Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

COVID and the college student

Kids driving home today from UVM...will finish out semester/finals at home the next few weeks....will be home till mid January...

The empty nest will be full again....have to get used to....:

-higher food bills
    -higher electric bills
    -heat turned up to 70+
    -doing laundry everyday
    -watching TV in basement
    -not walking around naked

Happy to have them home..lol...just have to make some adjustments....

Mine insisted that he stay at UVM until Wednesday. He has two more fencing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    All winter sports cancelled at darling daughter's college (and league). Spring sports are postponed until at least the end of February.

I feel so bad for these kids.
    As my parents used to say, "you made your bed, now lie in it!"

We're getting exactly what we deserve for our shameful displays of selfishness.

College freshman coming home today for next 7 weeks. Tested negative as of Friday, so hopefully doesnt bring home the cooties

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

My son is coming home this evening from Miami. Tested a few times...all negative. He will be here until at least the middle of January. I can’t worry about the recommended “household member“ only over for Thanksgiving. He is a member of this household. Same with my daughter who lives a few blocks away
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Awesome son's academic advisor tested positive. Room mate tested positive with quickie test, son was negative. Follow up PCR is positive. He's got the Rona and is room restricted for 10 days.

One of darling daughter's house mates was "talking" to a boy who tested positive, and is now confined. No positive tests yet.

Both are staying at skool for Tday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    College freshman coming home today for next 7 weeks. Tested negative as of Friday, so hopefully doesnt bring home the cooties

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We are in the same boat. May test him again tomorrow.

2nd Peruvian child tested positive a week and a half ago and had been quarantined in her bedroom since she first got the contact tracing info. Mild symptoms for a couple of days that could have easily been change of season stuff.

Her MD released her for travel
    tomorrow so she is flying home. The good news is she’s outside of being contagious and within the period of getting it again. Honestly, pretty good timing as we can be together and not quarantine. 1st Peruvian child is coming for thanksgiving and then staying here until her housemates come back and quarantine until they test negative.

Both college kids home from MT until mid-Jan. At this point we're self-quarantining as a family and hoping for the best...

I just picked up my son from Reed in Portland.

They've had a pretty tight, pod oriented dynamic where most classes are online, but students are limited to interaction with those in same classes/major and same dorm. They're encouraged to eat in their rooms, but it wasn't required and they were free to walk around campus, but not leave.

With that approach, there have been around 11 cases identified since July across the entire community, students, faculty and staff. The last identified infections are 6 weeks ago and that pod had to isolate and not leave the dorm.

He's here until late January. We're pretty isolated all the time anyway and most of his socializing is online, so we're good.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I just picked up my son from Reed in Portland.

They've had a pretty tight, pod oriented dynamic where most classes are online, but students are limited to interaction with those in same classes/major and same dorm. They're encouraged to eat in their rooms, but it wasn't required and they were free to walk around campus, but not leave.

With that approach, there have been around 11 cases identified since July across the entire community, students, faculty and staff. The last identified infections are 6 weeks ago and that pod had to isolate and not leave the dorm.

He's here until late January. We're pretty isolated all the time anyway and most of his socializing is online, so we're good.
    We used to walk our dog on the Reed campus and the surrounding neighborhood - now that the campus is closed, just the surrounding neighborhood. They seem to be running a really tight ship, and I'm glad to hear it's working so well.

New pandemic wave unfortunately.

My son is home from UVM and his farts stink.

As stated earlier, my kids are home as well.....and 4 days later their toilet is broke. We woke up to water dripping from ceiling in living room.......good times. That didn’t take long for them to drain my wallet.....

Guess what I’m doing tomorrow.?.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    As stated earlier, my kids are home as well.....and 4 days later their toilet is broke. We woke up to water dripping from ceiling in living room.......good times. That didn’t take long for them to drain my wallet.....

Guess what I’m doing tomorrow.?.
    Selling your kids?

Nah....too old to sell...no market for adult kids....I’m stuck with them now..

I wonder since they are home early from college if I can withdraw money from their 529 plans to pay for home repairs/food/electricity/heating bills caused by them being home instead of at school?? *(totally joking..it is nice to have them home.)

Any rec’s for the best toilet? Maybe I’ll start a toilet thread...lol.

+

The pandemic has changed the lives of many students, and not just students. As a student, I can say that my life has not become easier. The new format of education is very inconvenient for me and therefore causes constant difficulties and misunderstandings. I even wanted to use the services of BuyEssayClub to perform some of my tasks, but when I read their review at https://essayservicescanner.com/buyessayclub-review/, I realized that it is not worth it, because they are not the best you should not rely on. After that, I decided that everything was in my power and began to be as effective as possible during training and my affairs became much better.
    Last edited by Fadeenad; 12-08-2020 at 06:09 PM.

This is fascinating. Heat map showing college kids movements over the TG holiday.

https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/stat...38185144545291

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Any rec’s for the best toilet? Maybe I’ll start a toilet thread...lol.
    *I bought a Kohler at Lowe’s...happy with the last one I got a few years ago...figured what the hell?

It looks like one of my girls has one class for the spring semester and the other has 2 and then they graduate. Unfortunately we may have a problem, the main class they need isn't being offered due to low enrollment. Fuck! That would mean they have to wait until spring semester 2022

We have at least one friend whose kid doesn't want to go back for spring semester classes because it sux sitting at home rather than being in class with other people around. How many people are seeing this? My girls said that if it's still remote in the fall they have no desire to start grad school that way. I'm hearing from friends and family that their HS kids are losing interest too.

Yesterday, I spent the day skiing with a ND student. She told me that something like 40% of the undergraduate student body had been infected with the virus. This is surprising in that at Miami the infection rate was less than 3%.

While, I would imagine that students have to be the last to be vaccinated, I think that next semester will be a lot less stressful than the Fall. I am hoping that in May I will be able to attend some sort of ceremony to watch my son graduate.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Yesterday, I spent the day skiing with a ND student. She told me that something like 40% of the undergraduate student body had been infected with the virus. This is surprising in that at Miami the infection rate was less than 3%.
    Just out of curiosity... why would you believe that her numbers are correct?

Everything about her. Maybe not exact, but definitely not made up either

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Everything about her. Maybe not exact, but definitely not made up either
    So she was young and hot?

Spring semester bump....

Kids are now back up at UVM.....sounds like it is even more strict for the spring semester than it was in the fall....kids are glad to be back in town/on campus but they all/teammates just seem so depressed cuz they thought things would let up this spring....and be better..and now it’s even worse....lol.

They’ve been basically in quarantine for 10 months....weekly negative tests....and they still can’t even hangout with friends in their dorm rooms...it’s just so strict...(it does work/cuz UVM had such low cases......but when will they ever let up?)

Both are counting down the days until they can at least get into their apartment and have some semblance of college life.

How’s/what’s the story on everybody else’s kids as they start the spring semester?
    Last edited by BC.; 01-21-2021 at 05:09 PM.