View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

I can't imagine we will have easy access to resort skiing in the Wasatch this season with the case numbers here and the government's lack of action.

I'm guessing if resorts are open it will be limited numbers/reservations which I guess plays in to my hand considering I can ski days with less demand.

Gonna be a lonely season for a guy like me that spends lots of days lapping the singles line. In the spirit of optimism, maybe the snow quality will be better with less skiers on the hill?

And if all else fails, I'll have huge legs from all the skinning I'll be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My guess if the resorts cannot make it pencil out for profit or break even then they will likely just close and limit their losses. Given what is happening now this summer, the scientific doubt about the long term effectiveness of a vaccine, and stupid human behavior, I just do not see many resorts really having any meaningful winter time operations.

Maybe some resorts will have avi control and hiking only access for a lower day rate, something like what was proposed at that Colorado BC resort model but running lifts for full operation I doubt it.

Best bet is that you are going to need to get up early if want a parking spot at your local BC trail head. Please no dog shit on the skin track!!

I bought and have email stating if they don’t open it will be used next season. Now if they open and close then what? But really I support my hill cause I’ve had great days there and hope to continue. It may be just tour at resort? I think this is so strange and luxury businesses are hurting and it’s tough. But they are still building homes and mtn bike trails are open.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    It's the only pass I have bought so far. Not even sure what pass to get for 'family' ski days. Unfortunately my wife hates the Basin.....too cold, too windy, too steep, slow lifts....lol. She might just have to suck it up this winter tho!
    Ouch. My wife hates the basin some days too, but I still drag her up there on the nice days. We both get Epics through work so we will ski a few at those. Last season. 5 total days on Epic, and 4 of those were at CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Ouch. My wife hates the basin some days too, but I still drag her up there on the nice days. We both get Epics through work so we will ski a few at those. Last season. 5 total days on Epic, and 4 of those were at CB.
    The Monarch season pass is pretty damn sweet.....comes with 3 days each at ABasin, Copper, Loveland. I feel like the perks alone are worth it and I'm not afraid to drive south either. Could be a good choice for some family days away from Epic.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    The Monarch season pass is pretty damn sweet.....comes with 3 days each at ABasin, Copper, Loveland. I feel like the perks alone are worth it and I'm not afraid to drive south either. Could be a good choice for some family days away from Epic.
    Yeah I used some Monarch days last season. That place is great for a stopover on the way to CB or Taos, which we get days to with the Abasin pass.
    We skied Monarch one day last season and I swear there were 5 other people on the hill. I hope they can pull off an opening. The people that work at that mountain are always so chill and nice. It is one of my “retirement mountains”.

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yeah I used some Monarch days last season. That place is great for a stopover on the way to CB or Taos, which we get days to with the Abasin pass.
    We skied Monarch one day last season and I swear there were 5 other people on the hill. I hope they can pull off an opening. The people that work at that mountain are always so chill and nice. It is one of my “retirement mountains”.
    Agree. Have had some completely empty, 15-20” days there where I could stack tracks over and over in certain spots while feeling like I was all alone there.

I hope the ski areas/resorts that do close will still offer skinning. It sucked last spring when they just shut it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I hope the ski areas/resorts that do close will still offer skinning. It sucked last spring when they just shut it all down.
    This always seem to have liability ramifications. Once the line from trespasser to permissive user is crossed, a higher standard of care comes in to play.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I just bought my season pass. It does have pass protection through the end of December. I’m hoping we will have a quiet season but judging by all the activity here this summer, I am going to say it’s going to be pretty busy.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I have until October to buy a pass and I'll wait that long as the price doesn't go up until then. I hope BS opens or else BB will be even more of a shit show.
    Even if BS opens, there's no way around the fact that Bridger will be a huge shitshow this year, due to all the Bozeman people who will be avoiding the international scene at BS. Can't see any way they don't have to set up a reservation system at Bridger.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Even if BS opens, there's no way around the fact that Bridger will be a huge shitshow this year, due to all the Bozeman people who will be avoiding the international scene at BS. Can't see any way they don't have to set up a reservation system at Bridger.
    International scene?

