View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    This kind of rationale is stunning to me, as I believe it does not show an understanding of history nor the disease process --

measles and polio, maybe --
    I do not believe HIV is a good comparison --

Even the seasonal flu strains die out from host exhaustion.
    Measles has mainly died out due to improvements in overall population health.
    Some people even become immune through routine low-level exposure.

However, everyone needs to remember that although everyone can be a super-spreader, or host, or spreader or die ...
    there is in fact a finite number of people in the optimal positions for virus transfer in a population.

As shown by the number of seniors in senior homes infected by ...
    cross hospital/nursing-home staff, once they develop immunity, or take precautions,
    that common route is eliminated.

Look at the arteries and vessels and capillaries in the human body and how it is interconnected.
    But only certain routes are viable to certain organs and regions. Or think of it as a directed acyclic graph were each person is a node and can make 1+ connections to infect, but not all nodes will reach other nodes.

After the ticket clerk wears a mask, the bank teller wears a mask, the people in a factory in close proximity implement measures, the travelling business person takes measures, then you won't see more spread.

Sure, you will have the person that attends a party and spreads it to 100 people ... and there is no cure for that except that even then people are now getting the message finally that masks and distance and less congregation will eliminate those routes too.

There are only a finite number of hosts that are in optimal positions within the population to continue the spread.
    Then there is the fact that the seasonal flu and colds might actually edge it out as well.

All I'm saying is, this kind of rationale should not be stunning to you or anyone else.

There are counties that have fared very well and continue to (Taiwan for example). They have simply exercised common sense.
    If the billions being thrown at pharma for covid were spent on common-sense advertising and awareness campaigns, this thing would already be through.

^ Is that some kind of Canadian iambic pentameter?

Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

puregravity - presented this way, your points are not unreasonable - Except, we have not eradicated Influenza, the virus evolves, and every year, tens of thousands of people die --

my virology is ancient - but I believe we need to be doing better than this --

will corona- mutate and become another annual killer ? I don't know - but
    I do believe we have the Science to have more and better choices than 'let it run it's course' ( which you did Not say.

you did say, ' we don't need a vaccine ( we need people to follow health advisories ) '

where I come from, people are determined to be defiant of health advisories ( as is their elected leader ) -

so. IF the chance of 'b' is zero , do you still not want an option of a vaccine ?

I apologize : I could have offered my perspective without 'lighting you up' .

still, to disclaim vaccine because of an ideal that 30% of Americans will defy...

anyway. I see your idea more - and I apologize. but I live in a non-compliant (society) ...

I respect and I admire your ideal.

thanks - tj

Okay, all this talk of virology and crap is all very interesting. But is the damn ski season over or not!?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Thanks for posting. I feel, based on human nature (Americans), and just what we've all seen with people NOT social distancing and/or wearing masks, that they will want to get out and ski this winter, no matter what. Same for getting on a plane or cruise ship. It's the, "it can't possibly happen to me." crowd.
    Add alcohol and drugs, on mountain, to the volital mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I think people will forget their E
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Sure.
    Like Polio, measles, and Aids?

Relying on herd immunity only will have collateral damage of millions upon millions of deaths...
    And permanent damage to the body for billions.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Yeah but look at right now - there's no real 'goal' for us to aspire to.

Imagine a viable vaccine is good to go in October though. Now they can say "hey it'll take us x months to roll this out to everyone and here's how we will do it" and then bam - we all have a collective target. Just gotta wear this stupid mask and put off life for little bit longer....

It would do wonders for people's resolve and really help slow things down, IMO. Right now things seem a little hopeless.

News update: Canadian govt. rolled out COVID contact tracing app today. Uses bluetooth to track others you come near, and if you get a positive test you enter a code and it alerts those you've come in to contact with they may have been exposed. Apparently it's open-sourced and doesnt' use GPS so it's all good with the privacy thing. We'll see how many of us get on board. I'm betting 70+% in Canada.
    You know, you never know the shit that will go down until you see it happen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-15536544

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    puregravity - presented this way, your points are not unreasonable - Except, we have not eradicated Influenza, the virus evolves, and every year, tens of thousands of people die --

my virology is ancient - but I believe we need to be doing better than this --

will corona- mutate and become another annual killer ? I don't know - but
    I do believe we have the Science to have more and better choices than 'let it run it's course' ( which you did Not say.

you did say, ' we don't need a vaccine ( we need people to follow health advisories ) '

where I come from, people are determined to be defiant of health advisories ( as is their elected leader ) -

so. IF the chance of 'b' is zero , do you still not want an option of a vaccine ?

