View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1306
    There is no will to enforce, so the minority that isn't following good practices will fuck everyone else when the state finally comes in with an iron fist.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by joeshek View Post
    We’re done. Once you add apres ski tourists to the mix who have no choice but to eat and drink out in the town, it’s going to be game over.
    It's still possible for locals, but only if Colorado closes bars and forces takeout only food, and does something like Vermont and makes hotel owners monitor out of state quarantine rules. Doubtful. But, then it will be over, just like last Spring, when the fire spreads.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Current CO cases are three times higher than the summer peak.
    Odin’s wife works in the ICU everything is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Odin’s wife works in the ICU everything is fine.
    If banging a candy striper makes you an expert, then there should be a lot more experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I think the smart thing for Summit to do would to just do a modified shutdown now, get shit under control, then plan on reopening in early December when the skiing gets good. Why risk all this bullshit for the WROD anyway?

October-November used to be when everything shut down because there was nothing going on. It used to be when your employees got to catch their breath and restaurants did remodels and cleaning. Let's just do that, let the virus calm down a bit, and get ready for ski season.

I feel like a lot of businesses have gotten too used to this year-round busy bullshit and have become dependent on it. Maybe it'd drive away some of these new WFH residents too as an added bonus.

It is a problem that has been exacerbated by the virus. People who live up here need to work 365 to afford to live here. Businesses need to stay open to make up for lost revenue from March. Increased population allows for it. Now the cold will drive everyone inside and it's gonna blow up.

I did see a brewery in Golden giving discounted drinks if people sat outside. If temp dropped below 32ºF $2 off! Thought that was pretty smart.
    not trying to dig on you so don't get upset I'm just saying what is really going on

resturants don't need to make up for march, they killed it this summer everyones numbers are up big time highest summer numbers ever probably having the best october there ever was as far as money around here
    wfh jongs will do there season or two just like the freshman class some will make it to there 2nd or 3rd year but only 90% of that years class makes it to ten or more years
    again wfh jongs have this fantasy in there head retirees too when its snowing and suck balls cold in mid may and they see that all there friends are checking out babes in daisy dukes the fantasy wears off quickly these people are a just another cog in the wheel other than buying lots of shit and jacking up property values they are just long term tourons
    the 20 somethings are doing their thing like they have for decades packed 5-10 in house plus all there bros visiting sharing bongs getting fucked up same story different year they are all getting the breckenridge hack that is normal for this time of year from smoking too much thin air drinking too much and eating like shit
    ski towns are not about skiing anymore get that through your heads skiing doesn't mean shit no one skis anymore people are just here to look at pretty mountains bask in the winter sun shop eat and get fucked up
    this winter is going to be off the hook as far as numbers go don't matter if the ski area opens or not

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I think the smart thing for Summit to do would to just do a modified shutdown now, get shit under control, then plan on reopening in early December when the skiing gets good.
    And hopefully when places start to get busy, masking culture will already be well-established by the people who want to keep things open

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    not trying to dig on you so don't get upset I'm just saying what is really going on

resturants don't need to make up for march, they killed it this summer everyones numbers are up big time highest summer numbers ever probably having the best october there ever was as far as money around here
    wfh jongs will do there season or two just like the freshman class some will make it to there 2nd or 3rd year but only 90% of that years class makes it to ten or more years
    again wfh jongs have this fantasy in there head retirees too when its snowing and suck balls cold in mid may and they see that all there friends are checking out babes in daisy dukes the fantasy wears off quickly these people are a just another cog in the wheel other than buying lots of shit and jacking up property values they are just long term tourons
    the 20 somethings are doing their thing like they have for decades packed 5-10 in house plus all there bros visiting sharing bongs getting fucked up same story different year they are all getting the breckenridge hack that is normal for this time of year from smoking too much thin air drinking too much and eating like shit
    ski towns are not about skiing anymore get that through your heads skiing doesn't mean shit no one skis anymore people are just here to look at pretty mountains bask in the winter sun shop eat and get fucked up
    this winter is going to be off the hook as far as numbers go don't matter if the ski area opens or not
    Why would any front ranger come up there if bars and ski lifts are closed?

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Here comes an insane amount of covid denier comments to their social media pages. Honestly it feels like most of those people commenting do not even ski the basin, just there for the troll factor. I can’t really back that up I just get that vibe.
    Yeah, one read through the comments shows the level of denial and stupidity. We all are being held hostage by these mouth breathers who won’t do what’s good for the community as a whole. Get those backcountry setups ready.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Yeah, one read through the comments shows the level of denial and stupidity. We all are being held hostage by these mouth breathers who won’t do what’s good for the community as a whole. Get those backcountry setups ready.
    I've decided that reading the comments is the equivalent of looking down the hole in a busy campground toilet. I do wonder how many are bots.

Numbers are stupid here in Iowa. 1900 yesterday and close to that today on a population of 3 million. Fall death spiral. One of my customers closed last week for unknown reasons (but we all know the reason). Brand new store. Lolz. Mask usage is still sporadic. So frustrating. The mouth breathers are winning.

Day 1 of 2020 NA lift served skiing at Trollhaugen just north and east of MSP. They had to stop selling lift tickets at 1:30 according to their Facebook. Picture stolen from their FB also. I am down walking dogs in Iowa.

Also they are on the IndyPass. So day one for multi pass resort skiing.

