychology or sociology term. It's also an evolutionary biology term. Now it's the N word? Sheesh.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

And by N word, I obviously mean Scruffy Nerf Herder. Only we can use that word.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I may not have my pulse on the Native American mindset, but I do know that the origin of the word tribe actually applied to different groups in ancient Rome (there were three primary groups, hence the TRI in tribe). So... I think the word is just fine.
    just because a word has origins unrelated to this doesn't mean it can't be problematic in certain uses. There are lots of examples of this (cracker and pig are a couple that come to mind off the top of my head). And again, white people telling POC what should or shouldn't bother them is pretty problematic, IMO. But you seem to feel empowered to know that the word shouldn't bother them, regardless of what they may think. Why?

I am not bothered by "Yeti tribe". I have no idea if Indians are, and have no idea if Yeti made the change because they had info that some Indians were bothered; if so, good for them. Or maybe they made the change out of some proactive desire not to bother anyone, or more pejoratively, out of white guilt. If so, I don't care, doesn't bother me. Why should I care?

Do you know? Why do you care?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Now it's the N word? Sheesh.
    hyperbole much?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Is my finger on the pulse? No.
    But how did it get to be THEIR word? Tribalism is also a social psychology or sociology term. It's also an evolutionary biology term. Now it's the N word? Sheesh.
    I think it became their word because we assigned it to them and they've adapted. That's on us.

In other news, with all the rush by white empathists to rename everything that may be offensive to others, our local government is looking to rename a County owned golf course named Hangman Valley Golf. The background behind the name is that the creek and valley it's located in was named for the hanging of a number of Indians in the 1850's by white cavalry members. Do gooders attempted to rename the area in the 1990's but were stopped by the Washington Board of Geographic Names.

"Seyler, who was a Spokane Tribe board member at the time but does not currently represent the tribe, said the board sent the proposal to the tribal elders to hear their perspective and many were against it, fearing that a name change could erase the event from history. He said those events were not taught in many public schools then, and often are not today."

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ey-golf-cours/

I think a little perspective needs to be exercised by people when they're trying to help others. The first thing they should ask is whether the others want their help. Just like our local Tribes, they not only don't mind being referred to as Indians and Tribes, they prefer it. It's not up to us to tell them what's best for them. They should be consulted for their views as it's their views that matter, not ours. JMHO.

You can still use the word and not offend people, it's just when you apply it to Native Americans it becomes offensive to them.

I don't know why this is but I'll resect their wishes and either way this will never be a problem in my entire life anyways, when do i say 'look a that tribe over there!'

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You can still use the word and not offend people, it's just when you apply it to Native Americans it becomes offensive to them.
    As noted in other posts, this isn't necessarily true. It seems to be more geographic and by individual group.

It's anecdotal, but having grown up in a county bordered by two different Native American reservations, I can say that the word "tribe" has never been raised as an issue. "Tribe" and "Nation" were the words I always used to hear most often, with "Nation" referring more to their territory's political status (within the USA), and "Tribe" referring to the people themselves (especially when they were giving historical talks).

Shoot, even both the Blackfeet and Salish-Kootenai websites use the work "tribe" to describe themselves.

I'm all for discussing racism in terminology, as well as changing obviously-demeaning terms (like the term "Squaw", which was removed from Montana landmarks). But it doesn't seem too productive to go after a word like "tribe" when both it's origin and adaptation to modern-day language/literature go far beyond what it's being accused of.
    Last edited by S_jenks; 07-17-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    But you seem to feel empowered to know that the word shouldn't bother them, regardless of what they may think. Why?
    So if the word "potato" is offensive to me and I feel it's an affront to my Irish heritage, you should stop using it? No, there are certain lines of what's reasonable. Tribe does not just apply to native americans and is used in all kinds of other contexts. And they themselves used it in the exact same way that the Romans did.

FWIW, I asked my friend who is Native American and he responded with an eye roll emoji.

^^ Yeah, again, it seems to be quite variable by various Tribes and Nations. But, while having origins from long before being assigned to the native groups here, it's now viewed by some of those groups as offensive while others have fully adopted it. Yeti caved to 1,000 signatures on a petition. They made a business decision. That's their right but I wouldn't parlay that into saying that all Indians are offended by its use in context outside of their indigenous groups. But I also understand how those Tribes who have adopted it feel its designation to their recognized group is lessened when some company uses the word for commercial purposes.

I can't wait till the day when a bunch of sasquatches come out of hiding and claim that "Yeti" and "Big foot" are derogatory names and all these stupid companies have to change their names. I mean, I wear a size 14 shoe, and I'm kinda offended already.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

I'm all for discussing racism in terminology, as well as changing obviously-demeaning terms (like the term "Squaw", which was removed from Montana landmarks). But it doesn't seem too productive to go after a word like "tribe" when both it's origin and adaptation to modern-day language/literature go far beyond what it's being accused of.
    https://indiancountrytoday.com/archi...kEaxKaUEa6kejg

ever seen this ^^ discussion
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I can't wait till the day when a bunch of sasquatches come out of hiding and claim that "Yeti" and "Big foot" are derogatory names and all these stupid companies have to change their names. I mean, I wear a size 14 shoe, and I'm kinda offended already.
    I would probably call you Hobbit foot

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would probably call you Hobbit foot
    Well, since I'm over 6', and my feet are pretty narrow, and not hairy whatsoever, you would just be wrong.