I apologize : I could have offered my perspective without 'lighting you up' .

still, to disclaim vaccine because of an ideal that 30% of Americans will defy...

anyway. I see your idea more - and I apologize. but I live in a non-compliant (society) ...

I respect and I admire your ideal.

thanks - tj
    Hey no lighting here. all good. And your point stands. I don't really mean 'we don't need a vaccine'. Given the effects of 5G on people already, they have lost too many brain cells to follow good advice or simply exercise common sense. So yes, I concede, we do need a vaccine. Oh God, please, we need one soon.

Well, out here in Western America, land of the protester, home of the pot smoker; there will be drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. But does a weed equal drugs?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity
    All I'm saying is, this kind of rationale should not be stunning to you or anyone else.
    Not gonna lie....little stunned over here.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity
    There are counties that have fared very well and continue to (Taiwan for example). They have simply exercised common sense.
    Ah, good ol’ Taiwan County, where common sense reigns and all the bikes are reasonably-priced.

Okay, all this talk of virology and crap is all very interesting. But is the damn ski season over or not!?
    FKNA. I read back about a page to catch up and by the time I got here, I was ready to redirect.

I was thinking about the mtn. employee dilemma.

At JHMR, my home hill, almost no one who really lives here, works for the ski company. Certainly some, maybe 15-25%, but fairly dispersed in winter when they hire hundreds more workers. These are about 30% americans out for a season, retirees, kids, bums, and all the rest/45% are J1's and whatever.

For any variety of reasons, it does not behoove the local to work under the man's thumb at the vill. Better to pay the monies, Lebowski and run the gauntlet.

Maybe this year, they should invest in a purely local group of lift operators. People seriously motivated to:
    A. Stay virus free and enforce it within reason on skiers.
    B. Get the slopes open under safe conditions.
    To get locals to buy into this, the mgmnt. needs to pay a good wage. One can make $20 bucks an hour here mowing lawns, painting or landscaping as a first day walk-on.
    They should be able to pay a tight crew of health oriented locals that as a minimum and 5-10$ more for some of the highly skilled peeps who might come out of the woodwork for some 8 am pow runs to the lift shack.
    The abundance of good paying low skill jobs here has made working at the vill less likely. They need to be payers, to become Players.

Our chairlifts are all quads but one. Spacing should be your group as you see fit, up to 3 or 4.
    Twosomes should sit outsides unless friends, etc.
    Only 1 per chair on our lone double. Unless friends, family...
    We have a coupla 8 person gondys. They will likely require groups of 4 max unless friends, fam. Encouraging grouping before getting in line or it will be a clusterfuck at the front of the lines in short order.

My $2 bet says no public tram. Maybe sell some early ups to a few of the rich so they can ski the bowl as soon as the mtn. opens, then be at a chair going up Thunder or Sublette before the first public unloads. Fuckers.
    But I'd take it.
    I'll be lapping them soon any howz.

Another ponderance, what about the weeds? If your gonna smoke, you better bring your own and your own utensil as well. I'll not be sharing my bowl this season. I'd prolly load ya one, or kick you a nug. But no puffpuff on my glass.

But I will uncover you from an avy and breathe for you if I gotta. You might come back to consciousness feeling kinda stony though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CS Mentioned old locals at Grand Targhee. They had a cowboy there for many years named Slim Weston. You could not help but love that guy. A big ole smile on his weathered, humble face made you realize how good life was.
    Here's to you, Slim.

Although it's summer in JH, highs in the mid 80's, it's still in the high 40's overnight.
    It's gonna be a snowy winter, somewhere.

It's the long term effects I worry about, you know, the effects we don't know about because theirs zero info on long term effects, because, well, it's only been a few months of R&D and testing. But I will say a big thank you to all the volunteers stepping up to the plate to be rhesus monkey's and take one for the team. (zero sarcasm intended.)
    Boom

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Good to get back on track. This is about whether or not we will be skiing this winter. You want Virology? The PR is the place to be, see Rat Flu or whatever its called now.

Some rebuttal to Djongo.

People are fucking liars. Those families going up on the Gondis became related in the liftline.