A ski resort full of people from somewhere other than the US might be a good bet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

A ski resort full of people from somewhere other than the US might be a good bet?
    x10. Good lord, I don't want to be anywhere near another American.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    International scene?

Ha! You're right. "Traveler scene" I guess is what I mean. Destination resort and all that. Just judging on what I've seen in the SW MT thread, a lot of people are skipping BS this year and skiing Bridger.

How do you set up a reservation system? first come first serve? because I bet there will quickly be a secondary market for reservations. think craigslist or burning man ticket sales. Are powder days more valuable? forecast dependent pricing? lottery? How do you decide how many people are safe for the mountain? How do you decide how many people make the mtn safe and not lose a ton of money? Is a ski resort not a business or is it a community asset that should be managed as such and therefore the cost burden would fall to tax payers. Anybody in the industry care to share the potential thought process behind limiting ski resort access to pass holders or day skiers.

I am going to make wild prediction that covid is going to fundamentally change the ski industry in the next 2 to 3 seasons.

No way. Reservations will be that x season pass holders will get allocated for a given day, and Y day passes will be for sale. First come, first served. While there may be a small # of day passes on Craig's List for a very short period of time, I don't see anyone getting rich..
    I think that all of these resorts have been looking at these sorts of questions since March. They have an idea, but have not announced it yet.
    The trick is going to be how to be one of those first come first served 5-6X/wk. I don't think that the resorts will block a season pass holder if he is one of those.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Snowbird updated their season pass guarantee to include prorated pass credit if they are closed 7 or more consecutive days or 30 days total due to COVID.

fair enough. I will bet that as soon as the system is announced some tech bro or bra will write a bot to game system and make money.

PS I doubt Snowbird will not find some way to game that prorate deal if it keeps them from losing tons of $$$

Nobody is coming here to ski, and we aren't going anywhere else. The borders are effectively closed.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    You know how when you're riding up a chairlift and a crew a few chairs ahead are smoking weed. And you can smell the weed for most of your ride up.

Now imagine if respiratory droplets took the place of the weed smell, passing down through the line of chairs. And then imagine if respiratory droplets were coming from everyone on every chair ahead of you. Only you can't smell it.

Makes you think real hard about the upcoming season, doesn't it.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nobody is coming here to ski, and we aren't going anywhere else. The borders are effectively closed.
    "International" was the wrong descriptor, as I indicated above (although in March it was the right descriptor). I'm talking about Americans coming to ski from places with a lot more covid than Montana, such as Texas. That is what's prompting people here to favor skiing at their local hill next season rather than a destination resort like Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    You know how when you're riding up a chairlift and a crew a few chairs ahead are smoking weed. And you can smell the weed for most of your ride up.

Now imagine if respiratory droplets took the place of the weed smell, passing down through the line of chairs. And then imagine if respiratory droplets were coming from everyone on every chair ahead of you. Only you can't smell it.

Makes you think real hard about the upcoming season, doesn't it.
    I've thought about that, but I'm pretty sure odors are not the same thing as respiratory droplets. You can smell wildfire smoke from three states away sometimes, but that doesn't mean the virus can travel that far. But I definitely get what you're saying, and obviously the science on all this isn't nearly settled yet. But in the meantime keep smoking weed because from what I've read it fends off the covid in the lungs.

"International" was the wrong descriptor, as I indicated above (although in March it was the right descriptor). I'm talking about Americans coming to ski from places with a lot more covid than Montana, such as Texas.
    I though texassicans were only allowed to ski in New Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I though texassicans were only allowed to ski in New Mexico?
    And Colorado.

Fully loaded with passes for the family and lessons for the kids. I can get a full refund by Dec 12th if shit is hitting the fan. Giving it a 50/50 chance right now.

Can any ski area survive a season with no sales from all the shit besides passes? Maybe Bridger?

Starting in about 4 weeks a lot of seasonal employees will need to make the difficult decision, "what will I do this winter season".

Is committing to working at X Mountain or Y Ski town worth the gamble?

Can't run a ski area/town without seasonal employees.

Was chatting with another mag about this. His idea, BB remains closed for the season but open to hike. Keep on a skeleton crew to handle A/C .

I kind of like that idea.

Regardless, right now I am not optimistic and have not committed any money anywhere.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"