View Poll Results: Is the 20/21 ski/ride season over?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it's cancelled, we are hosed!

56 21.54%
  • Only if we start putting up statures of Dr. Fauci

12 4.62%
  • I've cancelled my plans on travel, but still hope my local will open.

89 34.23%
  • Full steam ahead, I wear a mask when I ski/ride.

103 39.62%
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I’m gonna sell burritos undercover out of the back of my truck on Teton Pass. Pistono will never figure it out.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I would. BC gear is going to be as hot as bikes were this summer.
    I"am seeing this already in the gear I'am looking for.

I was talking with my wife the other day, who is going to pick up all the hitchhikers on the pass come winter time? Not many this year I suspect.

Stagecoach is clearly over the clusterfuck all these drivers are causing and have started towing cars. WYDOT was over it a year ago. Where are all these people and their cars going to go?
    Live Free or Die

Couldn’t resorts park about 75% of cars, outlaw tailgating, have lodges only open for bathrooms, do f&b out of outdoor tents, and somewhat survive? I realize this won’t work on cold as fuck days but maybe on most days (not New England haha).

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    They won't park cars any further apart.
    They might skip a space, every other car. Then when the row is done go back and fill in the gaps.
    I spend about 10 minutes max at my car and rarely close to the next person booting up.
    Yeah, this problem shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to solve. Just don't park everyone right next to each other. Space 'em out and then go back and fill the holes later. The problem is everyone getting there at the same time in the morning. Everyone doesn't leave at the same time, so it doesn't matter that cars are close to each other at the end of the day.

Just got an email survey from ABasin asking how many days I plan to ski early season (to December). Looks like they’re gauging early season interest already. So maybe they will decide to not open until December?

They won't park cars any further apart.
    They might skip a space, every other car. Then when the row is done go back and fill in the gaps.
    I spend about 10 minutes max at my car and rarely close to the next person booting up.

I think getting employees will be the big challenge.

SkiJ is right. If we all took a season off, we'd survive.
    But would the residents of ski towns survive without jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I was talking with my wife the other day, who is going to pick up all the hitchhikers on the pass come winter time? Not many this year I suspect.

Stagecoach is clearly over the clusterfuck all these drivers are causing and have started towing cars. WYDOT was over it a year ago. Where are all these people and their cars going to go?
    I'd pick up people in the back of my pick up truck. Not sure if that's frowned upon there, but I used to do it in CO all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Just got an email survey from ABasin asking how many days I plan to ski early season (to December). Looks like they’re gauging early season interest already. So maybe they will decide to not open until December?
    You would think they'd try to dial in protocols before the busy season.

there is a n s ridge line near ione nv that is way the fvk out there. somewhat sketch native land.

holds snow. looks to have water. tr to follow..

Parking isn't a problem because of lot spacing (I agree that one is easy to solve). Parking will be a problem (at resorts where it is already somewhat scarce) because nobody will carpool. Eldora has had a initiative to get people to carpool on busy days by giving out bus tickets, preferred parking to cars with 3 or more, and running its own shuttle from Boulder. Don't see any of those working next season, which means the lot will fill up by 8am on weekends.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

famous quote

how many days have you skied?

all of them

But would the residents of ski towns survive without jobs?
    Only speaking for JH, Almost no one left working at JHMR, lives here.

This winter, I'll bet that less than 20% of the employees are locals of 5 years or more. Our town does not revolve entirely around the skiing, although it is unquestionably primary in winter.

I'd pick up people in the back of my pick up truck. Not sure if that's frowned upon there, but I used to do it in CO all the time.
    Hellz yez you can, peeps waiting at the 'coach for a lift up in summer. Ski-hitchers in winter too.
    I did the pick up riders thing for a while. I got tired of peeps just chucking their shit in and treating my vehicle like it was theirs.

JHMR chose this next year to ditch bus passes for all season passholders. They came free with a pass purchase for years. The stupid shit just gets worse.

My plan: park early w/my parking pass, ski early, ski daily, ski hard and bail when it gets weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Parking isn't a problem because of lot spacing (I agree that one is easy to solve). Parking will be a problem (at resorts where it is already somewhat scarce) because nobody will carpool. Eldora has had a initiative to get people to carpool on busy days by giving out bus tickets, preferred parking to cars with 3 or more, and running its own shuttle from Boulder. Don't see any of those working next season, which means the lot will fill up by 8am on weekends.
    The good news is if you manage to get a spot the hill will probably be far less crowded than usual, although reduced lift capacity could make this less awesome than it might otherwise be.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    man that was depressing
    bumps are for poor people

Literally every other car parked at noon on main street in the bozone is out of state plates, and very few are rental cars. Been this way for weeks.

ski early, ski daily, ski hard and bail when it gets weird.
    ^^

i'll work. i'll ski. i'm here. j1 problem? no prob. i'm a skier.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    man that was depressing
    Or inspiring
    I liked how several businesses were reinventing themselves

But yeah. Tourists bring the pain
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Literally every other car parked at noon on main street in the bozone is out of state plates, and very few are rental cars. Been this way for weeks.
    Still folks looking for property?

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Still folks looking for property?
    Probably.

While a lot of people are moving in, the touron pack is very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    If it’s anything like last years early season crowds won’t really be an issue that time of year. I could definitely see it being different though as things are so weird right now.

I didn't get a questionnaire from jhmr; They do not value my input.

As depressing as that article about JH seemed, it's prolly like any tourist town, mid summer, during the first Global Pandemic. Busy from 9-9. Some smart ones, some dumb.
    Same as it ever was...

Things are suspiciously quiet at The Village. Haven't seen any indication of the track rope slipping process about to happen.

If the mountain is closed for 20-21, where will I go ? what would I do? Alpental.

Or the Islands.

Fucking Corona.