View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Vaccine gonna save the ski season by December at the latest. Just in time for xmas.
    At least for the essential workers, like politicians, bankers, and the top 1% job creators.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Great. Let them take it first. But, they won't. The poor will be the guinea pigs.

Loveland info:

Details -
    As we prepare for the upcoming ski season, we understand that you probably have a lot of questions about what this winter will look like at Loveland. While we have some answers for you, it will be a little while longer until we are able to work through everything. At this point the only thing we can say with any certainty is that this season is going to be…different. Some changes will be very minor while others will be more impactful, but each will help us remain open for skiing and snowboarding.

We place the highest value on the health and safety of our guests and employees, and that will drive our decision making when it comes to the 2020/21 season. We expect to open on time and will do everything we can to safely stay open for the entire season. With your help, we believe this is possible.

Cleaning and sanitation efforts will be rigorous and more frequent. Social distancing and face coverings will be required in all indoor areas, base areas, lift mazes, on chairlifts, and on shuttle buses. Chairlift capacities will be decreased as only related parties will be permitted to load together. There will be occupancy limitations in all indoor spaces and on shuttle buses. Ski & Ride School will operate at reduced capacities. We will work to conduct as many transactions as possible online prior to your arrival.

We will provide more updates as we get closer to the start of the season. In the meantime, we have just announced our 130 Day Guarantee for 2020/21 season pass products. Current season pass pricing is valid through December 1, 2020 so you have plenty of time to decide what is best for you and your family.

We will not be attending any off-site sales events or ski shows this fall. You will be able to get the best pricing on 2020/21 products online. 4-Pak pricing and information on other Loveland products will be announced in the coming weeks.

As skiers and snowboarders, we all want the opportunity to enjoy another full season. In order to make that happen, we all need to work together and hold one another accountable for our collective health and safety. Wear your mask. Wash your hands. Stay safe and please stay home if you are sick. We look forward to skiing and riding with you again soon.

130 Day Guarantee

Loveland Ski Area will guarantee 130 days of operation during the 2020/21 winter season. We will offer a prorated credit toward a 2021/22 season pass for lost operating days due to a mandated closure or a stay at home order related to COVID-19. Credit will not be offered for closures related to weather, mechanical, or electrical issues. Should a 2020/21 season pass not be used for any days during the 2020/21 winter season, a full credit for the purchase price of the unused pass may be used toward the purchase price of a 2021/22 season pass.

How are resorts gonna handle singles lines? Lift mazes are gonna be total clusterfucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    How are resorts gonna handle singles lines? Lift mazes are gonna be total clusterfucks.
    This^
    The whole lineup is going to a grand shitshow even with restrictions on total skiers per day.
    A dozen quad chairs with singles going up in a row will explode heads.
    Gonna crank the airpod pros I found touring this spring and settle into a groove. And mostly roll midweek.

I feel like fewer people will be skiing at resorts in general. Pass sales are down, air travel will remain down, and services at the resort will be down, not to mention, some people will start to feel the burden of the slo-mo recession that is coming our way.

Not that I am saying these are good things, but in the world of skiing, it might reduce the amount of "skier days" to something that the resorts will be able to handle under the new paradigm. I'm still hopeful, and think that I'll probably focus more on weekday skiing and potentially lean more toward backcountry skiing than I have in the past few years.

Lastly, we might not have a vaccine and awesome testing in place right away at the start of this season, but by the end of the season, I bet (and hope) that things come back around to somewhat normal.

All I know is, I'll be trying to ski as much as I always have, and whatever that means, I'll still be right here next to the slopes. I got nowhere else to go.

I wonder what clips Warren Miller would have extracted from a 2020-21 ski season? LOL
    "Look at Bob, He's invented a new way to ride the tram without allowing anyone in his 6-foot radius personal bubble. He's gonna wear that same suit when he ski's too ...." Whatever happens, a little humor is going to make it all more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I feel like fewer people will be skiing at resorts in general. Pass sales are down, air travel will remain down, and services at the resort will be down, not to mention, some people will start to feel the burden of the slo-mo recession that is coming our way.

Not that I am saying these are good things, but in the world of skiing, it might reduce the amount of "skier days" to something that the resorts will be able to handle under the new paradigm. I'm still hopeful, and think that I'll probably focus more on weekday skiing and potentially lean more toward backcountry skiing than I have in the past few years.

Lastly, we might not have a vaccine and awesome testing in place right away at the start of this season, but by the end of the season, I bet (and hope) that things come back around to somewhat normal.