Like other people here I am feeling more pessimistic than I was, feeling more like a Benny than a monkey.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uglymoney; 10-25-2020 at 02:04 PM.

let the games begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's still possible for locals, but only if Colorado closes bars and forces takeout only food, and does something like Vermont and makes hotel owners monitor out of state quarantine rules. Doubtful. But, then it will be over, just like last Spring, when the fire spreads.
    I gotta agree with this. I'm really hoping people don't take a ski vacation this year to CO, but all of my intuitions are telling me we are going to see a shit ton of people who want to take a domestic vacation this winter and will think a ski trip will be 'safe'. Restaurants in ski towns here don't seem to be following guidelines. Like at all.

My bet: State of CO public health orders will be issued by mid-December which will close restaurants and bars throughout the entire State. They will have to do this to force stop the ski towns from having a ton of Christmas vacation tourists out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Why would any front ranger come up there if bars and ski lifts are closed?
    all summer I have watched people do stupid shit which isn't any different than normal
    but standing outside in forty degree weather waiting to eat outside in breezey forty degree weather seems to be ok with people see it all day long
    people want to do anything but sit in there bland suburban sprawl with kids at home work from home you name it if you can escape for a couple days they do
    and who is going to enforce anything????? the only enforcement is taking away a resturants liquor license other than that? Threaten to take away a business lic? full martial law? that will go south real quick

I’m not exactly how NY, VT, ME, NM (others?) are enforcing their 14 days quarantines but I know a few people who didn’t go to NY over our school’s fall break because of it. It may not have an effect on the selfish assholes but it does on people who are responsible. I really think CO needs to do this at a minimum for the ski season, as well as no bars, limit restaurants and keep most people working from home if possible.

Tourist infections don't affect the metrics use to determine if CO health orders need to be tightened up unless they start taking up hospital space (which they have) or unless they spread there infections to locals (they didn't over the summer).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    all summer I have watched people do stupid shit which isn't any different than normal
    but standing outside in forty degree weather waiting to eat outside in breezey forty degree weather seems to be ok with people see it all day long
    people want to do anything but sit in there bland suburban sprawl with kids at home work from home you name it if you can escape for a couple days they do
    and who is going to enforce anything????? the only enforcement is taking away a resturants liquor license other than that? Threaten to take away a business lic? full martial law? that will go south real quick
    The same way they enforced it last Spring. Close down the lifts. Easy in this case, one company runs most of the shit. Their lawyers will insist. There are still lawsuits in the EU over Ishgyl.

It's not just tourists. It's Denver. Tons of second home owners. And kids who don't even ski drive to Breck on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I’m not exactly how NY, VT, ME, NM (others?) are enforcing their 14 days quarantines but I know a few people who didn’t go to NY over our school’s fall break because of it. It may not have an effect on the selfish assholes but it does on people who are responsible. I really think CO needs to do this at a minimum for the ski season, as well as no bars, limit restaurants and keep most people working from home if possible.
    I think the primary means of enforcement in Maine has been with hotels and campgrounds (earlier) concerned they will be held accountable. Of course that does not prevent lying. Lots of out of state plates especially after July 1. Surprisingly low rates despite all the people moving about. My prejudice hypothesis is folks with money to travel have been better about ppe. That and a high profile case involving islanders letting some out of staters know what’s what has had anyone hoping out of a car with plates from away be good about wearing their masks.

Seasonal campgrounds were aloud to open to out of state renters June 1st w requirement to quarantine for 14 days. I know of several of these campgrounds who told campers they would not enforce anything and openly suggested folks walk the beach or Aggie. So may have been some out of stagers around for sure. Bet the massholes were up every weekend and back in Lowell for the week.

When you have a CT doctor on AZ saying he will come to Mt Snow every weekend so his kids can race and he can free ski it won't take long for a shutdown. The AZ condo owners have changed their tune now that ski season is close and feet it is their right as taxpayers to freely come to VT every weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 7.10.07 AM.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	509.8 KB 
ID:	344952

Some sort of underground kids ski group bs going on. Great idea, lets hook up kids from families all over the NE during the pandemic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 7.14.51 AM.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	344953
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Your bubble is an illusion. These fucking idiots been going in and out of your state all summer long and they’re going to continue to do it all winter long. Your best bet is picking up some new hobby for the winter. Maybe learn guitar?

It wasn't so bad in the summer with 80% of dining outside and windows open everywhere else, people hiking ect. I stay away from dining and events to avoid these clowns. I have plenty of touring to do and will be quite happy with 100+ days of moving my feet on snow. thank you
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I know this sport is inside, but look how quickly the states jumped in and closed down hockey.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...lusters-emerge

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    When you have a CT doctor on AZ saying he will come to Mt Snow every weekend so his kids can race and he can free ski it won't take long for a shutdown. The AZ condo owners have changed their tune now that ski season is close and feet it is their right as taxpayers to freely come to VT every weekend.
    I wonder if the club will stand behind the policies of the regional and national governing bodies. VARA has a "VARA COVID Member Pledge" posted to which all members are supposed to be adhering, and the first element is compliance with federal, state and local health regulations; adherence to state quarantine regulations is specifically called out later in the document.

The ski-racing community, at least at the NGB level, is taking this seriously. There are no races local/regional until Jan 1, field sizes are limited far more than normal, and there's a good chance that regional and national championships won't be happening this year for most age levels (I think they still intend to have national and possibly junior-national events for elite-level competitors). It gets a little more challenging at the local level—there are lots of weekend coaches who know that their athletes are involved in mid-week activities at home and coming up for the weekend, but putting them in the position of having to say, "Sorry, you need to go away, because we know you're not following the state health regulations," is awkward at best.

the last thing I would do is jeaprodize the safety of my second home community
    Fuck Off!
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Problem with race programs is lodge crowding. If that's allowed I'm never going inside and breathing the air of a hundred asymptomatic youth and family members all packed together in half the lodge with all of their stuff. It's a problem for them, too.