Right now there are so many variables its easy to say, "well, they should do this." Probably 100 scenarios no one has thought of.

I love skiing, I question whether or not it is so important that you open up thousands of people to a risk they may not fully understand.

And then there is the economy. No telling what things will be like in 5 months.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

yeah (yes) - I apologize for contributing to the thread drift...

I had to step away from from the padded room a while back - Just way too discouraging to me...

Dj , I love your schizz, Man ! !!
    I hope you can get over to KC and take an E-assist lap with BigLost ! ( who might be Gone driving Fire trucks for two weeks prettySoon... )

Ski Season : my take - modified, qualified, go - until / unless people start dying in numbers again -

it won't be the same :
    expect a lottery ;
    bars - dicey ; food service - also dicey...
    Rental and ski school - others know better than I ;

the visa J1 impact is going to be very significant ;
    I expect the resorts will Have to pay more - and have many less staff.

and If people start dying, it could all go away.

I believe there will be skiing --
    it will be very different --
    it could go away overnight
    ( Not likely, but possible -- be prepared )

Be well -
    ( Please) Be Safe...

peace. skiJ

Slim Weston.

Forgot his name. But what an awesome human being. Super positive happy energy. Died 6 years ago. RIP

Weston’s employment with Grand Targhee dates back to “day one,” Rider said, when the ski area opened in 1969.
    . . .

may have already been touched on but expanded hours of operation could help alleviate the inevitable onslaught of people. with all of the opex freed up from lodge clusterfucks they could invest in better shift rotations for patrollers. in fact, they are going to need deep rosters of patrollers as they inevitably go down to covid town.

taco trucks in lot and 8-5 skiing (sorry VT, pretty sure sunset is at 4pm) and I could be enjoying three meals a day at the resort.

now all I need are more signatures for my Snowbasin North Secession Plan and things could actually work out this winter.
    bumps are for poor people

I'm guessing there's some serious computer programming going on for the ski hills. As in reservation set ups, and tracking those season passes. The who, and when part mostly. Who's on the mountain, and when are they on the mtn. You get your reservation to ski oh nine hundred, on Saturday. Then you wait maybe a week before you can make another reservation. Who knows. Some retired folks that only ski mid-week might not notice much change other than only 2 on a quad, maybe 3 on a six pack?

I'm sure there's a lot of game theory going on right now. But it will be a pisser if the ski resorts don't open and severely restrict uphill access or deny it all together. Which I can see happening on Fed Gov't lease hills like we have here in Bend.

We're witnessing big issues with school opening right now. Already staff is sick in early August. Wait for September for the shit in fan moments, if they happen, which it seems they probably will. So, if that's the case, do you think communities really want to create major vector points for this pandemic by opening ski hills, again? Like, small towns in Colorado are going to tolerate Texan AirBnB party houses down the street, because their hill decided to roll the dice? That's where the virus will spread, not two to a quad.

Maybe. I doubt it. We'll see.

^^^what staff is already sick?

Skiing with a buff or neck gaiter can sometimes be a bit of a conundrum trying to get it dialed so no fogging actions happen. At least for the clucks; gonna be one more point of contention.

People ARE liars, I agree. They are frequently dumber than a box of rocks as well.

But some can do it right without one iota of direction, and many with just a little nudge, nudge.
    Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Is she a goer?

You don’t need to ski with a mask, just ride the lifts with it. Which is how I roll most of the time anyway. Unless it’s really cold or deep.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^what staff is already sick?
    This Superintendent has a death already from Zoom teaching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...uperintendent/

Have you read about that summer camp in Georgia? Do you really think we can have millions of kids inside buildings eight hours a day and not see vast sickness and death spread? Don't even start with universities. Then you have alcohol, drugs, and sex to alter judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You don’t need to ski with a mask, just ride the lifts with it. Which is how I roll most of the time anyway. Unless it’s really cold or deep.
    Some one needs to design an N95 ski snorkel. I’m busy, otherwise I would do it.

This Superintendent has a death already from Zoom teaching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...uperintendent/

Have you read about that summer camp in Georgia? Do you really think we can have millions of kids inside buildings eight hours a day and not see vast sickness and death spread? Don't even start with universities. Then you have alcohol, drugs, and sex to alter judgements.
    No, I don’t. I hadn’t heard about the superintendent in AZ.

Looks like more trouble in Georgia already...one school district with 250 ppl exposed.