View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    They got close to developing one for SARS/MERS but since those diseases disappeared on their own the vaccine didn't get done. COVID-19 is the same type of virus though so they're using that same technology as a sort of head-start on this one. Much of the work is done, it's all down to testing for effectiveness and safety at this point.

There are something like 38 legitimate contenders for a vaccine being developed, and 3 of those are very far ahead and looking quite promising. Development on mass-producing these has already started, even though most will never make it to the market.

If this can be cured quickly, it will. The world is trying everything it can.
    Sorry, but, these are the notorious international drug companies we're talking about, not exactly known for their concern for the sick and poor over obscene profits. That's been pretty well documented over the last decade and more. Now that we have, essentially, an international bidding war for a vaccine led by the United States which is backed by an infinite amount of cash they can print with the tap of a computer key, then, of course, everyone is going to jump into that pool and say that they're developing a vaccine, and watch the R&D bank accounts grow. Why not? And to the winner goes probably trillions of spoils.

Some new studies are showing that humans are losing the antibodies within months after contracting and recovering from Covid. I am no doctor but it is my understanding that vaccines work by injecting you with small doses that revs your body's antibody machine up making you less susceptible to contracting the virus. If antibodies for this virus are not long lived, then one and done may not possible. Will this mean you will need vaccine doses several times a year or that you would need a long course of the vaccine to ensure long term immunization?

I doubt anybody knows at this time. I believe this is going to be around and significantly impacting life for at least 2-3 years and it will not be a vaccine that solves/manages the pandemic, it will be that treatments and tests will become way more effective and routine. At risk people will still die at higher percentages then the common flu though and there is likely to be long-term health effects in others.

I think the model where the ski area opens at your own risk is most likely but once hot spots emerge in ski towns, resorts will close and everyone's lift assisted skiing experience will be significantly different for a long time.

I for one look forward to the development of the eclimber ski system. This will be a robotic carbon exoskeleton that will allow the wearer to effortlessly break trail and climb up to 15,000 vertical feet in day while being assisted by a series of small hydraulic pistons run by a small hydrogen fuel cell you carry in your day pack. It should make lifts a thing of the past. I hear Dynafit, Salmon, and K2 are in the early stages of development.

2021 Mummers parade in Philly was just cancelled. The writing is on the wall...

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

That could eventually be the right call....but it is kinda ridiculous to cancel something in f’in January......that just kills any hope people have for getting their lives back to normal.......we do need some “hope” so we don’t all go crazy/into depression.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    That could eventually be the right call....but it is kinda ridiculous to cancel something in f’in January......that just kills any hope people have for getting their lives back to normal.......we do need some “hope” so we don’t all go crazy/into depression.
    If there's even an atom of your being that things things will be "normal" by January, you're delusional. Maybe January, 2024.

It’s needed for planning purposes and to show people that this isn’t going away anytime soon. People need to see the reality of the situation and do the best they can to stop the spread.

Burton cancelled a March 2021 competition two months ago.

Remember when schools were closed for 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If there's even an atom of your being that things things will be "normal" by January, you're delusional. Maybe January, 2024.
    Ok..thanks, that helped....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Some new studies are showing that humans are losing the antibodies within months after contracting and recovering from Covid. I am no doctor but it is my understanding that vaccines work by injecting you with small doses that revs your body's antibody machine up making you less susceptible to contracting the virus. If antibodies for this virus are not long lived, then one and done may not possible. Will this mean you will need vaccine doses several times a year or that you would need a long course of the vaccine to ensure long term immunization?

I doubt anybody knows at this time. I believe this is going to be around and significantly impacting life for at least 2-3 years and it will not be a vaccine that solves/manages the pandemic, it will be that treatments and tests will become way more effective and routine. At risk people will still die at higher percentages then the common flu though and there is likely to be long-term health effects in others.

I think the model where the ski area opens at your own risk is most likely but once hot spots emerge in ski towns, resorts will close and everyone's lift assisted skiing experience will be significantly different for a long time.

I for one look forward to the development of the eclimber ski system. This will be a robotic carbon exoskeleton that will allow the wearer to effortlessly break trail and climb up to 15,000 vertical feet in day while being assisted by a series of small hydraulic pistons run by a small hydrogen fuel cell you carry in your day pack. It should make lifts a thing of the past. I hear Dynafit, Salmon, and K2 are in the early stages of development.
    Paging Elon Musk, white courtesy phone, please.

