View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I would hope that everyone realizes things are going to be different. You can't just roll up whenever and expect to ski like a normal season. There should be a time cutoff after which your reservation is nullified.
    In theory, yes, but then there's the shit show on the road that can delay someone who has the best of intentions.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    In theory, yes, but then there's the shit show on the road that can delay someone who has the best of intentions.

... Thom
    Then you don't get to ski that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Lord, you're dumb. Or, you just don't ski. I mean, imagine, you know, what we normally think of as paradise. A nice, cold, oh, say, two week period with a lot of snow. A few storms, with frequent showers, day and night. Where the fuck are you going to eat? The lucky people live within driving distance (Denver to Summit/Vail) and own a house/condo with kitchen. Otherwise , how do you do it?
    Come to Heavenly, Benny. Sit down. Eat inside as long as you like. Bars open too. And yeah, on weather days when the mountain is closed they get extremely busy. Nevada is open as usual and by the time ski season rolls around I'm guessing california will be too.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Bunny, bringing the chuckles today.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

TOV is actually buying the tents for the businesses. The only debate currently raging is whether each business should have their own color.

Dining and drinking is way up from last year across the board.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Isn’t Breck going to use yurts outside to dine downtown? Dunno - could be fun for small parties of people who are in heir own “bubbles.”
    There is a restaurant in Breck, Aurum, that is owned and run by a fellow here in Steamboat. He runs the original Aurum here in town, plus a few other restaurants. He's already made a purchase order for the yurts to use in his outdoor spaces in Steamboat as well as in Breck, and the local rags did a writeup last week about it.

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/...ts-for-diners/

I thot running the ski hills were a loss leader so they could make the money in the bar ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

All of a sudden bartending isn't the coveted resort gig.

Imagine fighting traffic, and I-70 closures from 6:00AM until Noon, then getting lunch, parking, hoping on the bus, then get to the lift by 1:30PM only to roll-up to the lift and find out your EPIC Reservation™ has been withdrawn........

I wouldn't get on that bus.

Parking is the undiscussed issue, at least at my home mountain, JHMR. There hasn't been adequate parking for years, they've just gotten away with it because the community has subsidized parking with bus service, but nobody is going to want to ride the bus this year. I think its going to be a total shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Parking is the undiscussed issue, at least at my home mountain, JHMR. There hasn't been adequate parking for years, they've just gotten away with it because the community has subsidized parking with bus service, but nobody is going to want to ride the bus this year. I think its going to be a total shit show.
    Exactly. I've stated this in other posts. Parking can be basically the same as it ever was, but what happens if a resort relies on buses for mass transportation?

Speaking as someone who has been through a few airports this summer, I'll say that if local Public Health officials treat local mass transit the same as airports, then these resort towns will probably be alright.
    Busses will need to require masks, and probably won't fill up so it is entirely standing room only. It'll be a pain in the ass to see a bus go by that isn't packed, but better than nothing.

I was thinking that Snow King was doomed this year, but they just might end up having the biggest day skier numbers ever...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think Bunion made a very good point point earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    *snip*
    I don't think any of us can predict how the average destination skier or traveler will behave this winter.

They could all stay home. OTOH they and everyone else could just say, let it go, Covid is here, ifya die? Tough shit, the odds were in your favor, sort of. Fuckit Dude, lets go skiing.

Seeing more and more of that.,"I am so tired of this!!!!, when will it be over?
    The caution fatigue is real. And we still have multiple months to go before any measurable amount of snowfall drops on the hill. There is a good chance that corporate-owned ski areas are going to be the most fucked with following social distancing guidelines. They will try, but like school district re-opening, the masses will see to it that any attempt fails in vain. All it takes in one fuckstick to test positive. Could be an employee, but it could also be a jerry-ass motherfucker that points

Mom-and-pop resorts probably stand the best chance IMO, since they are more likely to avoid scrutiny from the public.

