View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    If BB did that and they could somehow also be open for dawn patrols most of the time I’d pay full pop for my season pass

Well dawn is at like 9 am.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

LOL good point

Just signed up to be notified when CAST systems are available again. Gotta do something about my quiver of pivots. Or I might just put some tech binders on the protests I recently acquired.

Remember when you felt healthier after spending time in greasy humid ski hill cafes?
    Remember when you realized that backcountry lodge 'patrons' actually clean up at 3 AM after hydrating themselves on various imbibements?
    Remember that t-bar handle that was sanitized after the last jong rode up with snot infused gloves?
    Remember how the people sharing the Hortsman Hut bench seating diligently kept their safe distance from other patrons?
    Remember how they sanitized the grab railing on the resort ski shuttles after every stop?
    It's memories like that that make me 100% confident we can have a safe and fun ski season.

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

All ski resorts will require single lines-only and a minimal ski length of 210cm to encourage social distancing in the queue. Chairs load at 50% capacity.

Lodge logistics tbd.
    Uno mas

Do you remember that April fools joke about the Alpine club and Alpine meadows going private like an elite country club that seems a bit more plausible now. I bet KSL has calc'd the numbers and assessed the feasibility. Lots of people have examined the increase in wealth gap because of covid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ial-wealth-gap

if you cannot let the unwashed public in why not go private, bump up real estate, reduce lift operations and grooming.

I've bought season passes for me, my son and daughter and just trying to decide whether I should pull the trigger on multi-week lessons for my daughter.

Would normally do at least 5 days in Whistler but not at all confident of the border being opened. I can get a $200 discount on a Mountain Collective pass if I buy in August, that is tempting at the moment, especially as my pass includes 3 days in Big Sky.

Hopefully this isn't shown to be delusional in a few months......

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I've thought about that, but I'm pretty sure odors are not the same thing as respiratory droplets. You can smell wildfire smoke from three states away sometimes, but that doesn't mean the virus can travel that far. But I definitely get what you're saying, and obviously the science on all this isn't nearly settled yet. But in the meantime keep smoking weed because from what I've read it fends off the covid in the lungs.
    Not to mention viral load is important. I doubt riding a chairlift for ten minutes is going to give you teh Covids from a person in front of you. Then again, who knows?

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I ultimately think by the winter, ski resorts and other businesses are going to revert to a "come if you want and you know the risks" type of operation. Everything else is a giant clusterfuck to try and manage, whether it be expectations, liability or whatever.
    I'm tending towards this view as well, at least in my part of the world. Can't speak for ski areas in higher pop'n areas, but the smaller/rural areas seem like it'll end up being an all-or-nothing deal. No way most areas can profitably run a reservation-only system; that only worked for end-of-season operations this year. I think a lot hills are just going to throw their hands in the air, and will claim some special exemption.

4-5 months is still a ways off, and this "caution fatigue" is only gonna grow. Lot of people will be fed up enough by then to be willing to risk it to ski like in normal times.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    4-5 months is still a ways off, and this "caution fatigue" is only gonna grow. Lot of people will be fed up enough by then to be willing to risk it to ski like in normal times.
    you are naive. This is not going to end, we are living in the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darra View Post
    Hopefully this isn't shown to be delusional in a few months......
    Only tits will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I'm tending towards this view as well, at least in my part of the world. Can't speak for ski areas in higher pop'n areas, but the smaller/rural areas seem like it'll end up being an all-or-nothing deal. No way most areas can profitably run a reservation-only system; that only worked for end-of-season operations this year. I think a lot hills are just going to throw their hands in the air, and will claim some special exemption.

It wont be the individual hill's decision to stay open, it will be the state, or governor, who has the final say. ABasin wanted to be the last man standing, but gov put the end to that.

Bunion’s point about seasonal employers should not be glossed over. there are lots of international staff in cleaning, f&b, ski school, etc that may not be allowed to enter the US or may choose not to come.

My guess is that the big boys will figure out the exact minimum requirements for opening (be it days, facilities, etc) so that they can claim that your pass is non-refundable. I mean, just because Xxx mountain wasn’t opened, your pass was good at Yuy ski resort 2000 miles away and you could have used your pass there.

The local ski hills will be more at the whim of government decisions.

I bought the IKON already and am thinking in a positive way that there will be a season this winter. Hoping for one that allows travel out west to hang out with friends and meet some new mags for fun ski adventures.
    That being said, I may wait in the fall to use the pass if it looks likely that the season will get shut down. On the other hand Alterras offer of pro rated rebates will need to be looked at more closely. Vermont is a state that would be quick to pull the shutdown lever which is what I worry about more. If that is what happens lifts would be quick to shut down and slow to reopen. Of course if it reaches that point the lockdown will start again with nothing open except essential businesses. Then comes the shaming of anyone who dares to step outside and ski because of the risk to rescue personnel and hospital workers.
    Lack of employees is a real risk, Sugarbush had 110 workers, mostly from Peru and Costa Rice, last winter and made up the majority of lift attendants. I talked to a couple of managers and they said there was a critical shortage of available workers all season.
    I avoid the lodge on weekends and usually only stop in midweek for some water. Have a friend I join for a beer or two in the pub on occasion, but we can ski home and do that. A lottery system for ski days would be annoying as hell due to missed good days. I can always tour if I miss the lottery but no sneaky upper mountain laps because they are installing RFID gates on all lifts to track everyones day on the hill.

I guess we'll find out in 3 or 4 months.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I assume that ski industry lobbying groups will have a seat at the table when the governor it deliberating opening ski areas. This could be a pretty big factor in whether they reopen in different states. CO's ski industry lobby is a pretty big one. CO Ski Country USA is one of those groups, representing something like 23 ski areas (not including VR). I'm guessing they've been working all summer to figure things out.

The answer to this question lies with the development/distribution timetable of a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I've thought about that, but I'm pretty sure odors are not the same thing as respiratory droplets. You can smell wildfire smoke from three states away sometimes, but that doesn't mean the virus can travel that far. But I definitely get what you're saying, and obviously the science on all this isn't nearly settled yet. But in the meantime keep smoking weed because from what I've read it fends off the covid in the lungs.
    What happens to frozen virus droplets? We have all seen the glass of water that when you toss it up in the air it immediately freezes so what happens to the virus at sub freezing temps? I am sure it freezes but if inhaled does it thaw and remain active?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The answer to this question lies with the development/distribution timetable of a vaccine.
    Problem with that answer, and, I'm not arguing with it, is that it could be years. Don't wanna go there.

Certainly it would be wonderful if an effective vaccine were developed in time to return to "normal" but that is far from guaranteed within a short time frame and may take years or remain elusive.

Like I just heard from a former CDC expert, there is an influenza vaccine, but, influenza still kills.

There is still no vaccine for AIDS.

Or malaria.

My fear right now is that Vail runs their projections and decides they should only open their busiest resorts. So maybe in CO that means Vail/Breck/Keystone but they leave Beaver Creek and Crested Butte closed all year. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Like I just heard from a former CDC expert, there is an influenza vaccine, but, influenza still kills.

There is still no vaccine for AIDS.
    They got close to developing one for SARS/MERS but since those diseases disappeared on their own the vaccine didn't get done. COVID-19 is the same type of virus though so they're using that same technology as a sort of head-start on this one. Much of the work is done, it's all down to testing for effectiveness and safety at this point.

There are something like 38 legitimate contenders for a vaccine being developed, and 3 of those are very far ahead and looking quite promising. Development on mass-producing these has already started, even though most will never make it to the market.

If this can be cured quickly, it will. The world is trying everything it can.

Move upside and let the man go through...