View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1306
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    We can certainly ski. But all the other things around skiing are the problems. Bars being open is ridiculous. Resorts are short sighted. Thinking the money from food service is worth getting lifts closed.
    I work in group sales at a destination resort, we have to operate our restaurants to feed the people. They're day skiers, employees and those who come up and stay in our hotel and condos. It's a total pain in the balls this year but necessary to operate our resort and yes we need to make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I work in group sales at a destination resort, we have to operate our restaurants to feed the people. They're day skiers, employees and those who come up and stay in our hotel and condos. It's a total pain in the balls this year but necessary to operate our resort and yes we need to make some money.

it may be necessary to operate your resort, but is your resort necessarily needed during a pandemic?

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    it may be necessary to operate your resort, but is your resort necessarily needed during a pandemic?
    We’re the largest employer in the area by far, you tell me

Congrats doebedoe.

And yeah pretty sure the wedding Shredhead referred to is the 70+ person gathering of folks fron LA and TX who came and gathered for several days in CO in direct violation of our public health ordinances and resulted in at least 26 of them getting covid along with god knows how many locals that encountered them.

Assholes!!!

I was up on Snowmass and saw trucks bringing up Coke machines.

They shut down all the water fountains and I’m sure they’ll make you buy bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I just got married and had a wedding. Not a courthouse. It was pretty rad. Hung out with a total of 5 people the day of (self and photographer who was distanced + masked included). Cancelled all family/friends who couldn't drive w/o stopping at hotels. We also camped with 3 additional couples for the long weekend after entirely outside, no shared food/drinks, no gratiudous hugs. Selfish i know.

Attachment 344290
    Congrats d! Hope to see you planking out there!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Congrats Doebedoe!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Congrats doebedoe.

And yeah pretty sure the wedding Shredhead referred to is the 70+ person gathering of folks fron LA and TX who came and gathered for several days in CO in direct violation of our public health ordinances and resulted in at least 26 of them getting covid along with god knows how many locals that encountered them.

Assholes!!!
    Remember that some local businesses hosted them. If you are kissed off at someone, take it out in then. Identify what businesses are bringing these tourist into tow and start a boycott.

Or just resent about out of stars not following the times and hitting the locals.

I wouldn't dream of taking a ski vacation this year, but I'm lucky to live near world class skiing (if it snows). The resorts should have been thinking about serving day skiers, but obviously that is not a sustainable model for places like Big Sky and Jackson that aren't near enough to big cities to survive on locals and second homeowners. The IKON and Epic resorts should have been offering only single resort or regional passes but obviously IKON and Epic were over-optimistic about what the pandemic would be doing as ski season approaches. They could still let people apply their pass purchase to a single resort or region pass at a reduced rate and apply the excess to next year's pass.

Dude, haven't you heard, this will disappear on 11/4
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wouldn't dream of taking a ski vacation this year, but I'm lucky to live near world class skiing (if it snows). The resorts should have been thinking about serving day skiers, but obviously that is not a sustainable model for places like Big Sky and Jackson that aren't near enough to big cities to survive on locals and second homeowners. The IKON and Epic resorts should have been offering only single resort or regional passes but obviously IKON and Epic were over-optimistic about what the pandemic would be doing as ski season approaches. They could still let people apply their pass purchase to a single resort or region pass at a reduced rate and apply the excess to next year's pass.
    We did not buy a KIrkwood Only Pass (which we’ve had since Vail bough the place in 2012). So Epic did have one such offering.

We had many concerns about skiing this winter, but feared KW will be. Upside than normal. Lots of Tahoe Passes sold and people are flying less and figure Heavenly and N* will be sold out of reservations most weekends, with the over flow going to KW so they can ski. First day of moderate winds is going to be a cluster fuck there.

Unfortunately the ski industry has killed the small local resort for more regions. I won’t be said if this year screws Vail and these multi resorts pass deals. Life at my resort was way better before Epic came to town.

Almost 2000 new cases in CO today. Positivity almost 7%. Easily a record. JFC.

Opening day at ABasin very soon with this storm!

I can’t believe there’re people who think ski resorts are about skiing. They’re there for booze, food and lodging.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Opening day at ABasin very soon with this storm!
    I’m guessing Friday.
    They just announced even tighter restrictions on any people in the lodge.
    Cases are jumping up fast. If CO is consistently around 2k new a day, with huge increases in hospitalizations, I just can’t see bigger resorts opening in a month or staying open.
    Sorry, I’m getting pretty pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Almost 2000 new cases in CO today. Positivity almost 7%. Easily a record. JFC.
    We've been tickling 2000/day in Utah with a positivity rate of nearly 15 percent.

