Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Binge drinker.
    It's a skill as well as a hobby.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, but, employers will be looking at degrees earned from this period for probably a decade or more and think, oh, yeah, Zoom quality for a year or two. No thanks, I'll take the fresh kids that were on campus all four years, or maybe older millenials. It's like trying to compare 2020 baseball stats to years before or after. Forever a big asterisk.
    I’m an employer and I would never, ever think that. I don’t give a shit what classes an undergraduate took. I care about how quickly they learn.

The point is most kids aren’t going to learn shit this year. You will definitely notice.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’m an employer and I would never, ever think that. I don’t give a shit what classes an undergraduate took. I care about how quickly they learn.
    Agreed. Now that I think back on all my former employees, my BEST employees by far have been the ones who never went to or completed college. My absolute WORST ones were the ones with recent degrees, specifically every one of them that was also involved in a fraternity. The lack of work ethics and sense of entitlement from my fresh grads were always the worst. Had more than one new hire not even show up to work their first day, no call/no show, no follow up. Then getting mad when they weren't welcome back later. Haha.

Not to paint with too broad a brush since I've had both great and terrible employees in both camps, but as a generalization that really does seem true upon reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The point is most kids aren’t going to learn shit this year. You will definitely notice.
    Yup. If my kids were fresh out of high school this year, I think I would be HIGHLY encouraging them take a CDL driving course, perhaps welding, ANYTHING blue collar to teach them real world skills, along with an entry level job to apply those skills. THEN after a year or two of that (and the world hopefully going back to normal), I'd be more than happy to send them to University. They'd be FAR more well rounded than any of their Freshman peers by miles. I'd also be totally happy if they chose military, peace corp, or some kind of volunteer work trying to make the world a better place. Heck. I'd join them. "All right kids. Let's go dig some water wells in Africa or South America!" Spend a hundred grand a year paying for lame online courses at a college OR spending a hundred grand giving a few remote villages a clean source of drinking water or serving medical/nutritional needs. Many organizations already equipped to do that. They just need donations and volunteers. Something to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yup. If my kids were fresh out of high school this year, I think I would be HIGHLY encouraging them take a CDL driving course, perhaps welding, ANYTHING blue collar to teach them real world skills, along with an entry level job to apply those skills. THEN after a year or two of that (and the world hopefully going back to normal), I'd be more than happy to send them to University. They'd be FAR more well rounded than any of their Freshman peers by miles. I'd also be totally happy if they chose military, peace corp, or some kind of volunteer work trying to make the world a better place. Heck. I'd join them. "All right kids. Let's go dig some water wells in Africa or South America!" Spend a hundred grand a year paying for lame online courses at a college OR spending a hundred grand giving a few remote villages a clean source of drinking water or serving medical/nutritional needs. Many organizations already equipped to do that. They just need donations and volunteers. Something to think about!
    I think this would be great for my kid and most of the kids of TGR posters. Our kids are very likely to go back to college. Kids coming from less advantaged background are more likely to end up just staying in whatever they found to do. Which might not be a bad thing, but it's something to keep in mind.

I generally love the idea though. I like to fantasize about building my own college during long drives and I'd love to have something akin to what you're describing in lieu of/in addition to study abroad. That type of real world engagement and exploration is what I think is being crowded out by the necessity of immediate, intense pre-professionalism for a lot of students.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Hence the reason docs and pa's go through a year of didactic and 2 years plus of rotations.

BTW, daughter got to put a stitch in her first patient last week. This week, she is being the regular closer for surgeries, four yesterday.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Hence the reason docs and pa's go through a year of didactic and 2 years plus of rotations.

BTW, daughter got to put a stitch in her first patient last week. This week, she is being the regular closer for surgeries, four yesterday.
    Glad it's working out for her. And that's gruesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    That type of real world engagement and exploration is what I think is being crowded out by the necessity of immediate, intense pre-professionalism for a lot of students.
    Yes, yes, and yes! Even when I was graduating HS "way back" in the 90's, the counselors were pushing "College! College! College!" Just straight to college with nothing in between. Seems not much has changed in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post

Badass! Virtual high five! For real. You must be one very proud father.

What makes you think welding classes or Peace Corps activities won't be shut down, too?

That didn't take long....

UNC-Chapel Hill converts to remote learning after reporting 135 new COVID-19 cases within a week of starting classes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...5-new-n1236977

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    That didn't take long....

UNC-Chapel Hill converts to remote learning after reporting 135 new COVID-19 cases within a week of starting classes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...5-new-n1236977
    Did you read the Daily Tarheel editorial? UNC Has a Clusterfuck On its Hands . GOLD:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...245017180.html
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Did you read the Daily Tarheel editorial? UNC Has a Clusterfuck On its Hands . GOLD:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...245017180.html
    But ACC sports are all good.....lol.

sounds like the party line is going to be UNC had a great plan and shouldnt be faulted at all for not taking into account an 18 year old's basic human nature. stupid freshmen should stop being stupid freshmen!

At darling daughter's bucolic campus, the townies and college are already circling for a fight. Off campus housing is of course causing headaches with large yard parties and suspected over habitation.

Let's go dig some water wells in Africa or South America!" Spend a hundred grand a year paying for lame online courses at a college OR spending a hundred grand giving a few remote villages a clean source of drinking water or serving medical/nutritional needs. Many organizations already equipped to do that. They just need donations and volunteers. Something to think about!
    Something else to think about is that the level of desperation in many places far closer to home is worth some attention.
    How weird that Americans fly over Detroit and Flint and Gary Indiana and East St Louis and a bunch of dying little towns in Appalachia and Indian Reservations and on and on to go help some other country.
    Wanna find some people to help? Take a Greyhound from Maine to San Diego and let the holy spirit be your guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    sounds like the party line is going to be UNC had a great plan and shouldnt be faulted at all for not taking into account an 18 year old's basic human nature. stupid freshmen should stop being stupid freshmen!
    Universal. Won't stop.

Uconn students sent home for dorm party.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/students-r...c46379e60.html

I suppose a certain amount of chaos and new cases were to be expected at first with everybody coming in from different parts of the country, and some kids not prepared to take the rules seriously. Be interesting to see how it shakes out a month from now at the schools that don't just throw in the towel and go all virtual. Can they succeed at creating any sort of manageable campus bubble or is it just going to prove impossible to control that age group.

The little man is off, tested and under quarantine, not really the experience I'd hoped for him.

But the opportunity has been planned for so long and now that it's here, it's just odd.

But he has launched and I'm all sappy with 'cats in the cradle' and 'turn around' and shit like that running through my head.

Yeah, so hate me, most do.

Onward Through The Fog.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Best of luck to the young man!

D#1 just started at a large (flagship) state university. After just a few days, her roommate has been sent to 14 day quarantine based on potential exposure. Maybe the school actually has a plan...IDFK...at least D#1 has a single room for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The little man is off, tested and under quarantine, not really the experience I'd hoped for him.

But the opportunity has been planned for so long and now that it's here, it's just odd.

But he has launched and I'm all sappy with 'cats in the cradle' and 'turn around' and shit like that running through my head.

Yeah, so hate me, most do.

Onward Through The Fog.
    I sent two to Montana State last week (sorry Bozeman) and am also hoping that the fog lifts and I don't have to return one or both of them to the nest.

COVID and the college student

Paid 2 tuitions today......I’m broke...sending them off next Friday.
    Last edited by BC.; 08-21-2020 at 01:30 PM.