Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Got the email today that UVM requiring all students to be vaccinated/proof of vaccination….Both kids got vaccinated last spring so no worries for us, but wonder how this requirement will effect enrollment? (I think most UVM students were vaccinated anyway…but will be interesting to see how many don’t return)
    Heh. My story was related above. He got his 2nd shot on July 1st.

As a Burlington resident I’m glad UVM finally got around to requiring the vaccine. I’m sure the fact that applications were up 40% helped with the decision. Plenty of depth if some students bail.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessa...rply-this-year

COVID and the college student

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    As a Burlington resident I’m glad UVM finally got around to requiring the vaccine.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessa...rply-this-year
    In total agreement with you.…although I do think UVM is one of the only schools in the country right now that is “requiring” all students to be vaccinated for enrollment…so they do continue to be a leading model for schools/communities across the country in a new Covid world.
    Last edited by BC.; 07-17-2021 at 09:01 AM.

In total agreement with you.…although I do think UVM is one of the only schools in the country right now that is “requiring” all students to be vaccinated for enrollment…so they do continue to be a leading model for schools/communities across the country in a new Covid world.
    Not the only one - in Washington Whitman College, WSU, UW, CWU and EWU all require students and staff be vaccinated. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I know about.

Edit add: Gonzaga too.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Definitely not the only one. Schools here are requiring it for students, with proof, and requiring employees to confirm vaccination with proof, or agree to minimum once a week testing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

the complete list:
    https://universitybusiness.com/state...ring-vaccines/

Interesting that a lot of big schools in south (eg. UA, GT, Ole Miss, UT) did not make the list, while the 'elite" big schools of the south (Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA) did. Only Westminster in UT
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Not the only one - in Washington Whitman College, WSU, UW, CWU and EWU all require students and staff be vaccinated. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I know about.

Edit add: Gonzaga too.
    Reed and Harvey Mudd as well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    the complete list:
    https://universitybusiness.com/state...ring-vaccines/

Interesting that a lot of big schools in south (eg. UA, GT, Ole Miss, UT) did not make the list, while the 'elite" big schools of the south (Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA) did. Only Westminster in UT
    Thanks for the list…..that’s great. A lot more than I had heard of previously…maybe they are all jumping on board together over the past week/weeks to come. (The more the better)

*could separate list to public vs. private institutions as well to see differences…..

the local private christian college in my town is on that list. it has not gone over well.
    swing your fucking sword.

Are Mormons antivaxxers? If not, what's up with Utah? Just a political thing?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

distrust for the government and ‘ma freedoms’ crowd. Sprinkle in a little anti-vax and a dash of religion and you’ve got Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

UVM letter for COVID testing protocol came today……Move in is next week…..I have one off campus…and one on campus.

God…I hope that vaccine/indoor mask mandate/testing protocols for students will allow UVM to be in-person this semester/year.

2/3 years in…..Kid #1 has only been to actual classes one semester…..and Kid #2 hasn’t even been in an actual college classroom yet.

If school districts can be in person…..so can universities.

Move in complete…..empty nesters again….

Move in complete…..empty nesters again….

UVM letter for COVID testing protocol came today……Move in is next week…..I have one off campus…and one on campus.

God…I hope that vaccine/indoor mask mandate/testing protocols for students will allow UVM to be in-person this semester/year.

2/3 years in…..Kid #1 has only been to actual classes one semester…..and Kid #2 hasn’t even been in an actual college classroom yet.

If school districts can be in person…..so can universities.
    I can’t imagine paying that much money for virtual college.

Just get a U Phoenix online degree for way less. Or just skip college unless you seek a degree you need and can use.

I want my kids to go to college, but pre covid, I’m doubting the value. Now it’s still stupid money, but online? Fuck that shit.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I can’t imagine paying that much money for virtual college.

Just get a U Phoenix online degree for way less. Or just skip college unless you seek a degree you need and can use.

I want my kids to go to college, but pre covid, I’m doubting the value. Now it’s still stupid money, but online? Fuck that shit.
    Yes, the past 2 years was pretty tough to take….knowing what they were missing educationally, socially, athletically and all the experiences that go along with the “college years” was difficult to witness.

We hope all kids will come out of all this as stronger human beings….kids are resilient. Mine are both excited for this year. The campus is buzzing….nice to see.

Kids are both student athletes….so skipping college was not something they/we were willing to do. Being on a team is what got them through the isolation the past 2 years….it was their teammates, coaches, training staff, and some of their really cool professors that really helped create a family and support system for them (even in pandemic isolation on campus and at home).

Daughter 1 is Biology and Daughter 2 is Environmental Science so they definitely wanted/needed the campus college experience and academic programs that UVM has to offer. We are all hoping this is the year it all comes together!
    Last edited by BC.; 08-29-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Nice BC
    Good majors.
    Tell daughter one to become a PA. Way less school and debt. But $90k salary and in demand.

Daughter two is going to save the planet. Thx!
    . . .

Environmental science. 1991 called, they want their major back.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Nice BC
    Good majors.
    Tell daughter one to become a PA. Way less school and debt. But $90k salary and in demand.

Daughter two is going to save the planet. Thx!
    PA is her plan…but creating avenues if her route changes….

Major Biology
    Minor Anthropology
    Minor Public Health

respectfully,

premed. used to mean 'medical school' -

we ( society ) still need Good Doctors. Doctors who have the intellect And the education to think thoughtfully and creatively ( hutash comes to mind. our resident animal Doctor ( The old goat deserves a nod, too ) )

tgr forums probably ain't the best place to be promoting education... but

this community is important to me - and
    I listened a long time yesterday, to a friend who said repeatedly the pandemic is the result of a lack of education. ( Not my argument )

Good luck to the college students ! And to their Families... !

I apologize for the rant - skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 08-28-2021 at 05:59 PM.

We're dropping twin 2 at grad school this weekend and it's much less chaotic on the campus than I expected but I can't say I'm surprised. Pretty much everyone moving around wearing masks on a steamy 95 degree upstate NY day. The kids had to go for a rapid covid test before they were allowed to sign into the dorm rooms and get their student ID. Go from this line to that line, etc.

This is an exciting time for so many “kids” and parents. Kinda a bigger deal, IMO, than previous years because of covid.

I know some very intellectual and big thinker MD’s. I also know several doctors that seem to lack critical thinking skills. It’s surprising to me because they are GP’s or pediatricians. In college in the 90’s, my degree (biochemistry), was one of the typical “premed” degrees and I worked at a brainwave research lab afterwards. In school and at the research lab, I knew plenty of undergrads who went on the med school that were dumb as doornails (ie lacked critical thinking skills) but were great at memorizing.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 08-28-2021 at 04:46 PM.

U of U and Utah State are now requiring students to be vaccinated. Exeptions are religious and medical, so basically, they're not requiring it.

My vaccinated, mask wearing kid's in the middle of this shitshow right now..

https://www.ou.edu/together/dashboard
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My brother in Iowa City just dropped off one of his kids at Loyola in Chicago.

Fingers crossed for all the college students and all you parents for a successful and healthy school year.