View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1306
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifty@50 View Post
    I just checked with my wife who has a BA in English and Romance Languages from Harvard ‘94, Dudley House, and she said that either use is acceptable in how it’s used in my sentence structure. She’s much smarter than me. I just have a JD from Villanova ‘88. I thought this is a ski forum and not some kind of online tutorial in English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your wife is wrong. "Effect," when not used as a noun, implies intent to make something happen. You can "effect changes" or "effect a solution." That's pretty much it.

On the other hand, I can't remember if it was Jesus or Buddha who taught us that, "He who corrects grammar on web forums is a cunt who needs to punch himself in the dick." It's a bit confusing, but gospel is gospel.

Back to skiing...

I've no doubt jinxed us. An Ikon pass, two pair of new skis, and a pair of binders will surely end our season early. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Your wife is wrong. "Effect," when not used as a noun, implies intent to make something happen. You can "effect changes" or "effect a solution." That's pretty much it.

On the other hand, I can't remember if it was Jesus or Buddha who taught us that, "He who corrects grammar on web forums is a cunt who needs to punch himself in the dick." It's a bit confusing, but gospel is gospel.
    All good here... thx for the clarification. I’ll ask my wife about your citation. She has a minor in Eastern Religions. Lol

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

After numerous comments interpreting my incorrect grammatical use of Effect vs. Affect, I’d like to get back on topic and say that I believe it is highly unlikely that the State of Wyoming is going to shut down their tourism industry this winter because of COVID. The economic impact will be far worse than the very unfortunate health impact on the State. All it takes to reduce the risk is to wear a mask and social distance. Stay in your Yurt if you don’t have to leave for a good reason. And hold your breath for the full 9 minute ride on the Tram.

St. Joe’s?

Nope. Begins with an H and ends with a d, like Harvard but different.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Howard
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

After numerous comments interpreting my incorrect grammatical use of Effect vs. Affect, I’d like to get back on topic and say that I believe it is highly unlikely that the State of Wyoming is going to shut down their tourism industry this winter because of COVID. The economic impact will be far worse than the very unfortunate health impact on the State. All it takes to reduce the risk is to wear a mask and social distance. Stay in your Yurt if you don’t have to leave for a good reason. And hold your breath for the full 9 minute ride on the Tram.

The state of Wyoming can live without winter tourism, which is 30% of summer.
    And the tram ain't happening.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 10-15-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The state of Wyoming can live without winter tourism, which is 30% of summer.
    And the team ain't happening.
    And who is going to support the local JH and Driggs residents who rely almost solely on the local service industries? Last I checked, the largest employer in the Valley is JHMR and the spinoff hospitality industry. Not everybody in the Jackson is living on family money. In fact, very few are.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Haverford...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It’s been twenty years since I’ve been on the Main Line. A understand that Kelly’s has become a Tapas and Wine bar...

And who is going to support the local JH and Driggs residents who rely almost solely on the local service industries? Last I checked, the largest employer in the Valley is JHMR and the spinoff hospitality industry. Not everybody in the Jackson is living on family money. In fact, very few are.

Nobody but the federal government, and that ain't happening. Good luck. Its rough in the real world, too.

Nobody but the federal government, and that ain't happening. Good luck. Its rough in the real world, too.
    I have a home in Victor and have no connection to the local Jackson economy. I made my money in the East. We do most of our skiing in Teton Pass, so whether the resorts open or not doesn’t effect me. But since my family moved to JH in 1971, I know many families that have been economically harmed. You obviously are not from the Valley and wouldn’t know.

I'm going to say you are full of shit, if only because you say you ski "in" Teton Pass.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm going to say you are full of shit, if only because you say you ski "in" Teton Pass.
    on the IF news they used to have Teton pass listed as Jackson pass
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I get my morning bagel at Pearl Street and head for Glory. And ski ON the pass. You happy? I’m sure I have many more miles on a skin track than you. Maybe because I’ve been doing it for 30+ years.

so whether the resorts open or not doesn’t effect me.
    Lol you sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Lol you sure about that?
    I started skiing at the Village in the early ‘80s when the Hostel was the only accommodation. I quit skiing there when the Four Seasons went in. It’s all gone down hill since then. I don’t ski at Vail or Deer Valley either. I will occasionally ski at Targhee if they get a storm. We usually make a few laps ON the Pass when the conditions are safe. I do ski uphill at Snow King for exercise.

So’d you guys all go to dental school after law school?

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    So’d you guys all go to dental school after law school?
    Come again??

^^Wow, you haven't skied the village in 17 years...

Plenty of lodging in the village in the 80's besides the Wilson's.

Crystal Springs lodge/7 Levels Inn, Alpenhof Lodge, and The Sojourner come to mind.

Tram doesn't get to the top in 9, wish it did. They run it at less than max rpms 98% of the time. It's set up to go faster between towers then slow for the roll over on the tower, but they never do that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skiing in JH is gonna be good this winter. Better than the last two seasons fo sho.
    We're not gonna shut down, be busy or low tide.

This thread is bizarre and hilarious at the same time. Well done!
    Oh yeah, nobody skis “on” or “in” Teton Pass, always just, “The pass”....

I have a home in Victor and have no connection to the local Jackson economy.
    That's a funny thing you just typed. As though present day Victor would exist if it wasn't for the Jackson economy.

That's a funny thing you just typed. As though present day Victor would exist if it wasn't for the Jackson economy.
    Guaranteed he’s consulting the wife on that...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You guys are having such a good time jerking each other off. Who eats the cracker, Benny? See ya On The Pass. I’ll be old guy digging your asses out. It’s the Dentist and the Lawyer that keep you guys living in your trailer parks. See ya!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Maybe I’ll tip you when you clean may table this winter.