View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    closing deal on mrg share nest week.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This Superintendent has a death already from Zoom teaching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...uperintendent/

Have you read about that summer camp in Georgia? Do you really think we can have millions of kids inside buildings eight hours a day and not see vast sickness and death spread? Don't even start with universities. Then you have alcohol, drugs, and sex to alter judgements.
    What does the Georgia data tell us? Positives mean what? Are these kids at camp in ICU? Hospital? Asymptomatic?

The news switched from deaths to positive results about a month ago. Changed the whole narrative. We know like, what, about 80% positives mean basically nothing.

So what really does the camp data tell us? Yeah I get the kids could get someone else sick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^

It confirms several things we thought we knew.

1. This Virus is pretty damn contagious and stubborn and moves among gatherings of humans with ease.

2. While we have gotten better with various therapies there is no cure.

3. It will continue to spread as long as people allow it to have various bridges to do so.

4. Most people will be unaffected, many people will see life changing and permanent or long lasting damage. Some will die.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^

It confirms several things we thought we knew.

1. This Virus is pretty damn contagious and stubborn and moves among gatherings of humans with ease.

2. While we have gotten better with various therapies there is no cure.

3. It will continue to spread as long as people allow it to have various bridges to do so.

4. Most people will be unaffected, many people will see life changing and permanent or long lasting damage. Some will die.
    so its mostly about them being spreaders? I still think the shift from death totals to "positive cases" is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^what staff is already sick?
    Atlanta :

The largest school district in the state reported Sunday that 260 employees have tested positive for the coronavirus or are in quarantine because of possible exposure as they prepare for the new school year.

Gwinnett County Public School teachers began in-person pre-planning Wednesday at the 141 facilities throughout the county. By the next day, approximately 260 employees had been excluded from work due to a positive case or contact with a case.

Lot of this is odd.

For example in April we were all clinging to the idea that come the warmer weather this thing would fade like influenza's tend to do. That has proven to be false.

Who knows what it will be like as the colder weather and more indoor centered lifestyle (for most people) of the winter months returns.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Who knows what it will be like as the colder weather and more indoor centered lifestyle (for most people) of the winter months returns.
    Expecting down jacket sales to be through the roof this winter. A nice expedition down jacket and you could enjoy a meal and a beer on the outside deck at the ski area or on your tailgate. Outdoor heaters will probably be in high demand as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    so its mostly about them being spreaders? I still think the shift from death totals to "positive cases" is odd.
    ‘The shift’? Where? The lead graphic on the NYT has been the same for weeks: for the simple, casual observer it has two arrows: Cases, and Deaths. For the past week or so, Cases has trended steadily downward. Deaths, on the other hand, have gone steadily upward. -9% cases today, +36% deaths. Even though Cases are down, there are still 47k.

I don’t see a conspiracy here

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    ‘The shift’? Where? The lead graphic on the NYT has been the same for weeks: for the simple, casual observer it has two arrows: Cases, and Deaths. For the past week or so, Cases has trended steadily downward. Deaths, on the other hand, have gone steadily upward. -9% cases today, +36% deaths. Even though Cases are down, there are still 47k.

I don’t see a conspiracy here

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    wasnt a "conspiracy" comment. Early on the talk of the media was all about deaths...did you forget that in the very beginning the projected #'s were like 2million. Now the story is positive cases. If you didn't notice that shift, well I don't know what to say.

wasnt a "conspiracy" comment. Early on the talk of the media was all about deaths...did you forget that in the very beginning the projected #'s were like 2million. Now the story is positive cases. If you didn't notice that shift, well I don't know what to say.
    I have a problem with the title of this thread. asking if the ski season is over already implies that the ski season has started. that is incorrect and we should definitely focus on this as it is most likely the root of the problem.

#justtheflubro
    bumps are for poor people

Early on the talk of the media was all about deaths...did you forget that in the very beginning the projected #'s were like 2million.
    2 million deaths was a "Do Nothing" model scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    2 million deaths was a "Do Nothing" model scenario.
    And don't forget we still have time to get there. It seems entirely possible to me that this thing could kill 2 million people in the US by the time it's contained.

You know all those skiers that bought AT setups and only use them inbounds - they’re all going to be skiing the backcountry this upcoming winter.

Should we start a thread in slide zone now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

That narrative comes up every year, but at least in CO, the n00bs aren't the ones getting buried.

Lot of this is odd.

For example in April we were all clinging to the idea that come the warmer weather this thing would fade like influenza's tend to do. That has proven to be false.
    We all were?

I recall there was pretty good consensus that it wasn't going to make any difference. Especially in the countries that were suffering outbreaks during warm weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    That narrative comes up every year, but at least in CO, the n00bs aren't the ones getting buried.
    largely here either, though resort skiers wandering out of bounds unprepared do get themselves killed... usually from the top of the lift though.

it probably does mean the accessible, readily-googlable "safe" ~1500' milk runs are gonna be saturated with gapers, but that's hardly news in slc...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    We all were?

I recall there was pretty good consensus that it wasn't going to make any difference. Especially in the countries that were suffering outbreaks during warm weather.
    You recall?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN20F1RG

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-say-quicktake

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...ugh-2020-03-12

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    You know all those skiers that bought AT setups and only use them inbounds - they’re all going to be skiing the backcountry this upcoming winter.
    Trails, National Parks, etc. have all been mobbed this summer so I definitely think that's going to carry over into the winter. Backcountry traffic is likely to be way up.

I guess we will finally test the myths of terrain being ‘skier-controlled’.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...r-as-do-colds/

April 14, 2020

In every scenario modeled, they found that warm weather did not halt transmission. That was because, in the case of the common cold, a large segment of the population typically gets sick and develops immunity by spring. With SARS-CoV-2, however, enough of the population will likely remain vulnerable, allowing it to spread even if transmission is reduced in warmer months.

“It exists,” Marc Lipsitch, professor of epidemiology and one of the paper’s authors, said of the seasonal decline in cases illustrated by the work, “but it’s also certainly not enough of a seasonal fluctuation … to lead it to go away in the summer in the absence of intervention.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

We are arguing over something useless.

You have heard of the royal "WE"?

Maybe you were aware of such studies back in April, meanwhile the average American nitwit was thinking, "Hey, Trump said this will just disappear, murica! fuck yeah".

Go split hairs with Jay P.

We are arguing over something useless.

You have heard of the royal "WE"?

Maybe you were aware of such studies back in April, meanwhile the average American nitwit was thinking, "Hey, Trump said this will just disappear, murica! fuck yeah".

Go split hairs with Jay P.
    Great song: https://youtu.be/TPzU1Uz8ujw

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    largely here either, though resort skiers wandering out of bounds unprepared do get themselves killed... usually from the top of the lift though.

it probably does mean the accessible, readily-googlable "safe" ~1500' milk runs are gonna be saturated with gapers, but that's hardly news in slc...
    Yep. In CO, all low hanging fruit on Berthoud, Loveland, Baldy, RMNP, Butler, Jones, Vail is going to be tracked out like crazy.

Vaccine gonna save the ski season by December at the latest. Just in time for xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Yep. In CO, all low hanging fruit on Berthoud, Loveland, Baldy, RMNP, Butler, Jones, Vail is going to be tracked out like crazy.

The skier compaction might be good for the place.