Eurostar London to French Alps train cancelled

Yes. This is bad news. The party train (Eurostar from Waterloo to Gare du Nord followed by sleeper to the Tarentaise - used to have a disco carriage, I shit you not) became economically unviable during the financial crisis and never returned. Sincerely hope the direct Eurostar services don't go the same way.

I assume that Eurostar from StP to GdN and then getting the sleeper from Gare de Lyon will still be viable. But getting across Paris at rush hour on a Friday night with ski gear is a pain in the ass.

Assuming anyone can get off plague island next winter, I imagine people will be driving to the mountains.

Traveled sleeper trains to the Alps a few times. Best was to St Anton. Woke up to see the mountains being lit up as if by an enormous flashgun - the overhead wires must have been iced up and the contact arcing. Then get out at the station which used to be closer to the slopes than most of the hotels.

I have two tix on the Eurostar from St Pancras station, London to Gare du Nord, Paris that I won't be able to use. 3rd world COVID America problems.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Only one train in the US. How sad.
    Vancouver to Banff or Jasper in a sleeper is sweet as hell.

that's can bro.

Yes. Read the story. Only train in US is Winter Park. Canadia for the win.

oh i thought you said to us.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Only one train in the US. How sad.
    Vancouver to Banff or Jasper in a sleeper is sweet as hell.
    Only passenger train Vancouver-Banff is the (extremely expensive) summer only Rocky Mountaineer tourist train with an overnight stop in Kamloops.

If you take the Vancouver-Jasper train remember that the timetable is a work of fiction - it is usually delayed by hours because CN give priority to freight trains.