All I know is, I'll be trying to ski as much as I always have, and whatever that means, I'll still be right here next to the slopes. I got nowhere else to go.
    Destination resorts maybe but Crystal or the Cottonwoods with large local skier populations I don’t se this working. Daily capacity would be so low operating may not be viable.

Shames is opening in December with a much improved wifi system that will allow folks to buy their lift tickets on their phone without hitting up the ticket office. It's only a double chair, and a T bar so I guess unless your partner is in your bubble you'll ride single. That will make me insane, but whatever. I suppose masking up (maybe double mask neck tube combo...?), would allow me to share a chair... maybe if the pow was good.

Cafeteria stuff will be challenging, but I'm sure they'll work something out that works. The hill's giving money back no questions asked if for some reason (looking at you Covid asshole) we are all locked down again. But so far Northern BC is at total 93 cases with 75 recovered and 18 active cases. So fingers crossed we have some lifts spinning. There's always the touring anyway.

edit to add the cut off for no questions asked refund is Oct 1. Then there will surely be some questions asked
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Lift mazes are gonna be total clusterfucks.
    In Steamboat, the mazes were already a clusterfuck, along with awfully slow, reserved terrain openings and crowd dispersal not given much forethought. The closing of left-side entry and reentry to both Pony and Storm lifts the past 2 seasons are the perfect example. Morningside, too, what a disaster.

I'm hoping for a marked improvement. Get both sides open in those pinch spots, allow for people to spread out on both sides. Fingers crossed they are forced to make a change for the better.

I mean, I cannot imagine they can actually make it any worse. But then again...

One of my coworkers shared an article that pointed out that when someone who has covid flushes the toilet after a shit, it creates a plume of aerosolized shit+covid19 that is potentially infectious for anyone else that uses the bathroom. That's enough to put me off any public bathrooms, including the ones in ski areas, until there's a vaccine.

I mean, I was perfectly happy hanging out in clouds of strangers' aerosolized shit, but now that covid is in the mix, it's just not fun anymore.

^Yep. Most bathrooms at Wolf Creek will leave a taste in your mouth and a smell in your nose, best to go in the woods.

Safety huts are the only acceptable in door lift served buildings. I just hope that no one finds my stashed jetboils

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

I mean, I cannot imagine they can actually make it any worse. But then again...
    Please take all complaints and / or suggestions directly to the Department of Mismanagement and Skier Inconvenience. Venting on an internet forum will do you no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Please take all complaints and / or suggestions directly to the Department of Mismanagement and Skier Inconvenience. Venting on an internet forum will do you no good.
    You're clearly not on the same page as the rest of us here. Lol. Take a lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I don’t know. It has been busy around mountain towns this summer and I just don’t really see that stopping. People will think skiing is a safe activity to go travel for because it’s outside even though they forgot they spend a lot of their trip/ days inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    I don’t know. It has been busy around mountain towns this summer and I just don’t really see that stopping. People will think skiing is a safe activity to go travel for because it’s outside even though they forgot they spend a lot of their trip/ days inside.
    This. Tahoe has been a fucking shit show. If the resorts open half of the Bay Area will be here just the same.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Our kids school is closed until November at the earliest.

Is the 20/21 ski season over at resorts already?

Word from race coaches...Elk Mtn. in PA will most likely not open this winter if things don’t improve/restrictions are still in place.

*hopefully areas will wait a few months to make those type of calls.....the domino effect is real...and is a tough pill to swallow.
    Last edited by BC.; 08-09-2020 at 05:13 PM.

On the brighter side, it will be nice to be able to get an appetizer at La Caille while waiting in line for Gadzoom....

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    On the brighter side, it will be nice to be able to get an appetizer at La Caille while waiting in line for Gadzoom....
    And not for a gondola either.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This. Tahoe has been a fucking shit show. If the resorts open half of the Bay Area will be here just the same.
    Same with Mt Hood and Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Agreed. I wouldn't count on reduced skier numbers at all. Everything I've seen suggests outdoor activities are busier than ever and I see no reason that's not going to carry over into the winter. In fact it might get worse since the number of outdoor recreation opportunities decreases in the winter.

A

I think we'll see a less than usual amount of skiers at the resorts this year....but on the other hand, I think we'll see a ton more in the BC

Spoke with 2 different long time patrollers. Both are on the fence about this season.

Reasons give were many. The uncertainty of what a season with Covid looks like, family they don't want to expose, and from both, "last year they laid us off with 1 weeks pay and told us to fuck off, fuck them".
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"