Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I don't think either of them is yet in active service.
    QE should be in some IOC as it part taking exercises at the end of the year with full compliment of F-35s? PoW is some 18 months behind..

But that said, it quite peculiar that major US news outlets (Reuters,CNN,Fox etc) were basically in a total blackout regarding the fire in the first 24 hours?
    Some San Diego Chronicle run some coverage but otherwise, nada. Hell, even now there are nothing in the first few pages of the main news outlets that US have lost a 4billion carrier...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by UnaAllan View Post
    actually didn't understand the whole mess created by the notre dam fire, I mean, there are so many architectural art objects which were just destroyed that it doesn't surprise me, no more
    New poster is bozo.

If you don't get why Notre Dame fire mattered, you need to go spend a bit more time in Paris.

Please list a singular art/architectual object that hails from the 12th century, that has occupied a monumental presence in one of the most dominant world cities over the last 3 centuries, that nearly burned completely to the ground.

You can't because there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    New poster is bozo.

If you don't get why Notre Dame fire mattered, you need to go spend a bit more time in Paris.

Please list a singular art/architectual object that hails from the 12th century, that has occupied a monumental presence in one of the most dominant world cities over the last 3 centuries, that nearly burned completely to the ground.

You can't because there isn't.
    Why you argue with a bot?
    Why?
    Why?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Why you argue with a bot?
    Why?
    Why?
    I miss things pre coffee.

Looks like we just lost a carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    not a carrier but an amphibious assault ship

shitty deal nonetheless.
    Good thing though, as all the carriers are nuclear right? Wtf happens is there’s a nuclear reactor on board that sucker? San Diego finally sees real estate prices drop? Maybe it wouldn’t have burned but for the fuel onboard?

Why is a ship that is being rehabilitated full of fuel? Shouldn’t that be one of the last steps.

I have no answers but many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Why is a ship that is being rehabilitated full of fuel? Shouldn’t that be one of the last steps.
    Ballast. This ship doesn't have a keel- it's flat-bottomed. Also, overhaul was to have been completed in May (clearly one of the rare cases in which a military contract wasn't finished on time), so assuming that they were close to completion, maybe she was refueled in advance of upcoming sea trials.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    But that said, it quite peculiar that major US news outlets (Reuters,CNN,Fox etc) were basically in a total blackout regarding the fire in the first 24 hours?
    Some San Diego Chronicle run some coverage but otherwise, nada. Hell, even now there are nothing in the first few pages of the main news outlets that US have lost a 4billion carrier...
    Does seem weird. I heard about it here, from Viva's post. Not the first time I've gotten big news here first, but still.

It occurs to me that maybe we shouldn't build Navy ships out of styrofoam or whatever it is that ship is made of.

It is built mostly of mild steel plate, 30,000-ish tons worth. LHDs are like 40,000 tons loaded. Interior structures in the fractional inches, hull and main deck in the few inch thick realm.

Battleships had 12 inch thick steel at the belt but we haven't been able to make steel like that for decades, nor is it practical for modern warships.

Lots of paint in there to burn, plus cables and their coatings, jet fuel lines, dry supplies and equipment, etc.

Ship fires are no joke, that thing is fuckered.

Fire watch fucked up on that one.

Shit happens when in the yards. Shame it got away from them.

Shipboard fires are the worst thing for ships and sailors.

Always train.
    watch out for snakes

The new Midway move is streaming on HBO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........