View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Literally every other car parked at noon on main street in the bozone is out of state plates, and very few are rental cars. Been this way for weeks.
    Same here.

Seeing some lift-served bike parks open is encouraging. Northstar here in Tahoe opened earlier this month and is still going.

Just filled out the A-Basin and Wolfie surveys. WC survey took like 15 minutes, had lots of areas for additional comments regarding the likely reservation system. Also asked about things like food trucks in event restaurants are closed, willingness to pay more over holidays and peak days vs paying less on weekdays, not taking gloves off/blowing nose in lift line, etc.

Meanwhile Ikon sends a generic email, no survey, they don't give a shit, but still hinted at reservation system, 'pass assurance' blah blah.

IMO, we should just discourage out-of-state travel if it gets that bad, tourists be damned. Keep the resorts opened but discourage interstate travel.

Can you post the IKON email or a link to it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Can you post the IKON email or a link to it?
    I just found the email they sent me with the survey on 6/30 "Thanks for purchasing the Ikon Base Pass for the upcoming 2020-2021 winter season. Ikon Pass is interested in learning a little bit about you and your plans to use your pass"

Survey is now closed though. Unable to view the questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    I"am seeing this already in the gear I'am looking for.
    sooo.... hold your FS bc gear until mid december then and sell for 95% MSRP to some dickhole on ebay?

Hopefully I can defer my pass until 21/22 if we have to play games to use an unlimited pass. With the way things are here now, been contemplating the move back to touron only anyway.....

Thanks for those good articles.
    It's interesting to read the differences in tone and substance of the message of Kaplan and Katz. ....Vail
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

It's called Fail for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Seeing some lift-served bike parks open is encouraging. ***** here in Tahoe opened earlier this month and is still going.
    Shh.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Cirque Series cancelled their mountain running events at all ski areas except Snowbird today. They had hoped to do the events at ABasin, Targee, Alta, Brighton, Aleyska but there was too much to pull off with all the CV restrictions. Bad sign if restrictions really limit ski area ops.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Shh.
    lol... well played! Can't spoil the goods!

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Thanks for those good articles.
    It's interesting to read the differences in tone and substance of the message of Kaplan and Katz. ....Vail
    Mike Kaplan’s a really good guy and a skier.
    He wanted to open Highlands for Memorial Day weekend and was totally pissed when Governor Polis did not allow opening till after the weekend.

I’ve got 25 days riding lifts this summer. Skico’s doing a really good job and I don’t think riding lifts will be the problem. I think getting here, could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Mike Kaplan’s a really good guy and a skier.
    He wanted to open Highlands for Memorial Day weekend and was totally pissed when Governor Polis did not allow opening till after the weekend.

I’ve got 25 days riding lifts this summer. Skico’s doing a really good job and I don’t think riding lifts will be the problem. I think getting here, could be.
    Skiing’s the easy part, Karl.

Restaurants, lessons, hotels, alternate indoor activities... not as easy.

Yes, I agree.

Not only that, but finding employees is also going to be a huge challenge. With all of the J-1 Kiwis, Ausies and South Americans out off play, where will these resorts find cheap labor?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Not only that, but finding employees is also going to be a huge challenge. With all of the J-1 Kiwis, Ausies and South Americans out off play, where will these resorts find cheap labor?
    Luckily, the US unemployment rate is at 11%, and the federal help ends today?

No J1’s will hurt some places more than others. Especially resorts on the cheap passes.

But here, I think a lot of restaurant people will work for Skico, part time this winter. Just for the $2k pass, If nothing else.

Except those restaurants and hotels need dish washers, housekeepers and snow shovelers. The lifts need lifties. While locals won't mind being a mountain host or mountain police and maybe even a hostess/server, instructor, patroller or customer relations employee, there are a lot of generally considered shitty jobs that are usually left to J-1s. Even at Ajax, Sun Valley and Deer Valley, there is a need for J-1 workers to do the work that many white American's don't like.

Maybe they should allow migrant farm workers to fill these jobs if there's vacancy. Somehow I'm not seeing Trump signing off on it, though.

Migrant ski farmers. Makes sense!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Migrant ski farmers. Makes sense!
    Hey wait we are onto something here. Get total non skiers to work the chairs etc. That way the lifties early up have no chance of ruining the good pow lines. I'm talking to you Alta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Hey wait we are onto something here. Get total non skiers to work the chairs etc. That way the lifties early up have no chance of ruining the good pow lines.
    Totally, and they might actually pay attention to what's going on as an added bonus!

Also, there will be many young people who are taking a yer off from school. What better way to spend it, other than ski bumming for nuggs and a pass in a place like Aspen, or Breck.