View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    He made his money the old fashioned way. He inherited it. Like the Kennedy boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    In the early sixties, as more vaccines became available, they just lined us up in school and dosed everyone. Although by that time, for most diseases, I had acquired immunity the old fashioned way.
    I remember getting vaccinated at the local high school for a I think it was the swine flu that they thought was going to turn into a pandemic, had to be early 60's. They used the compressed air "Jet" injection system. I was wondering about using that today but from what I could find they had an outbreak of Hepatitis that was traced back to the guns so they stopped using them. Military used them for mass inoculations for years.

And March is when the industry shut down...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I may lean right mostly, but.100% for universal health care in the right form.

Much reform needed in the pharma, insurance, and doctor biz before that can happen though. Im not hopeful

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    The doc biz.....you do realize what a tiny percentage of cost that is to the health care system right? 8 percent. It’s an easy target that is totally absurd. Administration? 34 percent. So you want to punish the people who spent 11 plus years training and accruing debt with no legal right to strike for working conditions, most often get no benefits, retirement or paid vacation and are actually caring for people.

But it’s ok to make 400k a year at an 9-4 job on an office (now poolside) with your 4 year degree. When local hospital system cut pay for decreased revenue from Covid admin was exempt.

End rant

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

There are some messed up things in doc pay.

A bone doc can make $500k plus
    A GP maybe $150k
    ED $350k
    Brain surgery $800k plus

The brain surgeons and cardiologist money makes sense since they need so much training and lost income to get there.
    But the system pays well for procedures. Not so much for consults and diagnoses.

I’m all for universal health care.
    Hillary should not have led that fight. Bill might have succeeded
    Obama didn’t have enough balls to make it happen. Or was paid off by the system.
    saint Biden will never do it. If he doesn’t stroke out before the election.

I doubt the us will do it in my lifetime. But I wish they would.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The doc biz.....you do realize what a tiny percentage of cost that is to the health care system right? 8 percent. It’s an easy target that is totally absurd. Administration? 34 percent. So you want to punish the people who spent 11 plus years training and accruing debt with no legal right to strike for working conditions, most often get no benefits, retirement or paid vacation and are actually caring for people.

But it’s ok to make 400k a year at an 9-4 job on an office (now poolside) with your 4 year degree. When local hospital system cut pay for decreased revenue from Covid admin was exempt.

End rant

To be clear I'd put docs lowest on the list, but there is tons of shenanigans with insurance billing that go on in Drs offices.

Remember the days when you'd go to the hospital, they would treat you, no matter the ailment, and send you ONE bill. Now it's a bill from every single professional involved. There are many who simply get frustrated, or have no time to fight and just pay...even when they might not have to. To me that's a huge problem.

Edit. Remember too when docs and pharma teamed up (pre regulations) and pushed meds for "bonuese". Yeah docs are totally legit all the time always...want to buy a bridge? I got one for sale...cheap, in NYC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    There are some messed up things in doc pay.

A bone doc can make $500k plus
    A GP maybe $150k
    ED $350k
    Brain surgery $800k plus

The brain surgeons and cardiologist money makes sense since they need so much training and lost income to get there.
    But the system pays well for procedures. Not so much for consults and diagnoses.

I’m all for universal health care.
    Hillary should not have led that fight. Bill might have succeeded
    Obama didn’t have enough balls to make it happen. Or was paid off by the system.
    saint Biden will never do it. If he doesn’t stroke out before the election.

I doubt the us will do it in my lifetime. But I wish they would.
    Always remember that every congressman, senator, and, well, President has universal health care for life.

A lot of (not all) the loop holes for shenanigans have been closed.

I’m all for universal health care even though My specialty would take a drastic pay cut. Primary care should be much better paid.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

In recent years, physicians (MDs, DOs) have been screwed more than most. In my opinion, they do good and are under paid. Now, most doctors who had a shingle out, have been bought up by The Man (Intermountain Health, etc.). I'm sure they received a nice check for their practice, but they have given up their freedom for it. However, once they are bought by big entities, and are basically receiving just a bi-weekly pay check, do they enjoyed the benefits of the employed (i.e. benefits, retirement or paid vacation)? They deserve it, for sure.

I guess weed MDs are cleaning up, though.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

End rant

Not to well actually you on this one, but those numbers are probably a bit off.

You may be looking at 34 percent non-revenue producing overhead expenses at your hospital system (maybe? still sounds high to me), but that's not (mostly) the C suite. To get to that number you're mostly talking about janitors, receptionists, accountants, IT, and billing/revenue cycle. Obviously, we can throw most of revenue cycle overboard if we magically go single-payer tomorrow night. But other than that, you're talking about goring somebody's ox.

Doesn't mean the CEO isn't an asshole, though. And having an MD after the CEO's name doesn't change the dynamic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Good point about employees vs biz docs.

Veterinarian has similar problem.