Southern Vermont was looking really good until the last 48 hours. 50 cases in Manchester, Londonderry, and Winhall. One school has supposedly pulled the plug on next year already. Guess there will be plenty of time for tours when they shut us back down again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    My fear right now is that Vail runs their projections and decides they should only open their busiest resorts. So maybe in CO that means Vail/Breck/Keystone but they leave Beaver Creek and Crested Butte closed all year. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.
    Or they open those during historically busy periods of the year and close during slower parts?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Or they open those during historically busy periods of the year and close during slower parts?
    I think that would be a real challenge in terms of controlling avalanche terrain, but who the hell knows, we're all just flinging shit at a wall at this point.

I think that would be a real challenge in terms of controlling avalanche terrain, but who the hell knows, we're all just flinging shit at a wall at this point.
    And staffing....

I have a friend who is a full-time, year-round lift mechanic at a large destination resort in Colorado, and his schedule has been a series of fits and starts since March. It's a problem for resorts and a hardship on employees to deal with that inconsistency.

I think the model where the ski area opens at your own risk
    I am certainly not a lawyer but there is no way the insurance underwriters would go for that unless there was an executive order or some other legislative action that spelled out clearly that such a thing was codified, particularly for a non-essential recreational activity.

I have a friend who is a full-time, year-round lift mechanic at a large destination resort in Colorado, and his schedule has been a series of fits and starts since March. It's a problem for resorts and a hardship on employees to deal with that inconsistency.
    Ran into a friend who works on lifts at the Really Big. Up until about 2 weeks ago they were 30 hrs a week, now they are 30 one week and 40 the next with no real guarantee how long they will have work.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

They canceled snow?
    watch out for snakes

What if you had to plunk down a large sum of money to secure a location, security, etc? It may seem silly, but large events require lots of advanced planning and advanced expenditures, and it is perfectly reasonable, when faced with all those expenses for an event that you know is unlikely, to pull the plug and save the money and aggravation.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I would trade the Tram for a season if it meant a noticeable decrease in skiers. Maybe R bowl should be hike to only for one winter. That'd tie up a good lot for an hour or two.

If it's a no tram season, lemme tell ya, being first up high will pay off in gold nuggets. Especially if there's no ski schoolers in front of public. They're gonna have to reel that shit in too.
    If all schoolers/clients get uphill before paying public at Bridger Ganjala, There'll be much ill will. People wait in line for an hour or two, then 1000 people walk right past them. The shit talking from the locals begins at about #250.
    I hadn’t thought about the Gondi issue. The only chair route is teewee AV, to either kemmerer or Casper to get the upper chairs.
    Fuck. Even if they do 4 per Gondi that’s hella lines everywhere. And 4 strangers per Gondi is hardly social distancing.

Missing the days of crystal springs to Casper to thunder!

And if only they kept the East ridge double!
    . . .

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Pretty sure when I bought my pass last month that I gave Big Sky $1200 to float them until 21/22. If lifts turn this year it will be a miracle at this rate with everyone 10 deep slobbering all over each other at every single bar/restaurant in the county right now.

If BS is closed and BB is open it will be an epic shitshow. It's almost like they will have to agree to either both be open or both be closed IMO.

Not to add to the already depressing news in this thread but I saw an interview with the Director of the CDC and he did not sugar coat the outlook for this fall/winter...:

Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said he thinks "the fall and the winter of 2020 and 2021 are going to be the probably one of the most difficult times that we experienced in American public health."

Speaking Tuesday during a webinar with the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Redfield said this is all due to the potential co-occurrence of Covid-19 and the flu.

“Keeping the health care system from being overstretched, I think, is really going to be important. And the degree that we're able to do that, I think, will define how well we get through the fall and winter,” he said.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This dystopia sucks.

This doesn't

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Fuck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Pretty sure when I bought my pass last month that I gave Big Sky $1200 to float them until 21/22. If lifts turn this year it will be a miracle at this rate with everyone 10 deep slobbering all over each other at every single bar/restaurant in the county right now.

If BS is closed and BB is open it will be an epic shitshow. It's almost like they will have to agree to either both be open or both be closed IMO.
    Saw today that the Haufbrau is voluntarily shutting back down. What's up with the Gallatin Co. health dept. that they can't get a handle on the situation? Are they even aware?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    you are naive. This is not going to end, we are living in the new normal.
    Of course this isn't going to end. Never said that it will. But you underestimate the stubborn desire of people to return to the 'old normal', even when faced with the fact that we cannot turn back the clock.

It's part of the reason MAGA still has a ring with 30% of the pop'n (if polls are to be believed). People just want to believe they can erase the current problems of this world in their belief of a better past that may not have even existed. And they'll believe it right up until they start showing symptoms.

Like I said- I can't speak for places like Abasin because of the pop'n centers nearby. I'm talking about the smaller hills that aren't epic of Ikon. They are in a pickle financially, and you can bet that some are going to gamble with openings.