Jax from the Vail reservations thread also made a very valid point

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    *snip*

Buy your updated touring setup now, folks.
    I'm getting ready to swarm the local shops as soon as their September switch-over happens. I need to update my setup, and it's high time the lady gets a chance to experience the BC as well. Methinks this year's birthday present for the GF is going to be a welcome surprise. She certainly is nervous about this coming season. Best to hedge your bets now.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Lord, you're dumb. Or, you just don't ski. I mean, imagine, you know, what we normally think of as paradise. A nice, cold, oh, say, two week period with a lot of snow. A few storms, with frequent showers, day and night. Where the fuck are you going to eat? The lucky people live within driving distance (Denver to Summit/Vail) and own a house/condo with kitchen. Otherwise , how do you do it?
    step 1 put on ski boots
    step 2 click into binders
    step 3 go ski
    figure out the rest of the minor things after
    or plan better in your next life as a cool kid who skis
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

In Jh: This town is jamming right now, almost as busy as ever. The ski area is already humming with foodstuffs and recreation.
    The idea that there will be zilch going on if you can't ski that day is just ignorant. Snowmobile companies will have a banner season, I bet.
    Town square restaurants are busy, busy, busy now.
    How jhmr approaches this is still up in the air, but it sure won't be a stroke of genius.

I don't expect this to be a record setting season for visitation.
    And so parking will only be off the ranch lot on big holidays, etc.; most days there's enough slots.
    Also, the bus pass flap has been resolved and now passholders resume getting all free bus rides.

Yup, Snow King is gonna get busy, and the load test on them will be real.
    That'll be the new angst creator.
    Having to downshift to the slow as fuck exhibition chair will crush many peeps.
    A busy day on the King can get sketchy and locals are more territorial there than at the Village.

JFC, hard sayin' what the most coveted ski area job is nowadays. It won't be any lifty position. That one bites at jhmr on it's best day.
    Prolly the marketing questioner.

Sounds like being a yurt builder is where it's at for a bit. I like yurts. but not yogurts.

I plan on sticking to my usual plan of getting to the villy early, get first trax, take laps until crowds or conditions get too bad. Split.

SSDD. Hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Imagine fighting traffic, and I-70 closures from 6:00AM until Noon, then getting lunch, parking, hoping on the bus, then get to the lift by 1:30PM only to roll-up to the lift and find out your EPIC Reservation™ has been withdrawn........
    Imagine driving (because you fear the COVID and won't fly) for 3 days from the Tri-state area to go ski for a week at an Epic resort in CO our UT. Check into hotel at 1am, get up at 7am, eat breakfast and head to the lift and find that your lift reservation can't be found.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm going to take every Wednesday between January 6 and April 7 off, in hopes of getting some quiet midweek days in.

So far it's all western talk, and the big mountains of the East haven't said jack. Well, Stowe is Vail, so they'll be subject to that. Have to, the past few years have brought epic shitshow traffic Saturdays on the access road. Killington is going to have to swallow hard and fall in line, with a brand new base lodge nobody can use. And the east will have big issues. The Sunday traffic heading south to New York and Jersey burbs has been heavy lately. Day trippers. Nobody is flying to Europe or pretty much anywhere. Probably everyone is thinking car travel this winter.
    Two things to watch. How this chaotic school opening turns out, K to University, and fall foliage touron season. Vermont has been good for months, but, they could spike before the snow. Betcha nobody makes much snow, though. That would be like burning money if things go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Imagine driving (because you fear the COVID and won't fly) for 3 days from the Tri-state area to go ski for a week at an Epic resort in CO our UT. Check into hotel at 1am, get up at 7am, eat breakfast and head to the lift and find that your lift reservation can't be found.
    Ha! And then you start to feel cover sick ......

Actually, it would probably be a good thing to rest up on that first day given that brutal drive and 1 AM arrival; chances of careless/sloppy skiing duet exhaustion causing life threatening crash and all.

Just as a point of reference, STRs are booking like crazy right now in the ski towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Just as a point of reference, STRs are booking like crazy right now in the ski towns.
    "Daddy, can we go shopping and to a bar after since we didnt win the lottery for a ticket today? Cough cough, I dont feel too good, daddy."

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    The caution fatigue is real.
    Just spoke with my sister, in the beginning she was all about stay home & SD.

Asked if I would mind if she and Bro-in-law fly out for X-mas.

I told her, hell yes I would mind. Lets see how the next 3 months go.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

"Unlock the best experience." FFS, who writes that shit?