Buncha old white dudes saying what should or should not be offensive to minorities is what this country needs right now.

So if the word "potato" is offensive to me and I feel it's an affront to my Irish heritage, you should stop using it? No, there are certain lines of what's reasonable. Tribe does not just apply to native americans and is used in all kinds of other contexts. And they themselves used it in the exact same way that the Romans did.

FWIW, I asked my friend who is Native American and he responded with an eye roll emoji.
    Here's a news story I just saw, where a woman was bothered by the usage. Your friend is not the arbiter of what everyone thinks. https://www.facebook.com/mike.grady....1343607077895/ (I think anyone with a FB account can see it)

As far as I understand it, I do not think the word "tribe" is offensive, it's that essentially we forced the word on to them and made them give meaning to it, so now they want to keep that meaning.

As for your potato example, give me a break. To paraphrase something I saw on FB today, funny how people give anyone bothered by this usage grief for being offended while they themselves are offended that those people are offended.

Empathy is not just putting yourself in one’s shoes, it’s accepting their experience for what they say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^ Yeah, again, it seems to be quite variable by various Tribes and Nations. But, while having origins from long before being assigned to the native groups here, it's now viewed by some of those groups as offensive while others have fully adopted it. Yeti caved to 1,000 signatures on a petition. They made a business decision. That's their right but I wouldn't parlay that into saying that all Indians are offended by its use in context outside of their indigenous groups. But I also understand how those Tribes who have adopted it feel its designation to their recognized group is lessened when some company uses the word for commercial purposes.
    exactly this

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Buncha old white dudes saying what should or should not be offensive to minorities is what this country needs right now.
    and this

As for your potato example, give me a break. To paraphrase something I saw on FB today, funny how people give anyone bothered by this usage grief for being offended while they themselves are offended that those people are offended.
    Who said I was offended? I'm just rolling my eyes. Instead of this nonsense, if Yeti really gives a shit about native americans how about they make a donation to one of their causes or attempt to bring light to the awful conditions many of these "tribes" are living in? Like I said, I'm only offended by the transparent and insincere marketing effort.

Is asking your Native American friend if something offensive the same as asking your Black friend is something is offensive? Do you check with them and make sure they know they are speaking for all Native peoples before they answer?

Also re: potato, If you have to go as far to make up a way in which something might be considered offensive to you, maybe just sit this one out

charge a bunch of white guys a lot of money for a bike and try to make them believe they are special

what is insincere about that and the bigger question ... did it work ?

yesturday I was ordering a beer at the craft brew and a person of color asks the bartender for a something darker this time like him

without missing a beat i said " dark beers matter "

Who said I was offended? I'm just rolling my eyes. Instead of this nonsense, if Yeti really gives a shit about native americans how about they make a donation to one of their causes or attempt to bring light to the awful conditions many of these "tribes" are living in? Like I said, I'm only offended by the transparent and insincere marketing effort.
    Maybe it is a transparent marketing effort, maybe it is a sincere desire to not offend, maybe some of both. How do you know which it is? I sure don't. Maybe they make many donations to native causes, do you know that they don't? The lengths at which you go to criticize this action and belittle anyone who might have been offended by their usage of the word speaks volumes. Why do you care that they changed their marketing? It's bothered you enough that you have repeatedly argued against it and argued that nobody else should be offended by their use of the word tribe. Why? Because your one native friend rolled his eyes? Even when presented with the fact that at least some people were bothered by their usage. Yet somehow you know that Yeti's usage wasn't offensive to anybody and that their change was solely marketing and insincere.

To act like you are not bothered at all doesn't really fit with all the things that you have posted.

A bunch of white guys making bikes for rich people using the term "Tribe" is insanely cringe inducing. It's a good move to stop using a word that makes your whole company look like a bunch of dorks.

Maybe it is a transparent marketing effort, maybe it is a sincere desire to not offend, maybe some of both. How do you know which it is? I sure don't. Maybe they make many donations to native causes, do you know that they don't? The lengths at which you go to criticize this action and belittle anyone who might have been offended by their usage of the word speaks volumes. Why do you care that they changed their marketing? It's bothered you enough that you have repeatedly argued against it and argued that nobody else should be offended by their use of the word tribe. Why? Because your one native friend rolled his eyes? Even when presented with the fact that at least some people were bothered by their usage. Yet somehow you know that Yeti's usage wasn't offensive to anybody and that their change was solely marketing and insincere.

To act like you are not bothered at all doesn't really fit with all the things that you have posted.
    Easy man, just killing time on an internet forum. I don't really give a shit. They could have simply changed their marketing plan and shut up about it, instead of the big press release patting themselves on the back. If they wanted to include that they were making some kind of donation, then by all means go for it.

Also, I'm in marketing and I can smell bullshit from a mile away, so just calling it like I see it.