View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    registered over 2 years ago, first post yesterday? that's got to be some kind of record.
    The bots are becoming self-aware.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    registered over 2 years ago, first post yesterday? that's got to be some kind of record.
    Fuck, I dunno, I might have that beat

edit - nah, I fucked up, thought I’d registered way longer ago than 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    It's such shame, really. I remember growing up I always thought the USA was so cool, like the country that set the example for all. Now, it seems like a bit of a mess. Hopefully things swing back in the other direction soon, though.
    Sweden is cool

USA is shitting bricks and hiding under the desk
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    Fuck, I dunno, I might have that beat

edit - nah, I fucked up, thought I’d registered way longer ago than 2019.
    Welcome to Tgr squirreljam

Should you find yourself offended, Alpine Zone is always waiting for you.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    , and from both, "last year they laid us off with 1 weeks pay and told us to fuck off".
    wow
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Cirque Series at Snowbird just cancelled. All races off till next year.

Ski area rumor mill grinding again.

Some sort of a reservation system for skiing. Supposedly modeled after what CO resorts will be using.

Make a reservation and you will be entered into a lottery/allocation system and maybe able to ski. Limited numbers on the hill.

Maybe you get to ski all day, maybe 1/2 day but the days of just driving to the area to ski when the mood strikes, gone for this season.

Could be bullshit.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Some sort of a reservation system for skiing. Supposedly modeled after what CO resorts will be using.

Make a reservation and you will be entered into a lottery/allocation system and maybe able to ski. Limited numbers on the hill.

Maybe you get to ski all day, maybe 1/2 day but the days of just driving to the area to ski when the mood strikes, gone for this season.

Could be bullshit.
    Not surprising but ugh.

I'm predicting morning server overloads when everyone tries to register X days ahead at the exact moment it opens up... every morning over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm predicting morning server overloads when everyone tries to register X days ahead at the exact moment it opens up... every morning over and over again.
    This. Especially when Joel Gratz predicts a powder day. This is going to fucking suck.

Could be bullshit.
    I'm guessing people staying in Boyne lodging will be guaranteed a spot. Passholders will need to be guaranteed a spot, otherwise what's the point of having a pass? Probably why they stopped selling them so early. So basically the day ticket crowd will be fukd. Do those people even exist anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'm guessing people staying in Boyne lodging will be guaranteed a spot. Passholders will need to be guaranteed a spot, otherwise what's the point of having a pass? Probably why they stopped selling them so early. So basically the day ticket crowd will be fukd. Do those people even exist anymore?
    <quietly puts hand up>

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    <quietly puts hand up>
    Consider some sort of pass if you can get one, just to have priority access (we hope). I just bought another pass at our local hill for my youngest daughter because she is free to ski with me this winter, having quit gymnastics. I don't think it will pay off financially, but I was worried that they might limit numbers on weekends and I wanted to make sure we could go together and not have to worry about the ticket thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    This. Especially when Joel Gratz predicts a powder day. This is going to fucking suck.
    If you have reservations in hand, and visitation is capped, it may be more manageable than the usual Front Range junkshow.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 08-13-2020 at 08:52 AM.

I'm wondering how that might work if you're signed up for a program. Like does ski lessons for your kid (or in my circumstance race training) get an automatic reservation? For the kid and a parent? Both parents?

The racing program has started registration but of course has no info on any of this. And they say they'll give you your money back if the season blows up, but it's less a $250 registration fee. I have about 6 weeks to decide before the price goes up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Consider some sort of pass if you can get one, just to have priority access (we hope). I just bought another pass at our local hill for my youngest daughter because she is free to ski with me this winter, having quit gymnastics. I don't think it will pay off financially, but I was worried that they might limit numbers on weekends and I wanted to make sure we could go together and not have to worry about the ticket thing.
    I get a pass to the local hill every year so I can ski while the kids are in lessons instead of standing around in the cold like a fool, so got that covered. And then we get a 5-day edge card for whistler as well for the trip with the wife to visit family, which I think is considered a "pass" as far as Vail is concerned. What I don't count on doing this year though is adding days to that card at a discounted rate, as it sounds like they may be unavailable.

What I'll likely miss out on this winter though is the annual "bro trip" to wherever. It's the best one, and is where the day passes come in to play. Been going strong on that one for 12 years now, it was a good run.

There will be a lottery system for pass holders. Nobody will be automatic.

"statures" of Dr. Fauci?

There will be a lottery system for pass holders. Nobody will be automatic.

^^^ This.

My take is that season passes will compete for allocated spots. Probably some sort of a priority/points system for and against depending on how many days you have gotten for the week/month/season.

The day pass/multi day guests staying in preferred lodging will probably get 1st dibs.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Could be bullshit.
    We spend the winter in SLC and ski almost everyday. If I can’t get some idea of how many days we will be able to ski it may not be worth the lodging cost. If it Is less than 50% of the time it just may not be worth it. I understand the dilemma the resorts are in but spending $1000 for a ticket and $60 a day for our lodging only to sit around 75% of the time might not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Sweden is cool

USA is shitting bricks and hiding under the desk
    Yeah, that's the problem

Wonder if resorts will set aside tickets for lodging guests at the expense of Local season ticket holders.

It is becoming really apparent that ski resorts are going to try to kill off the season pass post covid and force everyone into their profit centers of day tickets and private lessons. Any sort of reservation system completely destroys the value of having a pass in the first place. Good luck finding a discounted day ticket anywhere this year by the way.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Wonder if resorts will set aside tickets for lodging guests at the expense of Local season ticket holders.
    I think you can count on that.

The wild card is, what if people won't travel to the ski towns to fill the beds, eat out and ski?

Again, no one knows what this season will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It is becoming really apparent that ski resorts are going to try to kill off the season pass post covid and force everyone into their profit centers of day tickets and private lessons. Any sort of reservation system completely destroys the value of having a pass in the first place. Good luck finding a discounted day ticket anywhere this year by the way.
    Not so fast, if this is the ultimate goal the independent resorts would not sign up and partner with Epic & Ikon.