After similar post college training you can make $60k as a vet, working for a corporation.

But if you own a practice, life is good
    . . .

..or you can be a misogynistic congress dick head veterinarian and REALLY make bank. See Bozo Yoho.

Maybe IKON will refund passes and a lottery will appear for tickets? Still remaining upbeat about skiing instead of slipping into negative mode, as that's not a good way to live.

A real lack of anything going on at Alterras newest hill, sugarbush. Lift ops has been finishing grip maintenance they started before teh cove, but that's about it. They canned the grounds crew several years ago and contracted mowing around the lodge out, that is being done regularly. None of the trail mowing has been done yet and way behind schedule. A connector trail above my house that I gravel bike on has trees across it from just after the shutdown this spring, in a normal year this would have wheeler traffic on it and the trees would have been gone in May. On mountain mtb trails have serious unfixed drainage issues and have been left to erode unchecked.

https://www.saminfo.com/the-magazine...n-t-touch-this
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^ huh, yeah hear Whiteface is behind as well. damn.

for the record, and not to interrupt your smooch-fest w mr profane,

but vt freeheel kills it. skiing a ton, great pics this spring.

nordic, xc dick around, resort, bc. all good. learn to ski all.

"let's see how good you really are"

Last edited by byates1; 07-27-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: are you ready to be fucked man?

Always made an effort to meet up and car pool, but it will be driving solo until a vaccine is found. Given my two primary partners work in hospitals seems a given

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Always made an effort to meet up and car pool, but it will be driving solo until a vaccine is found. Given my two primary partners work in hospitals seems a given
    Parking could be the biggest clusterfuck of the 20/21 season

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    yep. already seen it at trailheads, where 3 friends arrive in 3 cars, where it used to be 1.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yep. already seen it at trailheads, where 3 friends arrive in 3 cars, where it used to be 1.
    Ditto. People parking all sorts of crazy to squeeze in.

Went for a bike ride up Century Drive to Bachelor and it was a steady stream of cars with either water toys, (kayaks, SUP, floaties) and tons of mt bikes.

All the trail head parking lots were jammed except for the main Sno-park areas before the Sisters turn off.

I suspect winter will be more of the same, or worse if they decide to close down the Sno-park lots again.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ABasin required 8ft. Between cars in the short re-opening. That is about, what, 40% of capacity? That's not going to go well. Parking was a problem before this.

Perhaps they will have to make a lottery system at some resorts to determine who gets on the slopes that day.
    Divide all users into A/B and allow only one set (families always together) on any given day.
    That would solve the lineups and parking and transit/busing, etc..
    Of course, all determined by economics and that might already cause a decline in passes and guests.
    Perhaps EPIC can let us all know 'nearby resorts' with excess covid capacity and encourage more pass usage within regions.
    It def isn't going to be status quo and boring.

guys - I think you are really missing the point if you think they are going to try to bring in the same number of people but only Park 40% of the vehicles - and if people are going to want to drive individually ,,, That's going to mean another reduction in the number of people ( choose your math. I get 15% - 25% ) ;

If there is a lift-served season ,
    the key is going to be season passes ÷ rationed/lottery visits
    ( I don't believe skier/boarder visits will cover operating expenses.
    we are going to have to accept we get one-in-three (or less) Saturdays. unless there are unused at noon on a TwentyBelowF day )
    If they require spacing in Parking , skier / boarder visits are going to be way down.

Vaccine by November this is all moot.

But I am not expecting to do a lot of lift-served skiing in 2021.

( no Visas - the resorts are going to be understaffed to match the decrease in skiers/boarders )

my Suggestion ( and it ain't popular here, and five years ago(,) I would have seen it differently... ) :
    find and Take a long view - a lost season is Not the end of the world ( and ,,, I lost my trip(s) to Montana this year, too )

... Take a long view : Be glad to ski! When you can - And in the future ! !

Expect to ski! for fifty-five years ( since 1965) and a lost season ain't so bad (!)

Be well -
    ( Please ) Be Safe...

stay sane.

peace. tj

What happens when the non-lift served is over-crowed? Then what!? Asking for a non-skier friend of mine, who hates snow, but is bi-season curious. Thanks.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

^^^ vaccine by November ain’t happening.

50% parking with many singles in each car = very low visit number = resorts suck up the losses and stay open or run a few lifts or close.

Should I just upgrade my heavy BC setup now?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^ vaccine by November ain’t happening.

50% parking with many singles in each car = very low visit number = resorts suck up the losses and stay open or run a few lifts or close.

Should I just upgrade my heavy BC setup now?
    I would. BC gear is going to be as hot as bikes were this summer.

They won't park cars any further apart.
    They might skip a space, every other car. Then when the row is done go back and fill in the gaps.
    I spend about 10 minutes max at my car and rarely close to the next person booting up.

I think getting employees will be the big challenge.

SkiJ is right. If we all took a season off, we'd survive.