Our Trumpkin governor chose to go full retard a while ago, so they are taking 0 measures to slow down the outbreak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    We've been tickling 2000/day in Utah with a positivity rate of nearly 15 percent.

Our Trumpkin governor chose to go full retard a while ago, so they are taking 0 measures to slow down the outbreak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Sounds about right.
    That’s why I mentioned in a different thread that CO or WA will be the first in the west to pull the plug. But WA is doing much much better.

OMG. Cases. Cases. Cases.
    78% available ICU capacity in CO.
    My wife that works in ICU, asked “what’s the typical number for this time of year?” She said ICU typically goes up in Oct.

Enough fear & lock down. We flattened the curve back in June. Open the state up. We can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    My wife that works in ICU, asked “what’s the typical number for this time of year?” She said ICU typically goes up in Oct.

Enough fear & lock down. We flattened the curve back in June. Open the state up. We can handle it.

Hospitalizations, ICU % and deaths lag cases.

It’s not about fear and lock down. It’s about reality. Full ICUs in a month or two are going to be what keeps resorts closed, or running at very low capacity. Don’t you remember the spring. That was one of the huge reasons the governor shut them down.

CO has been pretty damn open since May, and has done well this summer, especially since Denver was the most travelled to city this summer. Now shit is hitting the fan and we need to pump the brakes.

Al’s Blog:

To Summit County Residents
    Like much of the rest of the country, COVID rates are going up in Summit County. Over the last two weeks, Summit's cumulative rate of cases was the 6th highest in Colorado. If this rate doesn't go down over the next two weeks, more severe restrictions will be put in place, hampering our ability to ski, work and enjoy life.

Conventional wisdom tells us that these cases are being brought in by outside tourists. Turns out that is almost completely false. Contact tracing has told us Summit County residents are spreading COVID to other Summit County residents. Nearly all of this is happening through socialization - an evening party, drinks after work, hanging too close with too many people. Many of the transmissions have occurred in the late evening, after partying, when peoples' guards are down. If we want to enjoy winter in Summit County, we are going to have to turn things around quickly. Keep your face coverings on. Maintain your physical distances. Keep your groups small. The time to act is now.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Al’s Blog:

To Summit County Residents
    Like much of the rest of the country, COVID rates are going up in Summit County. Over the last two weeks, Summit's cumulative rate of cases was the 6th highest in Colorado. If this rate doesn't go down over the next two weeks, more severe restrictions will be put in place, hampering our ability to ski, work and enjoy life.

Conventional wisdom tells us that these cases are being brought in by outside tourists. Turns out that is almost completely false. Contact tracing has told us Summit County residents are spreading COVID to other Summit County residents. Nearly all of this is happening through socialization - an evening party, drinks after work, hanging too close with too many people. Many of the transmissions have occurred in the late evening, after partying, when peoples' guards are down. If we want to enjoy winter in Summit County, we are going to have to turn things around quickly. Keep your face coverings on. Maintain your physical distances. Keep your groups small. The time to act is now.
    We’re done. Once you add apres ski tourists to the mix who have no choice but to eat and drink out in the town, it’s going to be game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post

sarcasm, I hope?!

or are you a bleach drinker?

what does your wife do, janitor?

Here comes an insane amount of covid denier comments to their social media pages. Honestly it feels like most of those people commenting do not even ski the basin, just there for the troll factor. I can’t really back that up I just get that vibe.

I think the smart thing for Summit to do would to just do a modified shutdown now, get shit under control, then plan on reopening in early December when the skiing gets good. Why risk all this bullshit for the WROD anyway?

October-November used to be when everything shut down because there was nothing going on. It used to be when your employees got to catch their breath and restaurants did remodels and cleaning. Let's just do that, let the virus calm down a bit, and get ready for ski season.

I feel like a lot of businesses have gotten too used to this year-round busy bullshit and have become dependent on it. Maybe it'd drive away some of these new WFH residents too as an added bonus.

It is a problem that has been exacerbated by the virus. People who live up here need to work 365 to afford to live here. Businesses need to stay open to make up for lost revenue from March. Increased population allows for it. Now the cold will drive everyone inside and it's gonna blow up.

I did see a brewery in Golden giving discounted drinks if people sat outside. If temp dropped below 32ºF $2 off! Thought that was pretty smart.

Current CO cases are three times higher than the summer peak.