View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Fat bike futures are through the roof!

not in the backcountry

Just dial it back, because odds are good that you won't receive the same level of care in a backcountry emergency that you would have in the past. It's going to be a long time before anyone who needs CPR is going to get more than just chest compressions in a field setting. Something to think about/keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Sorry, but, these are the notorious international drug companies we're talking about, not exactly known for their concern for the sick and poor over obscene profits. That's been pretty well documented over the last decade and more. Now that we have, essentially, an international bidding war for a vaccine led by the United States which is backed by an infinite amount of cash they can print with the tap of a computer key, then, of course, everyone is going to jump into that pool and say that they're developing a vaccine, and watch the R&D bank accounts grow. Why not? And to the winner goes probably trillions of spoils.
    OK, doomer.

"Notorious" drug companies??? Remember this is a global thing - not just 'murica. The University of Oxford? Moderna is bad? They're pretty new. CanSino - also new and believe it or not, not every Chinese company is evil, and they're working with those sketchy Canadians for testing and research as well. NOTORIOUS!

There are also some very wealthy and altruistic people trying their best to help out. Look for good in the world, and you'll find it. Not everything is out to destroy you, although when it seems your whole country is set up to do just that I get where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Some new studies are showing that humans are losing the antibodies within months after contracting and recovering from Covid. I am no doctor but it is my understanding that vaccines work by injecting you with small doses that revs your body's antibody machine up making you less susceptible to contracting the virus. If antibodies for this virus are not long lived, then one and done may not possible. Will this mean you will need vaccine doses several times a year or that you would need a long course of the vaccine to ensure long term immunization?
    The body stops making antibodies when they're no longer needed to fight off infection, so a reduction over time without further exposure would be expected. What's important is whether or not the 'memory' remains so that if the virus is reintroduced, the body will ramp up those antibodies very quickly. This is one of the reasons why it takes so long to determine if a vaccine is effective.

The news likes to read medical research and pick out one scary sounding fact and then blast their headline with it. Pretty much every time I dig a little deeper, their assessment is a little overblown. Gotta get those clicks, I guess.

If an annual re-up of the COVID-19 vaccine is required, it will likely be bundled in with the flu vaccine - a one-and-done every fall. Easy peasy.

Oh, and I am also no doctor and 100% of what I say may be total bullshit. But I don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Just dial it back, because odds are good that you won't receive the same level of care in a backcountry emergency that you would have in the past. It's going to be a long time before anyone who needs CPR is going to get more than just chest compressions in a field setting. Something to think about/keep in mind.
    You don't think a backcountry ski partner would avoid giving CPR because of Covid? I think that's a little exaggerated.
    Someone dying in front of you vs slim chance that they might have the 'Rona? Hmmm. CPR masks do have a valve.
    Not to mention the fact that you were apparently skiing terrain dangerous enough to cause injury requiring CPR, your risk tolerance is already higher than average. But yeah, just die right there because there's a very slim chance that I might get a virus that has a 3% chance of killing me.

I'm buying a pass, but I also had two weeks worth of hut trips in BC booked for the upcoming winter.

One week is still on, if I can get into Canada, and I got bumped from my second trip because the operation decided that even if the border re-opens, they won't be hosting any American guests during the 20-21 season. Personally, I'm preparing to not go on either trip, since I think it's a pipe dream to expect the border to re-open for nonessential travel until there is an effective and widely available vaccine.

Hoping the lifts spin, but who the fuck knows.
    interesting. who was the hut trip with that is blockading Mericans?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You don't think a backcountry ski partner would avoid giving CPR because of Covid? I think that's a little exaggerated.
    Someone dying in front of you vs slim chance that they might have the 'Rona? Hmmm. CPR masks do have a valve.
    Not to mention the fact that you were apparently skiing terrain dangerous enough to cause injury requiring CPR, your risk tolerance is already higher than average. But yeah, just die right there because there's a very slim chance that I might get a virus that has a 3% chance of killing me.
    Yeah, I'd risk it for my buddy.

Regarding risk tolerance, of course you realize you can get carried off in a slide on a 28 degree slope - terrain, weather, snowpack and all that ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    My comment was based on the fact that multiple SAR groups have come out and publicly stated that they will no longer perform rescue breathing as a part of CPR until the COVID thing is sorted. It's been posted about and discussed here (TGR, not this thread) previously.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but it is something to keep in mind. NARSIs can happen in even the mellowest terrain.

...humbly disagree :
    There will always be people who choose to act courageously / heroically while disregarding personal Safety - the vacation attracts it - And

proper Rescue Breathing Can be performed with Very little Risk - Safely , Not without risk : Safely.

Just my humble $.02 ... skiJ

vocation. skiJ

Well lay person CPR classes have made rescue breathing optional for years now as compressions to a pretty good job of air exchange. Pretty much if you're doing CPR by the time SAR arrives their role is body retrieval. It is very rare that CPR saves a life unless an AED or defibrillator is available. A better approach might be to observe weather, measure slope angles, monitor changes in snowpack and choose wisely.

Berthoud and Loveland Passes are going to be a freak show this winter if resorts aren’t open.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    glades a crack panic post first
    think later whether he trys or not
    like bsi hasnt been part of rescue
    since aids
    or the cpr practices changed
    or oneway rescure breathing masks havent been around for decades
    im buyin my pebble creek pass today
    and checking to see if nols is gonna run recerts classes again
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Berthoud and Loveland Passes are going to be a freak show this winter if resorts aren’t open.
    Didn't the authorities have to step in and control parking issues at both this April?

Didn't the authorities have to step in and control parking issues at both this April?
    Yes, that’s true. Guess we can expect that to happen this winter too.

Bought my pass when they were still available (and discounted). Not because I think I'll get a regular season's use out of it, but because if there is a season, I live right down the street from the chairs and it's stupid not to. And also because it pays my roommates to keep paying rent.

At this point in my life, if $500 ends up making a difference in my existence, I'm gonna be fucked in so many more ways than just skiing

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Yes, that’s true. Guess we can expect that to happen this winter too.
    All they really did on LL was plow in the parking lots and issue tickets for people parked on the road ways. For the most part it was one cop patrolling and there were still skiing. Some pretty nice untracked lines.

I doubt they’ll go through the trouble but if they don’t want people there they’ll just only plow the roads and not the parking.

The state was asking residents to recreate within 10 miles of home, so it's not surprising.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 07-16-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    OK, doomer.

"Notorious" drug companies??? Remember this is a global thing - not just 'murica. The University of Oxford? Moderna is bad? They're pretty new. CanSino - also new and believe it or not, not every Chinese company is evil, and they're working with those sketchy Canadians for testing and research as well. NOTORIOUS!

There are also some very wealthy and altruistic people trying their best to help out. Look for good in the world, and you'll find it. Not everything is out to destroy you, although when it seems your whole country is set up to do just that I get where you're coming from.

How Novavax Won $1.6 Billion to Make a Coronavirus Vaccine https://nyti.ms/2ChPu4q

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Yeah, but since March 21st, I think we can say with confidence that an outdoor situation like this isn’t that risky. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Except for parking in an avi path.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 9.35.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	1819 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	334848
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Except for parking in an avi path.
    Oh no biggie